GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Is Protein amount a myth?

I have a detailed excel workbook and I have tracked everything I’ve done exercise and diet wise since 4 June 2018.

On 24 Dec 2019 I was 49 years old and 209 lbs. with 15.8% Body fat at 6’ 2” tall. This was according to a digital scale I bought and yes, I know they are not very accurate but it gave me a repeatable baseline.

Calipers had me at 13.6% BF but are a pain to use so I use the scale knowing there is about a 2% difference.

I decided to experiment with my protein intake and on 30 Dec 2019 had started an additional 170g of protein powder a day with eating breakfast and dinner which put me at around 200g of protein a day when before I was just eating three meals a day and exercising.

On 1 Sept 2021 I was 192.4 Lbs. with 14.1% BF on the scale.

So in almost two years of 200g of protein a day there really hasn’t been a significant increase or decrease IMO.

The bodyweight decrease can be attributed to a small increase in cardio over those two years but honestly, I don’t look or feel much different.

So what do you all think? Is protein intake highly exaggerated or is it really that important and I’m just the exception to the rule?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    What are you even expecting it to do? In what sense is it a "myth"?

Also, you didn't tell us what your protein intake was before adding the additional 170g

I think the bottom line is going to be that you haven't controlled for any other factors that influence whatever outcome it is you are trying to measure... not sure what this can tell us.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not an exception to crappy training and nutrition/stat tracking, excel spreadsheet or not. Think you're focusing on the wrong variable.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Also, you didn't tell us what your protein intake was before adding the additional 170g
    30g/day apparently, which obviously wasn't accurate.

Originally Posted by GrumpyLumpy View Post
    I decided to experiment with my protein intake and on 30 Dec 2019 had started an additional 170g of protein powder a day with eating breakfast and dinner which put me at around 200g of protein a day when before I was just eating three meals a day and exercising.

So in almost two years of 200g of protein a day ...

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would suggest reading ALL of the stickies in this section and the exercise section. Its clear you don’t understand any of the basic concepts. And to make zero progress in 2 full years is a darn shame.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GrumpyLumpy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What are you even expecting it to do? In what sense is it a "myth"?

I think the bottom line is going to be that you haven't controlled for any other factors that influence whatever outcome it is you are trying to measure... not sure what this can tell us.
    I would eat an egg sandwich for breakfast, a can of soup or a tuna sandwich for lunch and usually chicken or steak for dinner with a vegetable and starch.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Not an exception to crappy training and nutrition/stat tracking, excel spreadsheet or not. Think you're focusing on the wrong variable.
    What variable do you suggest tracking when doing a protein increase experiment?

30g/day apparently, which obviously wasn't accurate.
    30g a day sometimes less.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this... OP, how have your lifts progressed? what kind of program are you doing?

we have no idea why you're only telling us about your protein intake instead of the countless other critical variables

edit: i just read your newest post and might've misunderstood what you were asking, but oh well

You could prob trash your spreadsheet and do a training program improvement "experiment", and see better results.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Are you doing any progression with your lifts? By progression I mean every week or two you do an additional repetition to each set, or you increase the weight a little bit and do the same number or reps, or a combination of both.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You didn't say what you are expecting to happen...?

I would be hard put to keep my protein intake under 100g a day just from regular food - without any supplemental protein.

If you are over 1.6g per kg of target bodyweight then no, you can't expect any additional effect on muscle growth if that's what you are getting at.

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    this... OP, how have your lifts progressed? what kind of program are you doing?

we have no idea why you're only telling us about your protein intake instead of the countless other critical variables

edit: i just read your newest post and might've misunderstood what you were asking, but oh well
    The only thing I changed was my protein intake.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Are you doing any progression with your lifts? By progression I mean every week or two you do an additional repetition to each set, or you increase the weight a little bit and do the same number or reps, or a combination of both.
    All my work outs are the same intentionally to see if the increased protein would changed my physique.

You didn't say what you are expecting to happen...?

I would be hard put to keep my protein intake under 100g a day just from regular food - without any supplemental protein.

If you are over 1.6g per kg of target bodyweight then no, you can't expect any additional effect on muscle growth if that's what you are getting at.
    I was hoping for a increase in muscle mass but with the only change being the increased protein and no noticeable change in my physique I guess I answered my own question and didn't need to post here.

Have a good day all.

I was hoping for a increase in muscle mass but with the only change being the increased protein and no noticeable change in my physique I guess I answered my own question and didn't need to post here.
    Correct, the myth you yourself created that increasing protein intake on its own, without proper training and overall nutrition, will result in a noticeable increase in muscle mass - is just that, a myth. Good luck!

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would eat an egg sandwich for breakfast, a can of soup or a tuna sandwich for lunch and usually chicken or steak for dinner with a vegetable and starch.

30g a day sometimes less.

You say you only ate 30gm of protein a day, in the same post you list several meals that contain substantial amounts of protein. Its not a myth, its “the Legend of the crappiest spreadsheet ever”
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    All my work outs are the same intentionally to see if the increased protein would changed my physique.
    Expecting a positive change in physique with no change in physical demands is foolish. Anyone with even a bit of knowledge of training theory could have told you that.

What a waste of 2 years.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I use the scale knowing there is about a 2% difference.
    The difference is much larger than you think it is.

For example: "So one could lose 4% body fat, yet BIA might show an increase in body fat of 4%."

https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls...impedance-bia/