Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Single-Leg Leg Press For Sartorius?

Hello!

My goal is to develop a more complete physique for my legs.

I perform pressing compounds (Squats / Leg Press / Hack Squats) for overall size, vastus lateralis, and vastus medialis focus.

I perform leg extensions / sissy squats for rectus femoris focus.

I perform hip abduction and hip adduction to take care of the smaller muscles, but while the satorius can be activated by abduction, it doesn't really feel that way at all. I can't wrap my mind around how abduction would work the sartorius, and frankly I can't see my sartorius at all.

So I'm considering performing single-leg leg presses in an attempt to focus on the sartorius, using this machine instead of bulgarian split squats, just so I can focus 100% on the muscles and ignore balance.

I got the idea from the below:
    There are many muscles that cross over the pelvic girdle and the
    coxofemoral joint, which provide stability and strength. The starting position of
    the BSS with the rear elevated leg places the coxal joint in an extended position,
    while the opposite coxal joint of the front leg in a small flexed position. The rear
    leg recruits the gluteus maximus, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps
    femoris long head, and the adductor magnus. With the front leg recruits the
    psoas major, iliacus, pectineus, rectus femoris, adductor brevis, adductor brevis
    tensor fascia lata, sartorius, and the gracilis. Rotation of the knee will result in
    adduction or abduction of the coxal joint. If there is abduction (knee externally
    rotated) there will be requiring more force from; gluteus medius, gluteus minimus,
    tensor fascia lata, gluteus maximus, psoas major, iliacus, and Sartorius. While if
    there is adduction (knee internally rotated) will require more force from;
    pectineus, adductor brevis, adductor, longus, adductor magnus, and gracilis
    (Whiting & Rugg, 2015).
    https://scholarworks.uni.edu/cgi/vie...61&context=etd

Do you think there is merit in this, or maybe just a waste of time / fatigue that could better be put towards other exercises? Also, my eyes keep glazing over this text, so if someone could help me out, would appreciate it. I would perform the single-leg leg press with knees externally rotated to focus on the sartorius. Is this what they mean by externally rotated knees?

*edit*

Functionally, I believe the above exercise emulates the woman on the right in the image below, unless I'm mistaken.

It's an extreme example, but more or less what I'm trying to figure out
    Last edited by Camarija; 09-03-2021 at 09:40 PM.
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lying leg curls would be better

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Lying leg curls would be better
    Thank you! I'm a dumb.

Just because it's around the quads and the inside I kept thinking it was a pushing muscle, but it's really not.

I think this probably 'isolates' the movement pattern best?

But yeah, I'm probably not going to waste time / fatigue on single leg pressing movements

Thanks Bro!
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► Progress Pictures

jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Isn't that muscle worked with sumo deadlifts, sumo squats, jefferson squats?

Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Isn't that muscle worked with sumo deadlifts, sumo squats, jefferson squats?
    I'm still trying to figure this out!!! Maybe?

I think these are all the functions:
    • Hip flexion:
      Bending at the hip, as when you march in place with high knees
    • Hip abduction:
      Moving your leg away from your midline, as when you take a step to the side
    • External hip rotation:
      Rotating your leg outward so your thigh, knee, and toes turn toward the side of the room
    • Knee flexion:
      Bending your knee to draw your heel toward your glutes

So like I mentioned, I think the best exercise to 'isolate' the sartorius would be those funky cable pulls using ankle cuffs. It seems to check off pretty much all of the movement functions.

ANNNYWAY, I'm going to try them out for a couple of mesocycles during my bulk and we'll see how it turns out after I finish my cut in the Spring.
    ► Progress Pictures

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you figured it out. I mentioned the sartorius here: https://www.healthierwithscience.com...es-and-thighs/, just search for "sartorius" and you'll see it and you can watch the associated video to better visualize it.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think trying to isolate the sartorius is a losing battle. It isn’t the primary mover in anything, yet assist in knee flexion and hip flexion.

However, it best worked on leg curl variations (particularly the lying variation) because it can shorten the most and then lengthen under load.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think trying to isolate the sartorius is a losing battle. It isn’t the primary mover in anything, yet assist in knee flexion and hip flexion.

However, it best worked on leg curl variations (particularly the lying variation) because it can shorten the most and then lengthen under load.
    This. Over complicating it.

Edit: BeginnerGainz isn't over complicating it, I'm saying trying to target the sartorius.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the Facebook Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.facebook.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr8jYRGthLppGdQhf8mw5Mg

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    I think you figured it out. I mentioned the sartorius here: https://www.healthierwithscience.com...es-and-thighs/, just search for "sartorius" and you'll see it and you can watch the associated video to better visualize it.
    Thank you sir! This is perfect

Ok, I understand what you mean now. Lying Leg Curl may not follow the entire range of motion, but you can load it the heaviest in the Shortened (peak) position. That makes sense, thank you!

Originally Posted by MG5 View Post
    This. Over complicating it.

Edit: BeginnerGainz isn't over complicating it, I'm saying trying to target the sartorius.
    Thanks bro, yeah I just couldn't wrap my mind around how the sartorius works.

I still think having a popping sartorius would give me a competitive advantage.
    ► Progress Pictures

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks like side to side squats/lunges would work it.

Just find several calisthenics or loaded carry exercises that will incorporate it. Maybe there's some kettlebell stability work for it.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Looks like side to side squats/lunges would work it.

Just find several calisthenics or loaded carry exercises that will incorporate it. Maybe there's some kettlebell stability work for it.
    it's not very intuitive at all.

From my understanding, I think it works more with pulling instead of pushing.

Per Heisman's link, think of the motion of crossing your ankle over your knee while seated. The act of bringing your ankle up along that vector seems to activate it. And when your ankle is resting along your knee, the sartorius is in a straight line. Try it out and I think you can feel the MMC. It's a really weird muscle, but it looks really cool to complete the look!!
    Last edited by Camarija; 09-15-2021 at 10:45 PM.
    ► Progress Pictures