Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    As others have mentioned it’s hard to say exactly what’s going wrong as your overall pressing volume probably is too high. No amount of calories can make up for volume past a certain point. This week try doing half the number of sets you would do on a normal week, doing 2-3 reps less per set with the same weight and try 175-180 again next week. It might not show a difference on the very next week but I would be willing to bet 175 will feel much lighter and 180 will be doable the week after.
    Dentist
    Bodybuilder
    83 kg USAPL Midwest Regional Champion
    Best Lifts:
    Squat: 525
    Bench: 330
    Dead: 585

MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Based on your complaint, neither is working out for you.

Your lower body gets short shrift in your routine.
    Yeah that's intentional because of my past knee surgeries. Anything I can improve on aside from that though?

MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MisterNoGains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SKYHIGHFitness View Post
    As others have mentioned it’s hard to say exactly what’s going wrong as your overall pressing volume probably is too high. No amount of calories can make up for volume past a certain point. This week try doing half the number of sets you would do on a normal week, doing 2-3 reps less per set with the same weight and try 175-180 again next week. It might not show a difference on the very next week but I would be willing to bet 175 will feel much lighter and 180 will be doable the week after.
    Yeah I tried that, this past week I actually skipped my other chest day as my shoulder was slightly irritated but I feel weaker if anything. I'm willing to try it again though, so should I cut my volume moving forward?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MisterNoGains View Post
    Yeah I tried that, this past week I actually skipped my other chest day as my shoulder was slightly irritated but I feel weaker if anything. I'm willing to try it again though, so should I cut my volume moving forward?
    Try something else. Example: do an UL & lower the volume. Bench both days (not exact same scheme both days), & stop obsessing about your BP. That's how the rest of your body ends up lagging.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My main goal is putting on size so I hit everything, bench is the only thing I'm focused on for strength.
    Yeah that's intentional because of my past knee surgeries. Anything I can improve on aside from that though?
    You're the kind of person that's hard to help. You want help from people observant enough to help with your very specific problem but not observant enough to see the holes in your program so you leave out information like your bench focus or knee problems. This has been going on for a while so good luck.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000) SKYHIGHFitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sounds like you skipped volume less specific to your bench and then pushed bench itself even harder. Try applying a drop in volume to bench itself as bench fatigue will always have the largest affect on bench strength, logically.
    Dentist
    Bodybuilder
    83 kg USAPL Midwest Regional Champion
    Best Lifts:
    Squat: 525
    Bench: 330
    Dead: 585

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Change your whole plan. If you want to improve your bench and your overall strength,

Make sure your bench frequency is 2x week.

Also, training 6 days a week is fine for precontest prep but not for chasing size and strength.

Upper

Off
    Lower
    Off
    Upper
    Off
    Lower
    Off

Or

Upper
    Lower
    Off off
    Upper
    Lower
    Off
    Off

…change it.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Sorry, but I'm a late contributor to this thread. How many working sets do you do per week for chest? I do 6. But I'm a frail little old guy. 2 60 pound dumb bells for about 25 reps is about my current max. I just do 22 reps per set.

Hey, maybe substitute some DB presses for bench presses?
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Sorry, but I'm a late contributor to this thread. How many working sets do you do per week for chest? I do 6. But I'm a frail little old guy. 2 60 pound dumb bells for about 25 reps is about my current max. I just do 22 reps per set.

Hey, maybe substitute some DB presses for bench presses?
    I do 15-18 sets per week. I tried doing strictly DB press instead of benching about a year ago and it went okay but hit a wall quick. At the moment I can do 75 lb dbs on incline for 3 sets of 6-8.

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Change your whole plan. If you want to improve your bench and your overall strength,

Make sure your bench frequency is 2x week.

Also, training 6 days a week is fine for precontest prep but not for chasing size and strength.

Upper

Off
    Lower
    Off
    Upper
    Off
    Lower
    Off

Or

Upper
    Lower
    Off off
    Upper
    Lower
    Off
    Off

…change it.
    I'm currently lifting 5 days a week, 2 push days, 2 pull days, and 1 pull day. I'm guessing I should cut it back? Is the reasoning behind this to get more rest?

Originally Posted by SKYHIGHFitness View Post
    Sounds like you skipped volume less specific to your bench and then pushed bench itself even harder. Try applying a drop in volume to bench itself as bench fatigue will always have the largest affect on bench strength, logically.
    So should I be increasing volume specific to bench or dropping it to prevent fatigue?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Try something else. Example: do an UL & lower the volume. Bench both days (not exact same scheme both days), & stop obsessing about your BP. That's how the rest of your body ends up lagging.
    Yeah my main goal is to have a good physique, benching two plates is what I use as a gauge for my progress and also a milestone I wanted to hit.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah my main goal is to have a good physique, benching two plates is what I use as a gauge for my progress and also a milestone I wanted to hit.
    You said that earlier too but you're still complaining only about your bench. Your squat, DL, rows and pullups prob all aren't progressing either.

Judge your progress by the mirror if your main goal is to have a good physique - which you can do without BPing at all. You still need a suitable program for yourself though.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My main goal is putting on size so I hit everything, bench is the only thing I'm focused on for strength.
    Your programming is a mess.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Little update, hit bench again today and tried 170lbs again. I got 8x8x7, with a large rest before the last set and it still felt a little shaky. I'm starting to think my triceps and what's failing me, also my horrendous forward shoulder/hunched posture probably isn't helping much either. My back is stiff as a board so it's hard keeping my shoulders pinned back.

Overall I feel like my progress on push has stalled no matter what I do and feeling pretty demotivated honestly. My last deload week was about 7-8 weeks ago, is it time to take another? I'm thinking of switching my routine and doing 3x5 for bench, is that too few reps for a middle ground between strength and hypertrophy?
    You should abandon your bench goal and focus on mid back. Find a way to support your chest. And do facepulls. And hip bridges.

All your front exercise is ruining your posture. Work your rear delts and cut out the inclined press. Do a lying stretch of your hip flexers.

It will take time, but eventually the stronger back muscle will pull your posture into place.

Remove the blinders off your eyes. Pressing 2 big plates on both sides is not important. Sounds like an emotional issue if you are neglecting a hunch back.

I bet the hunch back made the bb row lead to injury. No more unsupported heavy rows.

And db row and chin ups just work lats. You need wide grip row for the mid back. Find a way to make it happen. Put your bench on top of crates and the bb under the bench if you have to.

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I also noticed my posture is pretty bad, I have rounded shoulders which has prevented me from doing dips as it hurts my sternum. I wonder if this carries over to bench. Everything is 6-12 reps, lower end for the heavy lifts and on the higher end for the isolations.

My current routine:

Push A-
    Bench
    Machine press
    Incline DB flies
    Lateral raises
    2 tricep exercises

Pull A -
    Weighted pull ups
    DB row
    One arm lat pull down
    Face pull
    Shrugs
    2 bicep exercises

Legs -
    Squad
    SL deadlift
    Leg curls
    Split squats
    Calf raises

Rest

Push B -
    Incline DB press
    Machine press (usually do dips but can't at the moment because of the chest pain)
    Cable flyes
    Lateral raises
    2 tricep exercises

Pull B -
    Weighted pull ups
    Lat pull down
    Chest supported machine row
    DB rear delt flies
    2 bicep exercises

Rest

Repeat.

I like the facepulls, rear dumbbell flies, and chest supported machine rows. You can loop the nylon straps of some plastic handles around the machine handles to get wide grip and work the mid back.

I do 15-18 sets per week. I tried doing strictly DB press instead of benching about a year ago and it went okay but hit a wall quick. At the moment I can do 75 lb dbs on incline for 3 sets of 6-8.

I'm currently lifting 5 days a week, 2 push days, 2 pull days, and 1 pull day. I'm guessing I should cut it back? Is the reasoning behind this to get more rest?

So should I be increasing volume specific to bench or dropping it to prevent fatigue?

Big muscle groups like chest and back need less volume than small ones like triceps and biceps. Do 6 sets total each of your 2 days for chest, then add on tricep work after. Aim for 12 per week big stuff and 18 per week small stuff, which is also worked in the compound movements.

So between db press, incline bp, and flat, etc, make all your sets add to 12 for the week.

Twice a week is fine, but spreading it over 3 days may be better.

As for your physique, big muscles won't look great with a hunch back, though are better of course than a fat back. Focusing on wide grip mid back, rear delts, facepulls, hip bridges, and a few other things will eventually pull that back straighter.

Are you literally going to reply to each of OPs posts in this thread over the last 3 months?

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    You will grow as fast as naturally possible making progress in the 5-8 rep range.
    Any studies on this? I’ve seen a lot more of “everything works” than what is absolutely optimal.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    Any studies on this? I’ve seen a lot more of “everything works” than what is absolutely optimal.
    To be clear, “absolutely optimal “ is probably going to take more holistic training. However….

Based on 1- my own 40 plus years of iron work and 2- 20 plus years as a football coach training kids 3- my time as a strength coach and fitness instructor 4- observation of some of the biggest, baddest dudes on the planet.

Could 8-10 or 8-12 be optimal ? Maybe for some, not for all. I have NEVER seen hard training in the 5-8 rep range fail anyone but certainly have seen many spin wheels with more moderate training.

Ultimately, 5-8 is a sensible range when pushing for BOTH size and strength.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Any update here”no gains?”

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Swap your username, seriously. See if that helps.
    My god did I lol @ this. Love you guys , no homo .

OP , as mentioned your doing too many reps at higher weights . I’d warm up and when you hit 135 , do a few sets of 5 max .
    Then add 10 pounds and do a few reps , and repeat .
    Btw how frequently do you bench . I wouldn’t exceed one time a week . I actually can only improve if I do it even less ,like 7 days of rest in between, or I can feel muscle fatigue the next time .
    Took me 1.5 years from start to finish to hit 225 , and I gained 30 pounds of muscle.
    Imo I was overtraining back then, and could do it sooner if I could do it all over again
    Make Misc great again