Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MisterNoGains View Post
    My main goal is mass, but as a side goal it would be nice to hit 225, it would be a huge milestone for me.
    The weight will come in time.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    The weight will come in time.
    So should I just stick to what I'm doing? My bench has only gone up about 30 pounds since May.

jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't have an advice, I'm just curious. Only your bench is stalling? Can I assume your other lifts are getting better and your other muscle groups are bigger (back, legs, arms) except your chest that remains small?

MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterNoGains will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    I don't have an advice, I'm just curious. Only your bench is stalling? Can I assume your other lifts are getting better and your other muscle groups are bigger (back, legs, arms) except your chest that remains small?
    In terms of lifts everything on my pull day is progressing nicely, especially my weighted pull ups. The three lifts of mine that are stalling are all on my push days: bench, incline DB press, and seated DB shoulder press. It's hard to say which muscles are actually growing in size though, I'm a bad judge at that.

coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Little update, hit bench again today and tried 170lbs again. I got 8x8x7, with a large rest before the last set and it still felt a little shaky. I'm starting to think my triceps and what's failing me, also my horrendous forward shoulder/hunched posture probably isn't helping much either. My back is stiff as a board so it's hard keeping my shoulders pinned back.

Overall I feel like my progress on push has stalled no matter what I do and feeling pretty demotivated honestly. My last deload week was about 7-8 weeks ago, is it time to take another? I'm thinking of switching my routine and doing 3x5 for bench, is that too few reps for a middle ground between strength and hypertrophy?
    So a week later…I thought you were going to eat big and train hard and evaluate over a month

If you got 8 on your first two sets, you have obviously improved since your earlier posts.

I have never been a fan of getting an easy 8 and then repeatedly using the same weight.

Pick a rep range like 5-8 and use the heaviest weight you can handle in that range. Train to failure instead of ending sets at some predetermined number.

For example “get 8 to graduate “

Warmup 95x5
    Set 1 180x8! Congratulations you graduate!
    Set 2 185 x 6 (failure)
    Set 3 185x 5 (failure)

Next workout
    Set 1 185x7( improved)
    Set 2 185x5
    Set 3 185x4

Next workout

Set 1 185x8 graduation!
    Set 2 190x7
    Set 3 190x5

Just keep adding 5 pounds when you get 8 perfect reps
    Last edited by coachcalande; 09-08-2021 at 02:22 AM.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    So a week later…I thought you were going to eat big and train hard and evaluate over a month ������

If you got 8 on your first two sets, you have obviously improved since your earlier posts.

I have never been a fan of getting an easy 8 and then repeatedly using the same weight.

Pick a rep range like 5-8 and use the heaviest weight you can handle in that range. Train to failure instead of ending sets at some predetermined number.

For example “get 8 to graduate “

Warmup 95x5
    Set 1 180x8! Congratulations you graduate!
    Set 2 185 x 6 (failure)
    Set 3 185x 5 (failure)

Next workout
    Set 1 185x7( improved)
    Set 2 185x5
    Set 3 185x4

Next workout

Set 1 185x8 graduation!
    Set 2 190x7
    Set 3 190x5

Just keep adding 5 pounds when you get 8 perfect reps
    This sounds pretty great honestly and very doable, will this be good for hypertrophy too?

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This sounds pretty great honestly and very doable, will this be good for hypertrophy too?
    Gaining strength at all is pretty much always good for hypertrophy in the long run, if not the short run as well.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You will grow as fast as naturally possible making progress in the 5-8 rep range.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

You will grow as fast as naturally possible making progress in the 5-8 rep range.
    Awesome i'll try it out.

A mix it up approach for you as well…

Multiple sets, pyramid style

1- select weight to target an 8 rep max
    2- add to target 5 reps
    3- add to target 3 reps
    4- add to target a single

For example
    1 175x8
    2 185x5
    3 195 x3
    4 205x 1

Quick update, got 175 lbs 8x7x6 today. Haven't been eating as much the past few days because of life getting in the way so I'm sure I otherwise could've gotten more but things felt good. I'll try 180 lbs next week.

Quick update, got 175 lbs 8x7x6 today. Haven't been eating as much the past few days because of life getting in the way so I'm sure I otherwise could've gotten more but things felt good. I'll try 180 lbs next week.
    Good for you! Keep grinding.

Another update, finally hit 180 lbs for 8 today. I got 180 lbs 8x4x4. The second set felt sketchy and I felt I could've gotten more reps, not sure why that happened but in any case I'll try 185 lbs next week.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What he said.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Another update, finally hit 180 lbs for 8 today. I got 180 lbs 8x4x4. The second set felt sketchy and I felt I could've gotten more reps, not sure why that happened but in any case I'll try 185 lbs next week.
    Yeah Buddy!

Another update: I had some pain in my rotator cuff and elbow tendons so I skipped my push/pull days over the weekend to get some rest. I went back into the gym today and tried 185 lbs. I got 6 3 0. First set I actually got 7, but my spotter but his fingers on the bar and said he barely helped, I feel like I could've gotten it so was a bit bummed but I'll count it as 6. Second set same thing, I feel I could've gotten 4 but my spotter jumped in after 3. Third set I have no idea what happened, couldn't get a single rep.

Not sure if I should repeat 185 next week or try 190.

Another update: I had some pain in my rotator cuff and elbow tendons so I skipped my push/pull days over the weekend to get some rest. I went back into the gym today and tried 185 lbs. I got 6 3 0. First set I actually got 7, but my spotter but his fingers on the bar and said he barely helped, I feel like I could've gotten it so was a bit bummed but I'll count it as 6. Second set same thing, I feel I could've gotten 4 but my spotter jumped in after 3. Third set I have no idea what happened, couldn't get a single rep.

Not sure if I should repeat 185 next week or try 190.

Try not to be so anal retentive about it. Relax, have some fun! Staying with 185 seems most logical if you are battling pain. If you are feeling your oats, go ahead and try more. None of its going to make you smaller- but always LIVE TO LIFT ANOTHER DAY by putting a premium on safety.

Now knowing that you can get your 225…consider eating like a pig for a week and blasting off into OCTOBER with that 225 bench!

Try not to be so anal retentive about it. Relax, have some fun! Staying with 185 seems most logical if you are battling pain. If you are feeling your oats, go ahead and try more. None of its going to make you smaller- but always LIVE TO LIFT ANOTHER DAY by putting a premium on safety.

Now knowing that you can get your 225…consider eating like a pig for a week and blasting off into OCTOBER with that 225 bench!
    Thanks, I think sometimes I take it too seriously and in turn that makes me psych myself out haha. The pain is 90% gone, rotator cuff is slightly sore now but mostly gone so I feel good. Also been a bit sloppy with the diet and not eating enough so that could be another factor. Maybe next week I'll try a set of 190 and then go back down to 185 for the last 2 sets? Might also try the 225 on my other push day, the one I don't bench and only do DBs.

Thanks, I think sometimes I take it too seriously and in turn that makes me psych myself out haha. The pain is 90% gone, rotator cuff is slightly sore now but mostly gone so I feel good. Also been a bit sloppy with the diet and not eating enough so that could be another factor. Maybe next week I'll try a set of 190 and then go back down to 185 for the last 2 sets? Might also try the 225 on my other push day, the one I don't bench and only do DBs.
    Repeat after me: It’s better to miss a workout than a meal.

Repeat after me: It’s better to miss a workout than a meal.
    Yeah going to make a real effort to stay on top of my meals. If I hit 225 for 1 my goal would be to rep out 225 by New Years.

Updating this thread after a while. I worked my way up to 195 lbs for 5 reps after a very long plateau. I'm doing something wrong and I just can't pinpoint it. I'm eating enough calories and getting enough protein (at least 200 lbs a day), if anything I've put on more fat than I would like and have gone up 3 lbs on the scale in just 1.5 months. I'm still benching once a week and hitting chest twice a week.

I tried 200 lbs today and couldn't get a single rep. Went down to 185, same thing not a single rep. With all the time and energy I'm putting into the gym I'm on the verge of just giving up lifting altogether as clearly I'm doing something wrong when other people can hit 225 in no time. DB incline bench I'm still stuck at 75 lbs, stuck on weighted chin ups too. So overall barely any improvement from when I first made this thread. My physique still looks terrible too. I honestly don't know what to change.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you need to focus less on bench and focus more on everything else.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Bench twice a week. Pretty sure that was early advice.

superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you can get 170 for 8 you can do 225 for sure, you are just a crybaby who is afraid to bring it in the gym, you have to ''attack'' the weights, learn to explode, everything fast, nothing slow, up fast, down fast, always as fast as possible, always scream, always as loud as possible, always the belt very tight, you'll thank me later
    John 3:16

Natty for life
    Red for life
    I'm not really 50, I'm 44, idk how to change the age
    Autism crew (Asperger's syndrome)
    High test crew
    Bald crew
    MAGA crew
    Guys stop making me green! I actually enjoy being red! It's more alpha!
    Born again Christian crew
    Heavy metal crew

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As much as you complain about it, I bet your BP is still your strongest lift (relatively speaking).

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP ,are you trying to PR after doing 3 sets of 175?
    If so you’ve already burnt yourself out . I warm up with bar . Then throw on a 25 for a set . Next I’ll do 135 for a few sets of 8 . After that I’ll do 155 for 6 . Then I go all in at 225 , buts that’s because I know I can .

If I was you I’d do 135 for 8 as I did . Then go to 155 and do 6 reps . After that I’d keep adding 10 pounds each set and doing a maximum of 4 Reps till you can’t do 4 reps any more .
    You’ll notice that you’ll be adding weight each week .
    Asteroid can’t get here soon enough crew

Super straight crew

Never got a life crew

Sloots are never yours,it’s just your turn

Turn them upside down and there all sisters

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    I think you need to focus less on bench and focus more on everything else.
    My main goal is putting on size so I hit everything, bench is the only thing I'm focused on for strength.

Bench twice a week. Pretty sure that was early advice.
    How would I fit it in my routine? My other chest day I do heavy DB press.

Originally Posted by superman704 View Post
    If you can get 170 for 8 you can do 225 for sure, you are just a crybaby who is afraid to bring it in the gym, you have to ''attack'' the weights, learn to explode, everything fast, nothing slow, up fast, down fast, always as fast as possible, always scream, always as loud as possible, always the belt very tight, you'll thank me later
    Maybe it's in my head because I got 195 for 5 reps last week and I couldn't even get 200 for 1 this week, or 185 for 1 after that 200 attempt.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    As much as you complain about it, I bet your BP is still your strongest lift (relatively speaking).
    Yeah it could be, which probably isn't a great thing since my bench isn't even that strong. Makes me wonder if I'm making any progress at all.

Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    OP ,are you trying to PR after doing 3 sets of 175?
    If so you’ve already burnt yourself out . I warm up with bar . Then throw on a 25 for a set . Next I’ll do 135 for a few sets of 8 . After that I’ll do 155 for 6 . Then I go all in at 225 , buts that’s because I know I can .

If I was you I’d do 135 for 8 as I did . Then go to 155 and do 6 reps . After that I’d keep adding 10 pounds each set and doing a maximum of 4 Reps till you can’t do 4 reps any more .
    You’ll notice that you’ll be adding weight each week .
    Nah I only did that once. What I normally do is the bar for 12, 95 for 8, 135 for 5 then my working set.

I also noticed my posture is pretty bad, I have rounded shoulders which has prevented me from doing dips as it hurts my sternum. I wonder if this carries over to bench. Everything is 6-12 reps, lower end for the heavy lifts and on the higher end for the isolations.

My current routine:

Push A-
    Bench
    Machine press
    Incline DB flies
    Lateral raises
    2 tricep exercises

Pull A -
    Weighted pull ups
    DB row
    One arm lat pull down
    Face pull
    Shrugs
    2 bicep exercises

Legs -
    Squad
    SL deadlift
    Leg curls
    Split squats
    Calf raises

Rest

Push B -
    Incline DB press
    Machine press (usually do dips but can't at the moment because of the chest pain)
    Cable flyes
    Lateral raises
    2 tricep exercises

Pull B -
    Weighted pull ups
    Lat pull down
    Chest supported machine row
    DB rear delt flies
    2 bicep exercises

Rest

Repeat.

superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000) superman704 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Op I feel like slapping you in the face until you are bleeding profusely, I want you to understand the meaning of true intensity
    John 3:16

Natty for life
    Red for life
    I'm not really 50, I'm 44, idk how to change the age
    Autism crew (Asperger's syndrome)
    High test crew
    Bald crew
    MAGA crew
    Guys stop making me green! I actually enjoy being red! It's more alpha!
    Born again Christian crew
    Heavy metal crew

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My main goal is putting on size so I hit everything, bench is the only thing I'm focused on for strength.
    Based on your complaint, neither is working out for you.

Your lower body gets short shrift in your routine.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16