MuayB96 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Question for you guys who do rp style for hypertrophy training.

When starting a new mesocycle, what weight do you start with? Do you start with the same weight as you ended last meso? Or do you drop a little, then work back up and past what you did?

Example:

Meso 1: 5-10 reps

W1: 100x8

W2: 105x8

W3: 110x8

W4: 115x8

W5: Deload

Meso 2: 5-10 reps

W1: 115x6

W2: 120x6

And so on.. or would it maybe be better to maybe start at week 2 or 3 weight from last meso?

Also do you need to rotate rep ranges from meso to meso? Could you do 5-10 reps on the big lifts and 10-20 on isolation for a whole block?

And if rotating rep range from meso to meso, lets say you go do 5-10 reps on bench for two mesocycles, then on the third meso you switch to 10-20 reps, you would then have to drop to lower weight to get into the 10-20 range, this would still be stimulating just as much growth as the 5-10 rep range? Even at a drop in load used from prior meso?

Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MuayB96 View Post
    When starting a new mesocycle, what weight do you start with? Do you start with the same weight as you ended last meso? Or do you drop a little, then work back up and past what you did?

Example:

Meso 1: 5-10 reps

W1: 100x8

W2: 105x8

W3: 110x8

W4: 115x8

W5: Deload

Meso 2: 5-10 reps

W1: 115x6

W2: 120x6

And so on.. or would it maybe be better to maybe start at week 2 or 3 weight from last meso?

Also do you need to rotate rep ranges from meso to meso? Could you do 5-10 reps on the big lifts and 10-20 on isolation for a whole block?

And if rotating rep range from meso to meso, lets say you go do 5-10 reps on bench for two mesocycles, then on the third meso you switch to 10-20 reps, you would then have to drop to lower weight to get into the 10-20 range, this would still be stimulating just as much growth as the 5-10 rep range? Even at a drop in load used from prior meso?
    It depends.

I've heard something like this:
    If something was RIR 2 in Mesocycle 1, aim to make it RIR 3 in Mesocycle 2.

The logic is pretty simple. You get stronger, you advance your intensity. Make sense?

As for mesocycle to mesocycle progression, it depends what you're doing. If you're going through a basic bulk, this is the rough outline of recommended rep range progression.

Meso 1:

50% 5-10 rep range

35% 10-20 rep range

15% 20-30 rep range

Meso 2:

25% 5-10 rep range

50% 10-20 rep range

25% 20-30 rep range

Meso 3:

15% 5-10 rep range

35% 10-20 rep range

50% 20-30 rep range

The idea is that as you progress through the mesocycles, your goal is to move to increasingly higher rep ranges. This helps prevent issues with fatigue as you're nearing the end of your block, but there's more to it. Something about preparing metabolites or something or another. I don't remember at this point, there is so much information.

Now to answer your questions directly.

[When starting a new mesocycle, what weight do you start with?]
    Doesn't really matter as long as you're increasing RIR week to week, and not underestimating your RIRs.

[Do you start with the same weight as you ended last meso?]
    That's one option.

[Or do you drop a little, then work back up and past what you did?]
    That's another option.

[And so on.. or would it maybe be better to maybe start at week 2 or 3 weight from last meso?]
    That's another option. No wrong answer, as long as your RIR is accurate, and you're progressing RIR week to week.

[Also do you need to rotate rep ranges from meso to meso?]
    Ideally yes, it's recommended to increase your rep ranges meso to meso. Although there may be some exercises that never leave the 5-10 rep range in any meso, and that's fine too.

[Could you do 5-10 reps on the big lifts and 10-20 on isolation for a whole block?]
    You could, sure. But I THINK the problem with that is you miss out on metabolite prepping or something or another, which is something I forgot and I'll look back into it now.

[And if rotating rep range from meso to meso, lets say you go do 5-10 reps on bench for two mesocycles, then on the third meso you switch to 10-20 reps, you would then have to drop to lower weight to get into the 10-20 range, this would still be stimulating just as much growth as the 5-10 rep range? Even at a drop in load used from prior meso?]
    Bottom line, yes to everything, probably, as long as you're actually being true to your RIR. RIR is key here. Something I'm doing to make sure I hit my RIR correctly, at the end of a meso, I'm hitting RIR 0 for a week. I'll take ANOTHER week at RIR 0, now experimenting with new exercises and rep ranges in preparation for my next mesocycle. In this way, I will be able to accurately gauge what RIR 0 actually is, and just work back from there. Hope this helps bro.

Good luck!
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

MuayB96 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    It depends.

I've heard something like this:
    If something was RIR 2 in Mesocycle 1, aim to make it RIR 3 in Mesocycle 2.

The logic is pretty simple. You get stronger, you advance your intensity. Make sense?

As for mesocycle to mesocycle progression, it depends what you're doing. If you're going through a basic bulk, this is the rough outline of recommended rep range progression.

Meso 1:

50% 5-10 rep range

35% 10-20 rep range

15% 20-30 rep range

Meso 2:

25% 5-10 rep range

50% 10-20 rep range

25% 20-30 rep range

Meso 3:

15% 5-10 rep range

35% 10-20 rep range

50% 20-30 rep range

The idea is that as you progress through the mesocycles, your goal is to move to increasingly higher rep ranges. This helps prevent issues with fatigue as you're nearing the end of your block, but there's more to it. Something about preparing metabolites or something or another. I don't remember at this point, there is so much information.

Now to answer your questions directly.

[When starting a new mesocycle, what weight do you start with?]
    Doesn't really matter as long as you're increasing RIR week to week, and not underestimating your RIRs.

[Do you start with the same weight as you ended last meso?]
    That's one option.

[Or do you drop a little, then work back up and past what you did?]
    That's another option.

[And so on.. or would it maybe be better to maybe start at week 2 or 3 weight from last meso?]
    That's another option. No wrong answer, as long as your RIR is accurate, and you're progressing RIR week to week.

[Also do you need to rotate rep ranges from meso to meso?]
    Ideally yes, it's recommended to increase your rep ranges meso to meso. Although there may be some exercises that never leave the 5-10 rep range in any meso, and that's fine too.

[Could you do 5-10 reps on the big lifts and 10-20 on isolation for a whole block?]
    You could, sure. But I THINK the problem with that is you miss out on metabolite prepping or something or another, which is something I forgot and I'll look back into it now.

[And if rotating rep range from meso to meso, lets say you go do 5-10 reps on bench for two mesocycles, then on the third meso you switch to 10-20 reps, you would then have to drop to lower weight to get into the 10-20 range, this would still be stimulating just as much growth as the 5-10 rep range? Even at a drop in load used from prior meso?]
    Bottom line, yes to everything, probably, as long as you're actually being true to your RIR. RIR is key here. Something I'm doing to make sure I hit my RIR correctly, at the end of a meso, I'm hitting RIR 0 for a week. I'll take ANOTHER week at RIR 0, now experimenting with new exercises and rep ranges in preparation for my next mesocycle. In this way, I will be able to accurately gauge what RIR 0 actually is, and just work back from there. Hope this helps bro.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for taking your time to answer all that! Really cleared up everything that i wanted to know.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Given this is hypertrophy focused.

I wouldn't be using any of the same variations for successive meso cycles.

At which point you work up to the appropriate load for the new variation based on your rpe and rep targets
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee