coop3422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Looking for a cage with a weight stack(s), lat pull down as well as 2 front pulleys.

Hey everyone,

We're getting our basement developed and it should be done in 5-6 weeks. We already have a Precor elliptical that we got last spring, but I want to start lifting again and don't plan on going back to the gym so looking for a cage.

I'm in Canada, so something sold within Canada would be ideal, but options are quite limited it seems. I don't know the exact size of the space yet, but it will be big enough as long as it isn't super wide (which rules out Bells of Steel). Height shouldn't be an issue as the ceiling should be eight and a half feet ish.

I'm looking for a cage that has at least 1 weight rack. I'm open to ones that also just have pegs to put plates on, as long as the action is smooth. I'd like a lat pull down, and I really want 2 front pulleys than can be adjusted top to bottom. Most of the options that I've found that have this, are also Smith machines, which I'd prefer not to get.

Budget can vary, if it has actual weight stacks I could justify ~$2,500 CAD. I could order from the US and have it shipped to the border and brought over, but it would have to be a really good deal to compensate for duties, tax, shipping etc. I was hoping to keep it at $4k or less, and I'll still need a bar, plates and a bench.

Thanks everyone, look forward to your suggestions.

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

heavily caffeinated grapegorilla's Avatar
    grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I hadn't found Mech6 I would have probably bought a Northern Lights model. The one Smurf points to seems to check all you boxes. Just consider if you have any desire to add attachments and also think about how you intend to store your plates. Standard j-cups won't fit that rig.

In most of the rig+functional they look like a functional trainer has been added to a rack, but this NL one looks a little like they stuck a rack onto the trainer.

You might contact these guys to see if they have anything: https://www.onetoonemanufacturing.com/ Although a quick scan of their site doesn't show a rig like you're looking for.
    ▪[]─────[]▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #80 ▪[]─────[]▪
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #13 ▪[M]====[6]▪

It seems likely that barbell training would be more efficiently performed if it had more in common with engineering than with astrology -- Rippetoe

Originally Posted by BiGx5MurF View Post
    These guys are in Canada
    I heard of them in my searching and thought I went through their site, but never saw this. It looks so close but checking over the pictures, it doesn't seem like I could add safety bars could I? My shoulder gives out at the end of my set which was why I considered a Smith initially as I usually won't have a spotter

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by coop3422 View Post
    I heard of them in my searching and thought I went through their site, but never saw this. It looks so close but checking over the pictures, it doesn't seem like I could add safety bars could I? My shoulder gives out at the end of my set which was why I considered a Smith initially as I usually won't have a spotter
    I think the chains in the pic are the safeties.

I think the chains in the pic are the safeties.
    I see it now, thanks. So stupid question, but the hooks that the chain is attached to on the back (can't tell if there's any in the front), is that also where you'd rest your bar? I'm used to seeing J cups.

Is the setup I'm asking for something that doesn't really exist? Thanks

IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50) IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50) IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50) IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50) IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50) IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50) IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50) IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50) IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50) IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50) IPW20X will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How about the Valor BD series with lat and cable crossover attachments? I have the BD-41 with lat pull down and the action is smooth on it. Haven't used the crossover attachment, but would assume similar. Can't post a link here as I haven't reached 50 posts yet!

I see it now, thanks. So stupid question, but the hooks that the chain is attached to on the back (can't tell if there's any in the front), is that also where you'd rest your bar? I'm used to seeing J cups.

Is the setup I'm asking for something that doesn't really exist? Thanks
    It's using a gun rack instead of j cups. Lots of older racks did this,, especially older commercial racks.

Originally Posted by IPW20X View Post
    How about the Valor BD series with lat and cable crossover attachments? I have the BD-41 with lat pull down and the action is smooth on it. Haven't used the crossover attachment, but would assume similar. Can't post a link here as I haven't reached 50 posts yet!
    I just checked their site, I see the BD41 with the front pulley attachments, but its way too wide. Same issue with the Bells of Steel one.

RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There are plenty of options for a lat pull down and rack combo, but I don't think you're going to find anything in your price range that has the cable crossover option. The Valor has chain spotters. Hard pass for me. If you can fit it, you might want to look into a rack and a functional trainer. Everyone seems to love the Inspire FTX at Costco. Sounds like you'd have to bring it across the border though.

The holy grail of racks for me is the Prime Prodigy Selectorized rack.
    https://primefitnessusa.com/hlp-selectorized-rack/
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #44 ||---||

grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RGrizzzz View Post
    Everyone seems to love the Inspire FTX at Costco. Sounds like you'd have to bring it across the border though.
    We have them in the Canadian Costco too.

It seems likely that barbell training would be more efficiently performed if it had more in common with engineering than with astrology -- Rippetoe

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    Have to remove link as under 50 posts
    But that's a Smith machine. That's the trouble I'm having, every rack that has the pulleys I want is a Smith. But then everyone says don't get a Smith lol.

There are plenty of options for a lat pull down and rack combo, but I don't think you're going to find anything in your price range that has the cable crossover option. The Valor has chain spotters. Hard pass for me. If you can fit it, you might want to look into a rack and a functional trainer. Everyone seems to love the Inspire FTX at Costco. Sounds like you'd have to bring it across the border though.

The holy grail of racks for me is the Prime Prodigy Selectorized rack.
    Unfortunately we're doing a lot of things in a not large basement, so I only have room for 1 piece and our elliptical.

Not being about to post links is kind of annoying lol. But, what about Maxum F-190 Functional Trainer Power Rack Home Gym? Am I missing something, or does this have everything I'm looking for?

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The only thing might be for lat pulldown, the stack would be light. But, it does have weight horns.

That might be the one. Is it available in Canada?

Many here will say it is not commercial, won't support 1000lbs, it's not 11 gauge, hole spacing too much, uprights are not 3x3, but realistically it would probably be just fine for most average lifters.

If you are newish, it would take a long time to outgrow that rack.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Greybird2; 09-02-2021 at 02:51 AM.

Not being about to post links is kind of annoying lol. But, what about Maxum F-190 Functional Trainer Power Rack Home Gym? Am I missing something, or does this have everything I'm looking for?

It'll likely be difficult if not impossible to do incline bench press on that. So if that's an exercise you like to do, you'll want a 6 post rack with a weight stack set further back.

RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It'll likely be difficult if not impossible to do incline bench press on that. So if that's an exercise you like to do, you'll want a 6 post rack with a weight stack set further back.
    I don't follow. I'd assume the dip arms come off.
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #44 ||---||

Originally Posted by grapegorilla View Post
    We have them in the Canadian Costco too.
    https://www.costco.ca/inspire-fitnes...100705200.html

I know you just one one piece. But consider these fit perfectly in a corner.

$1680CAD including delivery

I don't follow. I'd assume the dip arms come off.
    The weight stack prevents an incline bench from goin back far enough to do an incline bench press. You can do them off the front posts, but will be difficult to go heavy, or rely on safeties if doing them inside. Doing them outside, and you don't get safeties.

Looks to be plenty of room for inclines. The rear posts sit in front of the stack

Bodycraft makes a nice version of that too. A little pricey, but looks heavy duty.

Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    The only thing might be for lat pulldown, the stack would be light. But, it does have weight horns.

That might be the one. Is it available in Canada?

Many here will say it is not commercial, won't support 1000lbs, it's not 11 gauge, hole spacing too much, uprights are not 3x3, but realistically it would probably be just fine for most average lifters.

If you are newish, it would take a long time to outgrow that rack.
    Yup that's the one. It being in Canada is just a bonus. As for the $200 pound stack, it would take a long time till out outgrew that, if it happened at all.

Would finding compatible attachments be difficult, or does it use fairly standard spacing.

I know I'm not gonna get huge, I mainly want to lose weight and get some of the muscle back that I've lost. Chances are I'd never outgrow this cage, as long as it's built well.

Yup that's the one. It being in Canada is just a bonus. As for the $200 pound stack, it would take a long time till out outgrew that, if it happened at all.

Would finding compatible attachments be difficult, or does it use fairly standard spacing.

I know I'm not gonna get huge, I mainly want to lose weight and get some of the muscle back that I've lost. Chances are I'd never outgrow this cage, as long as it's built well.
    It doesn't give size of posts or holes. Attachment compatibility will likely be limited to what they offer.