kisrobyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Should I Bulk or Cut?

Hello, everyone!

I'm 17 years old who started lifting now approx. 4 months ago. Though before quarantine I had 2 months of experience but I don't count that.
    I'm 177 cm (~5' 10'') and I weigh 67 kg (147.7 lbs). My body fat percentage is 15%. I'm trying to clean bulk, so for the last month I've been eating approximately 2700 kcal with proper macro distribution and healthy foods. Though this should be enough for me to gain 0.2 kg (0.45 lbs) weight per week, my weight has remained constant but I did notice some muscle gains, so I might need to add more calories to this plan.

Today, I've read that bulking should be done on a lower body fat percentage (11-12%). So my question would be if I should cut down to a lower body fat percentage and then start bulking or can I continue the bulk now? And by bulk I always mean clean bulk.

Thank you.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yes, you have a new maintenance level. Add 200 cals and keep going. Cut it not on the table at this point.

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kisrobyyy View Post
    Hello, everyone!

I'm 17 years old who started lifting now approx. 4 months ago. Though before quarantine I had 2 months of experience but I don't count that.
    I'm 177 cm (~5' 10'') and I weigh 67 kg (147.7 lbs). My body fat percentage is 15%. I'm trying to clean bulk, so for the last month I've been eating approximately 2700 kcal with proper macro distribution and healthy foods. Though this should be enough for me to gain 0.2 kg (0.45 lbs) weight per week, my weight has remained constant but I did notice some muscle gains, so I might need to add more calories to this plan.

Today, I've read that bulking should be done on a lower body fat percentage (11-12%). So my question would be if I should cut down to a lower body fat percentage and then start bulking or can I continue the bulk now? And by bulk I always mean clean bulk.

Thank you.
    If you believe you already saw muscle gains, why not just keep doing what you're doing? That's progress right there. The scale is a good tool to use, but if you don't always have to be gaining weight. It sounds like you might be recomping now.

And you don't have to start a bulk at 11-12%. Ideal? Probably. 100% necessary? No.

I'd keep eating the amount you are if you're seeing your physique improving. Once you're no longer seeing changes, your weight isn't moving at all, and performance in the gym has nearly stalled, then add another 200 calories. That's my opinion and the approach I'd take.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the Facebook Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.facebook.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr8jYRGthLppGdQhf8mw5Mg

Thank you for the replies!

The problem is that I don't want to increase my body fat % more than it is now. It'd just get harder to cut it down later, wouldn't it?

So, today I've read about body recomposition: losing fat and building muscle at the same time. This includes eating in a slight calorie deficit (maintaince - 100-200 kcal). Considering that I'm a novice, can this be effective for me? This way I could stay relatively at the same weight and cut down my body fat to a reasonable percentage. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical on this, but I'd love to hear your opinions on this!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No

Cutting is the easy part but it's not worth doing if you don't have enough muscle to make it worthwhile.

You don't have to pile on fat if you keep your intake under reasonable control.

Recomping works better for overweight people. Your target weight is ABOVE where you are now, this does not apply to you.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    No

Cutting is the easy part but it's not worth doing if you don't have enough muscle to make it worthwhile.

You don't have to pile on fat if you keep your intake under reasonable control.

Recomping works better for overweight people. Your target weight is ABOVE where you are now, this does not apply to you.
    Ah, okay! I'll then stay at my diet and try to gain weight & muscles with minimal fat gains.

Do you have any advice how long should I go before I cut? Should I have a target weight like 70kg or a max body fat % target?

I wouldn't plan too far ahead... just keep going for at least 6 months, make big progress in the gym with increases in the weights lifted or increases in reps performed with a given weight. Then see where you are after that.