Thread: Clueless

Registered User johnnybravo1981's Avatar
    johnnybravo1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool Clueless

40 year old male here. 5'10", 155 lbs.

I started weightlifting about a year ago. I've built a decent amount of muscle, which I am satisfied with. But I also have a little body fat that I want to get rid off. My goal is to get cut.

I've been told that doing rigorous cardio at this point will eat away at my muscle gains. Would it make sense to take a break from lifting and shift to a low carb diet with mild cardio for a few weeks to eliminate the fat? I've also been told that one must eat at least 50 grams of protein a day to maintain the muscle.

Thanks!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A pic is needed. 5'10" 155lbs doesn't say much muscle to me. 50 grams of protein/day is less than half the recommended intake for someone who resistance train. That amount should be even higher if you're cutting.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd guess when you lose the fat you'll also lose a decent amount of what you thought was muscle.

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by johnnybravo1981 View Post

I started weightlifting about a year ago. I've built a decent amount of muscle, which I am satisfied with. But I also have a little body fat that I want to get rid off. My goal is to get cut.

I've been told that doing rigorous cardio at this point will eat away at my muscle gains. Would it make sense to take a break from lifting and shift to a low carb diet with mild cardio for a few weeks to eliminate the fat? I've also been told that one must eat at least 50 grams of protein a day to maintain the muscle.

Thanks!
    No, this would not make sense at all; especially if you want to preserve any muscle you've gained up to this point. Losing bodyfat is all about being in a caloric deficit; you have to take in less calories than you use during a day. That deficit should only be around 300-500 cals. This, if done every single day, week in/week out, will have you losing about 1 lb per week; which is right where you want to be.
    These aggressive "lose weight quick" ideas/plans are sure fire ways to lose muscle too.

You want to continue heavy/intense weight training while eating less, with the goal of losing no more than 1 lb per week. That's about the best way to lose fat while preserving muscle. As far as protein goes, lot's of thoughts out there but I like to get in at least 1g per bodypound per day, every day. Which is very easy for us light guys.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by johnnybravo1981 View Post

Thanks!
    Pics would help. Not sure if anyone who has "built a decent amount of muscle" needs to cut at 155 pounds at 5'10"

Also don't know anyone who has built a decent amount of muscle and only weighs 155 at 5'10"

But, no, don't do rigorous cardio or stop lifting.

First thing to check is how consistent you actually are. No changes should be made to your diet if you haven't been consistently hitting daily and weekly calorie targets.

Nothing works if you're not consistent.

If you're consistent, ask yourself which would be more of a challenge for you and cause more fatigue - reducing calories, or increasing activity level?

Do whichever one is less fatiguing/easier to stick with or do a bit of both - reduce calories a bit further and become a bit more active. Just walking is best. Low stress ,low impact, unlikely to interfere with strength training.

And don't reduce calories from protein. Ideally you'd reduce calories from a bit of both - carbs and fats. Also depends on how much of each you're currently eating.

Keep lifting, just as heavy and intense. Maybe reduce volume a bit since recovery might not be as good in a calorie deficit.

50 grams of protein is not enough. Aim for your body weight in protein - 155 grams.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the Facebook Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.facebook.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr8jYRGthLppGdQhf8mw5Mg