meg4lodon is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My parents won't let me buy weights

Hi everyone, I am 16 years old and this summer I found a job specifically to earn money for a home gym. When I finally finished my job and got paid I told my parents about my plans and they told me they are not going to let me invest in that, because "I will lose interest for that in a couple of months." First of all I am not going to use it for a short time and then just stop, second of all that is my own money. I really don't know how to convince them.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by meg4lodon View Post
    Hi everyone, I am 16 years old and this summer I found a job specifically to earn money for a home gym. When I finally finished my job and got paid I told my parents about my plans and they told me they are not going to let me invest in that, because "I will lose interest for that in a couple of months." First of all I am not going to use it for a short time and then just stop, second of all that is my own money. I really don't know how to convince them.
    Your parents should be happy you have a job and goals. It's your money just go buy the weights and prove you're serious
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Registered User Benchpresser350's Avatar
    Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ok--That just SUX!

Maybe they remember that time they got you Thomas the Tank Engine (those are expensive) and noticed that you are not playing with it anymore.

Here's some ammo for you to possibly help persuade them:

[1] With COVID gym equipment is going like hotcakes on Craigslist--if they are right and it's not for you--Tell them you WILL sell it on Craigslist to recap some of your money.

[2] (Boil the frog a little at a time--don't tell them the big picture) Tell them you only want a Barbell and a few weights... get an olympic length barbell and (2) 2.5lbs; (2) 5lbs; and (4) 10lbs (you can add to that later). Then get a powercage once they see you're keeping at it. Tell them it's for safety--some have pull down attachments.

[OR]

[3] Get your Dad to pay for (1 month) membership at a Strongman/Bodybuilder gym vs a fitness center. Bike riding distance is best. Go down alone and YOU alone talk to the membership person about only (1 month) membership...and when you get home convince your Dad to go down there to see the place (on a Saturday Afternoon--when its full of people) and you can tour him around....(Wear Masks re Covid).

If you just tell him about it, he probably won't pay for it, if you take him there and he see's others doing it he is more likely to pay. Plus he's right there to be able to pay (to get what you want you gotta be smart about this).

I say a strongman/bodybuilder gym (if one is nearby) because you can learn from the guys there, and fitness centers have a lot of treadmill people who like to roll around on balls because they think it's "Good For" their abs. But in a pinch Family fitness is better than nothing.

For a laugh you can look at Youtube: "Planet Fitness Red Tettemer O'Connell & Partners Battle Gym ad"

If your're interested that's Strongman Robert Oberst being silly. If you want to see more of him Youtube: "American Monster Productions"

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by meg4lodon View Post
    That sucks, but maybe you have lost interest in things in the past and they're worried about you wasting your money?

Why not compromise and get a limited amount to begin with - for example a barbell, a few weights and a pullup bar. Then when you're still using it in a couple of months buy a bench and a rack.

Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100) Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100) Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100) Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100) Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100) Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100) Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100) Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100) Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100) Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100) Whight7 is not very well liked. (-100)
    seek compromises without quarrels, you are family