jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Arching at the top on back hyperextensions

Just curiosity
    Any downside (medical/injury) to arch at the top when doing a back hyperextension or just useless?
    Not only on this machine but on the GHR machine too
    Like this one does here
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’d advise against THAT much arching, some is fine but it should mostly be a hinge at the hips.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would depend on what your intent is.
    Excessive arching can be a negative thing for the spine/discs.
    That being said bodybuilding wise a little extra arch adds to lumbar contraction to help build that deep valley look on the spinal erectors..
    On the other hand if your doing them for strength purposes a neutral straight back is all you really need especially if you add weight like holding a plate.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Any downside (medical/injury) to arch at the top when doing a back hyperextension or just useless?
    As Garage Rat posted, it depends on your intent.

I actually prefer rounding my back with 45 degree hypers, so the opposite of that arch. The intent when I perform 45 degree hypers is to pull using my hamstrings and glutes. I imagine it's almost like I'm performing a hip thrust into the machine, and the squeeze comes 100% from my posterior chain, not my lumbar erectors.

If I'm loading up with weight, my weight loaded will be limited if I throw in that extra backwards arch, and so my intended target of hamstrings and glutes would be minimized.

If your intent is to work your lumbar erectors, then sure, arching your back like that could have merit. Although personally, if I wanted to work my lumbar erectors, I would just perform explosive landmine rotations.

► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's fine....
    Its a longer rom for your erectors ect.
    Injurious? No.. * your body is designed to move.
    A reverse hyper would be better than this in all likelyhood

Its just a different variation to the usual hip/ass/ham Hinge focused back extension

*unless you had a preexisting condition.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.