Reply
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Registered User tokay71's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 14
    Rep Power: 0
    tokay71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tokay71 is offline

    Cant seem to gain or lose

    I just turned 50. I've worked out for years off and on, and never really have been skinny nor muscular. Never understood it. I've tried tons of cardio and gotten nowhere. I've tried no cardio and didn't get anywhere. With gyms open again, I'm back to trying to get fit. 6'1, Body fat 29%, weight 201, muscle mass 137, lean body mass 144. I track these numbers using my home scale that calculated it, which I'm sure is not super accurate, but the weight is dead on compared to the gym locker room scale. I've been seriously tracking calories, and trying to be in a deficit to lose fat and gain muscle. Got an inBody scan a few months ago and it said my BMR is 1940. Been trying to lose fat and/or gain muscle. I train at the gym every day I can I can (can't work out every day---depends on my work schedule), and push myself to failure a lot. I think I'm working hard, but I can't seem to make progress.

    I've been eating about 1700 calories a day, and training 1-2 times a day. Eating about 200g protein a day. Seems like the bulk of my calories lately come from protein. Rough macros are 50-60% protein, 30-40% fat, and the rest carb. I eat a small protein meal before morning workout (either weights or crossfit), then have 6-8 egg whites after. Lunch is a salad with protein of some variety. Late afternoon small protein meal before afternoon workout (if I do) and then dinner, which is small (chicken breast etc) and usually mostly protein. Wondering what I am missing here. Lifting hard for an hour or so, but don't see much progress in size or strength over time. I'm not looking for huge fast gains---really looking at that BF% number that fluctuates slightingly (1-2 points, which might be within margin of accuracy) but does not go down.

    What am I missing? Eat less?? I already feel like I don't eat that much. Train more? Does not seem like I should. I push to failure most exercises. More cardio? Sounds boring. Used to do a lot of cardio and didn't seem to make a difference.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User CommitmentRulz's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2017
    Location: United States
    Age: 62
    Posts: 7,535
    Rep Power: 86899
    CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    CommitmentRulz is offline
    Same answer as your posts on trying to lose weight over these years while on this forum (To lose weight you need to be in a real deficit):

    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=177309041

    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=178417811

    You're eating more than you think/admit. Don't measure - WEIGH everything that goes into your mouth. You can get a good food scale for $25 online.

    Post a picture to your bodyspace. Your use of BIA scales may be misleading you on bodyfat percentage.

    What is a typical weight workout for you - including exercise , sets. reps and weight lifted.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User tokay71's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 14
    Rep Power: 0
    tokay71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tokay71 is offline
    I've been using a food scale for a while, and weigh most things and use a barcode scanner to input exact items. I have been under the impression that if I eat too little, my body will hold onto fat, and losing slowly is the key. That's why I was going for about 200-300 less per day. Yesterday I ate 1650 calories composed of 54% protein, 30% fat, and 16% carbs.

    Yesterday I did shoulders. I did a typical routine for me.
    Bent over DB row (rear belt) 10lb/15 reps, 2 sets, then 15 lbs/10 reps 2 sets. Slowly to feel squeeze
    Front db raise 15 pounds, 12, 11, 10, 8
    45 deg leaning side db raise 15lb for ten reps, 4 sets
    Delt Press machine 45/12, 8,5 dropped weight too 35 for 8 for two sets (i was tired. Usually do this first, but shook it up a bit)
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User tokay71's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 14
    Rep Power: 0
    tokay71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tokay71 is offline
    Have been wondering if I’m taking the wrong approach. Trying to lose fat instead of gaining muscle to burn fat?

    I question my scale’s ability to calculate a few things. It’s a $50 scale that uses impedance to get numbers. It says my skeletal mass is 7 pounds. Assuming they mean weight of my skeleton, that cannot be right. I’m 6’1. Average weight of a skeleton for a male is 14% of body weight.

    (Added attachment.)
    Attached Images
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 5,300
    Rep Power: 15465
    air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    air2fakie is offline
    How much does your scale say that your liver weighs?

    Ditch the scale, use the mirror.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User tokay71's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 14
    Rep Power: 0
    tokay71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tokay71 is offline
    Really been using the scale to know if I’m
    making small gains (ok actually losses). Motivating to see the number go down, and it makes me feel like I’m on track. But also frustrates me when it suddenly goes up a few pounds. Is this “water weight”?

    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    How much does your scale say that your liver weighs?

    Ditch the scale, use the mirror.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 5,300
    Rep Power: 15465
    air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by tokay71 View Post
    Really been using the scale to know if I’m
    making small gains (ok actually losses). Motivating to see the number go down, and it makes me feel like I’m on track. But also frustrates me when it suddenly goes up a few pounds. Is this “water weight”?
    More likely the food you're eating since it looks like you've been in the same static situation the past few years. Would it be motivating if you actually saw yourself looking better in the mirror, regardless of how much your scale says your skeleton weighs today?
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User coryjefferson's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2021
    Age: 51
    Posts: 4
    Rep Power: 0
    coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coryjefferson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    coryjefferson is offline
    Originally Posted by tokay71 View Post
    I've been using a food scale for a while, and weigh most things and use a barcode scanner to input exact items. I have been under the impression that if I eat too little, my body will hold onto fat, and losing slowly is the key. That's why I was going for about 200-300 less per day. Yesterday I ate 1650 calories composed of 54% protein, 30% fat, and 16% carbs.

    Yesterday I did shoulders. I did a typical routine for me.
    Bent over DB row (rear belt) 10lb/15 reps, 2 sets, then 15 lbs/10 reps 2 sets. Slowly to feel squeeze
    Front db raise 15 pounds, 12, 11, 10, 8
    45 deg leaning side db raise 15lb for ten reps, 4 sets
    Delt Press machine 45/12, 8,5 dropped weight too 35 for 8 for two sets (i was tired. Usually do this first, but shook it up a bit)
    Is there an opportunity to chat with a coach or one of your friends? Sometimes an outside opinion is helpful.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User tokay71's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 14
    Rep Power: 0
    tokay71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tokay71 is offline
    I got a free yearly assessment from one of the gym trainers, which is how I got the InBody scan. He thought I was doing great. However, they mostly seem to be making a sales pitch for personal training. And they seem like very young guys right out of school.


    Originally Posted by coryjefferson View Post
    Is there an opportunity to chat with a coach or one of your friends? Sometimes an outside opinion is helpful.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User dmho8718's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Age: 51
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    dmho8718 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    dmho8718 is offline
    At 29% bodyfat it would be good to lean out first to a more healthy level before focusing on building muscle. Aim to get under 20% to start. If the scale and the mirror are not changing then you are simply eating too many calories or not moving enough. Simple as that, surprising as it may be.

    Your workout routine doesn't look like your utilizing very many calories to be honest. In my experience you'll never build up enough muscle to "burn the fat". Cardio will get that extra fat off of you.

    1700 calories a day is very low for someone your size, so I suspect you are eating much more than that. You are eating at maintenance calories (on a weekly average) if your body is not shrinking or growing. Don't get too caught up in what numbers your fancy scale is telling you about BMR it's just a guess at best. Eat more veggies to stay full and get that boring cardio in.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User tokay71's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 14
    Rep Power: 0
    tokay71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tokay71 is offline
    I've been debating if I should try to get leaner or build muscle. I've been much more rigorous about counting calories lately, and cut out coffee cream to drop calories. Getting used to it but hoping the decrease in size makes it worth it. I've been interested in "body recomp" but my understanding is that's awfully hard to achieve . I feel like I'm eating all protein and very few carbs and veg, trying to maintain muscle. I do feel like 1700 cal isn't very much food to eat. If I eat 1g protein per lb, that makes me eating 200g x 4 = 800 calories for protein alone. And also trying to drop it a bit lower so my deficit is 4-500 calories down from 1940, which the InBody machine told me was my BMR at 1940 cal. (That's my maintenance calories, right?) Guess I've also been confused, as the descriptions of BMR I read were that is for bodily functions to stay alive, not including the calories burned in a workout. So I was not trying to bump calories lower, which I would guess is my problem not slimming down?

    I'm trying to get in HIIT most often. Occasional LISS. Not every day.


    Originally Posted by dmho8718 View Post
    At 29% bodyfat it would be good to lean out first to a more healthy level before focusing on building muscle. Aim to get under 20% to start. If the scale and the mirror are not changing then you are simply eating too many calories or not moving enough. Simple as that, surprising as it may be.

    Your workout routine doesn't look like your utilizing very many calories to be honest. In my experience you'll never build up enough muscle to "burn the fat". Cardio will get that extra fat off of you.

    1700 calories a day is very low for someone your size, so I suspect you are eating much more than that. You are eating at maintenance calories (on a weekly average) if your body is not shrinking or growing. Don't get too caught up in what numbers your fancy scale is telling you about BMR it's just a guess at best. Eat more veggies to stay full and get that boring cardio in.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 53,267
    Rep Power: 1329701
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    At 200lbs and maybe ~30%, there is only one answer, focus on fat loss for now.

    Keep it simple, don't complicate this process, your objective is to accurately count your calorie intake and be consistent about it for long periods of time. If you are doing some kind of resistance training then that's all you need. Everything else is a distraction or majoring in the minors.

    Re read post #2
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User tokay71's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 14
    Rep Power: 0
    tokay71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tokay71 is offline
    Yes, lots of weights. Been wondering if I am trying too hard to lift heavy, and should be lifting lighter and more reps instead if fat loss is the goal? Generally I go between 5 and ten reps per set and 4 sets per exercise. If do an exercise with higher reps often drop it to three sets. I do want to put on muscle but also want to be leaner.



    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    At 200lbs and maybe ~30%, there is only one answer, focus on fat loss for now.

    Keep it simple, don't complicate this process, your objective is to accurately count your calorie intake and be consistent about it for long periods of time. If you are doing some kind of resistance training then that's all you need. Everything else is a distraction or majoring in the minors.

    Re read post #2
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 53,267
    Rep Power: 1329701
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    Originally Posted by tokay71 View Post
    Yes, lots of weights. Been wondering if I am trying too hard to lift heavy, and should be lifting lighter and more reps instead if fat loss is the goal? Generally I go between 5 and ten reps per set and 4 sets per exercise. If do an exercise with higher reps often drop it to three sets. I do want to put on muscle but also want to be leaner.
    It doesn't really matter if you are in a calorie deficit. It's easy enough to maintain muscle using any reasonable protocol. It's much harder and probably not possible for many people to actually make gains during a dedicated diet phase.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts