kisrobyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Help with my workout plan (ULPPL)

Hi, guys!

I've been lifting for a good 3-4 months now. In the past days I read about training frequency and how splits like ppl or upper/lower would be more optimal to use. To this point I've been following a similar split to the bro split, so now I'd like to change things up.
    I'd like to go to the gym 5 days a week. I read about a hybrid split: push/pull/legs/upper/lower. My first question would be, is this a good split to use?
    I found a workout for this split and changed up a little bit for my preference.

So, here it is (reps always 8-12):

PULL:
    barbell row 4 sets
    lat pulldown 4 sets
    hammer curl 4 sets
    concentration curl 4 sets
    face pull 4 sets (for rear delts)

PUSH:
    bench press 4 sets
    incline bench 4 sets
    skullcrusher 4 sets
    triceps extension with rope 4 sets
    DB front raise 3 sets
    cable lateral raise 3 sets

LEGS:
    squat 4 sets
    romanian deadlift 3 sets
    leg extension 3 sets
    leg curl 3 sets
    hip ext. 3 sets
    seated calf raise 5 sets

UPPER:
    barbell overhead press 4 sets
    bench press 3 sets
    barbell row 3 sets
    reverse lat pulldown 3 sets
    cable chest fly 3 sets
    incline curl 4 sets
    skullcrusher 4 sets

LOWER
    deadlift 4 sets
    squat 3 sets
    leg extension 3 sets
    leg curl 3 sets
    hip ext. 3 sets
    standing calf raise 5 sets

MUSCLE GROUPS - SETS/WEEK
    Chest - 14
    Back - 14
    Biceps (only isolation) - 12
    Triceps (only isolation) - 12
    Shoulders - 14
    Quads - 13
    Hamstrings - 13
    Glutes (only isolation (hip ext.)) - 6
    Calves - 10

My suspicion is that the triceps and biceps isolation might be a bit too much considering that they are used a lot in other compound exercises, isn't it?
    What do you think about the whole workout?

I'd appreciate any kind of advice or change really, this is my first time making a workout and I don't want to f it up. I'd also love to hear about workout routines that helped you and is also time tested.
    Thank you!

(I'm not a native english speaker, so please ignore the grammatical errors)
    Last edited by kisrobyyy; 07-30-2021 at 09:19 AM.

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Regarding your first Q, the specific split you use isn't that important if the overall volume, intensity, frequency, etc. is well suited to you.

That being said, this looks like a bit much for someone who's only been training for a few months. But since there's no details on you or your lifts and you've looked at other programs already and customized your own, do what you feel you'll enjoy and will work best.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Regarding your first Q, the specific split you use isn't that important if the overall volume, intensity, frequency, etc. is well suited to you.

That being said, this looks like a bit much for someone who's only been training for a few months. But since there's no details on you or your lifts and you've looked at other programs already and customized your own, do what you feel you'll enjoy and will work best.
    First of all, thank you for your response!

A couple of infos on my lifts:
    I'm a bit weak and skinny (67kg (148 pounds)), I'm trying to make progress but I'm still learning proper forms etc.

Bench - 45 kg (100 lbs), this one is the hardest for me to progress in, I'm trying to do it with proper form, I pay attention to scapula retraction & depression, breathing, legs, glutes squeeze, but I always feel this in the shoulders.
    Squat - 60 kg (132 lbs)
    Deadlift - unfortunately, this wasn't in my previous program, so I haven't tried this one yet, but in Romanian Deadlift it's 50kg (110 lbs)
    Overhead press - 30 kg (66 lbs), I've only implemented this to my previous workout in the last two weeks, so this is relatively new for me as well

I hope this gives you an idea about my status.

What I forgot to mention is that before quarantine I trained 1-2 months and sadly after that I wasn't able to go to the gym as in my country they were forbidden. So, I restarted it 1-2 months ago and this is how my experience is 3-4 months. But as you can imagine it's like I started the whole thing the first time after quarantine.

Do you have any advice, what should I change about the workout, maybe the volume should go down a little bit? I'd be thankful if you could point out where or for which muscle groups exactly.

On the other hand, is the workout exercise selection good for all muscle groups? Is it working every bit of my body?

Is this workout choice even good for me with the above stated infos?

Really, thank you for taking the time helping me!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kisrobyyy View Post
    I'm still learning proper forms etc.
    You shouldn't be doing so many different movements if that's the case. Cut down the number of exercises to 1 or 2 per movement pattern.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do you have any advice, what should I change about the workout, maybe the volume should go down a little bit? I'd be thankful if you could point out where or for which muscle groups exactly.

On the other hand, is the workout exercise selection good for all muscle groups? Is it working every bit of my body?

Is this workout choice even good for me with the above stated infos?

Really, thank you for taking the time helping me!
    Honestly I don't think you should be doing your own programming at this stage. It'd make more sense to do a proper novice program, but I understand if you want to do it your own way. So while I don't really want to make specific changes your program, in case it helps: When you're trying to progress your lifts up, sometimes less is more... & with the right compound movements, you don't need an isolation for every bit of your body.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Honestly I don't think you should be doing your own programming at this stage. It'd make more sense to do a proper novice program, but I understand if you want to do it your own way. So while I don't really want to make specific changes your program, in case it helps: When you're trying to progress your lifts up, sometimes less is more... & with the right compound movements, you don't need an isolation for every bit of your body.
    Hm, thank you for the advices! Can you recommend me a novice program? I'd like to have a look at one

coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hi, guys!

I've been lifting for a good 3-4 months now. In the past days I read about training frequency and how splits like ppl or upper/lower would be more optimal to use. To this point I've been following a similar split to the bro split, so now I'd like to change things up.
    I'd like to go to the gym 5 days a week. I read about a hybrid split: push/pull/legs/upper/lower. My first question would be, is this a good split to use?
    I found a workout for this split and changed up a little bit for my preference.

So, here it is (reps always 8-12):

PULL:
    barbell row 4 sets
    lat pulldown 4 sets
    hammer curl 4 sets
    concentration curl 4 sets
    face pull 4 sets (for rear delts)

PUSH:
    bench press 4 sets
    incline bench 4 sets
    skullcrusher 4 sets
    triceps extension with rope 4 sets
    DB front raise 3 sets
    cable lateral raise 3 sets

LEGS:
    squat 4 sets
    romanian deadlift 3 sets
    leg extension 3 sets
    leg curl 3 sets
    hip ext. 3 sets
    seated calf raise 5 sets

UPPER:
    barbell overhead press 4 sets
    bench press 3 sets
    barbell row 3 sets
    reverse lat pulldown 3 sets
    cable chest fly 3 sets
    incline curl 4 sets
    skullcrusher 4 sets

LOWER
    deadlift 4 sets
    squat 3 sets
    leg extension 3 sets
    leg curl 3 sets
    hip ext. 3 sets
    standing calf raise 5 sets

MUSCLE GROUPS - SETS/WEEK
    Chest - 14
    Back - 14
    Biceps (only isolation) - 12
    Triceps (only isolation) - 12
    Shoulders - 14
    Quads - 13
    Hamstrings - 13
    Glutes (only isolation (hip ext.)) - 6
    Calves - 10

My suspicion is that the triceps and biceps isolation might be a bit too much considering that they are used a lot in other compound exercises, isn't it?
    What do you think about the whole workout?

I'd appreciate any kind of advice or change really, this is my first time making a workout and I don't want to f it up. I'd also love to hear about workout routines that helped you and is also time tested.
    Thank you!

(I'm not a native english speaker, so please ignore the grammatical errors)
    My opinion on two things…

1- Bench press before doing overhead presses or you will have front delt fatigue, triceps fatigue and problems with handling form and weight on the bench.

2- squat before you deadlift or you will have fatigue and instability on your squats…you need to squat with a strong fresh lower back.

Other than exercise order, you already stated that you are learning form. For each push day, I suggest you master- bench, incline bench and military press. For Each pull day master a rowing movement and a pulldown movement.

For legs

Master squats and a second movement like leg press.
    Deadlift sparingly as recovery matters. Maybe 1 time a week on a Friday.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    My opinion on two things…

1- Bench press before doing overhead presses or you will have front delt fatigue, triceps fatigue and problems with handling form and weight on the bench.

2- squat before you deadlift or you will have fatigue and instability on your squats…you need to squat with a strong fresh lower back.

Other than exercise order, you already stated that you are learning form. For each push day, I suggest you master- bench, incline bench and military press. For Each pull day master a rowing movement and a pulldown movement.

For legs

Master squats and a second movement like leg press.
    Deadlift sparingly as recovery matters. Maybe 1 time a week on a Friday.
    Thank you for the advices! I quickly replaced the order as you recommended! I really appreciate it!

Hm, thank you for the advices! Can you recommend me a novice program? I'd like to have a look at one
    There are a few examples in the stickies on this Workout forum.

coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thank you for the advices! I quickly replaced the order as you recommended! I really appreciate it!

I wish I could type/spell/speak in another language. Good luck with your training and progress. Be consistent With the big basics and your nutrition. Have fun.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.