chris2312 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Increasing my resting metabolism rate

Hi,

i read it was possible to increase my resting metabolism rate by getting more lean mass. But does it give more energy to the whole body or only muscles ? So will i get increased mental energy ? increased skin metabolism etc ?

And what is the percentage of energy i can get more ?

I ask all of this because i am between normal thyroid function and subclinical hypothyroidism, which means i have really little amount of energy, so i can't treat it because i m in norm so i would like to fix it with exercice, can it play on it ?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Gaining muscle will minimally increase your resting metabolic rate (RMR); it's about 6 kcal per pound of muscle (2 kcal per pound of fat). When peoples' RMR goes up a lot higher than this with weight gain it is due to an increase in mass of the various organs (this is seen in extreme examples with people who use performance enhancing substances and they will need to eat many more calories daily as a result).

RMR is a composite of all energy utilizing processes in the body. There is no divide between "mental energy", "skin metabolism" or anything else.

Exercise will not fix subclinical hypothyroidism. You can get medication for that if you have clinical signs of hypothyroidism. If you do not then most people will not treat that with medicine, they will instead recheck your labs periodically. If you have obesity then it can be normal for labs to show signs of subclinical hypothyroidism without having any pathologic state and the treatment here is to lose excess body fat.

isand is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I dont know how the other person answered that, but after you workout your heart beat takes a lot of hours to return to normal speed, thats why we shouldnt do exercice at night so we have more trouble to sleep.
    Also having more muscle itself will increase metabolism rate, since is a living tissue it neads energy to keep alive, oposite to fat that is a kind of "dead" issue.
    So doing bodybuilding regulary you will increase your metabolism, even when you de sleeping you are burning fat to fuel you muscles.

But can physical activity at least delaying hypoglycemia, so increasing mental/physical endurance ?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by chris2312 View Post
    But can physical activity at least delaying hypoglycemia, so increasing mental/physical endurance ?
    I think you are conflating several concepts. Physical activity will eventually induce hypoglycemia in some people if they are not consuming any nutrition.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    I think you are conflating several concepts. Physical activity will eventually induce hypoglycemia in some people if they are not consuming any nutrition.
    In case of hypothyroidism, even if eating enough, energy and endurance are not that big, i am not physician at all but i think it is because people with such condition are reaching hypoglicemia faster, so can regular excercice make hypoglicemia happens latter ?

Originally Posted by chris2312 View Post
    In case of hypothyroidism, even if eating enough, energy and endurance are not that big, i am not physician at all but i think it is because people with such condition are reaching hypoglicemia faster, so can regular excercice make hypoglicemia happens latter ?
    It has nothing to do with hypoglycemia. Also if you have subclinical hypothyroidism you may not have any associated symptoms at all; many people don't. If you do have symptoms most physicians will give you medication for it.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    It has nothing to do with hypoglycemia. Also if you have subclinical hypothyroidism you may not have any associated symptoms at all; many people don't. If you do have symptoms most physicians will give you medication for it.
    What is this about if it is not about hypoglycemia ? Thyroid hormones ?

My vision is that there is a thyroid function continuum between hyper and hypo, and both normal and subclinial being at the middle. Subclinical does give symptoms, yes most don't have symptoms but those who have ones do exist. Some study are showing elevated liver hormones correlating with tsh level even for normal range, last one being a big indicator of thyroid function. Which means there is a continuous effect of thyroid function at least about liver hormones. So i happened to think tsh level directly indicate what your energy and endurance are.

I don't even know what we are discussing at this point. You know there is an association between subclinical hypothyroidism and elevated liver hormones, so you think this implies the TSH level indicates energy and endurance?

1. Correlation does not equal causation. Example, obesity can cause subclinical hypothyroidism and obesity can cause elevated liver enzymes. Doesn't mean the subclinical hypothyroidism is causing the elevated liver enzymes.

2. "Energy" doesn't really have a strict definition. Certainly any hypothyroidism can be lead to fatigue, though. In that sense TSH can indicate energy.

3. If you think you have low energy or other symptoms due to subclinical hypothyroidism you should be able to find a physician to prescribe thyroid replacement if for no other reason to see if this will help.