Bombnav is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Deep reps or just reps?

So the question is simple, are deep reps really all they're hyped to be? I'm by no means a trainer, more of an enthusiastic uninformed lifter. On occasion I critique my own form and try to bring it back. When I reigned in my curls and lat raises it helped, when i reigned in my dumbbell press it didn't. I focused on getting at least to a 90 degree bend on the dumbbell press (flat) and dropped a few reps which was to be expected. The next week i lost another rep and another the following. I went back to just doing the exercise and increased again.

Now before I get the obvious "shallower reps are easier", the first rep is off the chest full contact and I've increased maxes after returning to my old way. I did this experiment when I was working on the 135 lb dumbbells, I just got to the 150s last Saturday.

So anyone have any knowledge/experience on if deep is really the answer to building?

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Partial reps have their place for sure.

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Partial reps have their place for sure.
    Absolutely, especially at the end of a set. I guess I'm just curious if anyone has any real knowledge behind why I saw better results doing incomplete reps vs when I tried to do full range.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bombnav View Post
    Absolutely, especially at the end of a set. I guess I'm just curious if anyone has any real knowledge behind why I saw better results doing incomplete reps vs when I tried to do full range.
    Sometimes it allows you to focus on a certain muscle.

Only doing the bottom portion of a incline bench to keep tension on the chest vs the delts or triceps, for example.

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Better results how? I doubt you built a ton more muscle doing all partial reps, and don't see why these types of Qs are always all one way or all another across the board. How can someone answer your Q where no one here knows your form on your exercises, which exercises you're doing, or your program overall - and what your "better results" are.

The short answer of why you can "lift more" doing partial reps is obvious.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Better results how? I doubt you built a ton more muscle doing all partial reps, and don't see why these types of Qs are always all one way or all another across the board. How can someone answer your Q where no one here knows your form on your exercises, which exercises you're doing, or your program overall - and what your "better results" are.

So the core focus for me was flat bench for dumbbell presses. I'd do as many reps as i could the first set and 5 to 6 the second using the 135s followed by a 145 set of 4. I filmed myself and saw I was about 10 degrees or so above 90 at the bottom. I focused on nailing 90 and predictably did less reps but I lost reps week over week going deeper till I couldn't even get the 135s off my chest on the second set.

I watched some power lifters and saw them just pushing withour going deep and decided to go back to that and my reps week over week increased leading up to me hitting the 150s as a max and 140s and 145s as my norm.

So somethings growing, I'm starting in the down position and I'm pressing a lot more than the 45s I started with. (And when i say down position, I mean down. I don't know how people lay back with dumbbells keeping them off the chest.)

I personally think I'm growing due to hitting it heavy vs people looking for time under tension with deeper reps. But thats just my experience, if you'd like to expand on what you said I'd welcome the information.

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So the core focus for me was flat bench for dumbbell presses. I'd do as many reps as i could the first set and 5 to 6 the second using the 135s followed by a 145 set of 4. I filmed myself and saw I was about 10 degrees or so above 90 at the bottom. I focused on nailing 90 and predictably did less reps but I lost reps week over week going deeper till I couldn't even get the 135s off my chest on the second set.

I watched some power lifters and saw them just pushing withour going deep and decided to go back to that and my reps week over week increased leading up to me hitting the 150s as a max and 140s and 145s as my norm.

So somethings growing, I'm starting in the down position and I'm pressing a lot more than the 45s I started with. (And when i say down position, I mean down. I don't know how people lay back with dumbbells keeping them off the chest.)

I personally think I'm growing due to hitting it heavy vs people looking for time under tension with deeper reps. But thats just my experience, if you'd like to expand on what you said I'd welcome the information.
    This doesn't need to be a big mystery - you don't judge if you're growing by how much you're db pressing, you look in the mirror. If you've gone from pressing 45s to 150s, I assume you're growing too regardless of form. I do think you're overthinking some massive diff between 80 and 90 degrees though. Do whatever works for you.

Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Geeva has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Arrow

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post

*************.us/68135880568232