23end is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Doing less exercises with more sets vs. more exercises with less sets

Alot of programs I see on here will have, for example on a push day, 5x5 bench press and 3x8 incline bench press for a total of 9 sets. Personally, I've always preferred to have a wider variety in my chest days, for example I'll do 3x5 bench pres, 2x5 incline press, 2x8-12 weighted dips, 2x8-12 cable flyes. Is variety important, or is doing higher amounts of sets for basic exercises more important?

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is why I do upper lower, more variety, and no bullchit “chest” days.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 23end View Post
    Alot of programs I see on here will have, for example on a push day, 5x5 bench press and 3x8 incline bench press for a total of 9 sets. Personally, I've always preferred to have a wider variety in my chest days, for example I'll do 3x5 bench pres, 2x5 incline press, 2x8-12 weighted dips, 2x8-12 cable flyes. Is variety important, or is doing higher amounts of sets for basic exercises more important?
    Studies have shown that different movements, a variety, is beneficial for growth.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes..Variation is certainly better...

To a point.

That point been? When what you do stops working, and IT WILL STOP WORKING. FACTS.
    what tools did you hold in reserve?
    What lifts can you rotate in/out?
    What set/rep/%(or rpe) can you fall back on?

As with everything.
    Its finding a balance. And how it fits in your programming framework.

Personally? I'll train full body every time (2-7xweek life depending) and do one lift or each movement pattern

Bench or incline or press
    Squat or dead
    Row or chin

I'll hit a heavy single over 90%. Do some backoffs and move on.

Example.
    Pause squat
    Top single @9rpe
    3*3@85%

Pause bench
    Top single @9rpe
    5*5@80%

Row
    7minute Timed amrap

Vanity work
    20min for 'Isolations'
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 07-21-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You can get the best of both worlds by focusing on 2-3 movements within a block and then rotating them out. For chest, keep a flat/decline press + incline press + fly type movement within a block and then find lifts within those 3 movements to rotate. Variation is easy for chest - grip widths, bench angles, tempo (tng, paused), cables, dumbbells, machines, bodyweight. List goes on.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When trying to bring up chest I like to do bench 5x5, incline press 3x12, rest of upper body at maintenance and then on the next upper day do incline 5x5, flat 3x12, rest of upper ect. No junk volume, twice per week freq, heavy lifts. After that rotate muscle groups. My joints have been much much better lately. Block length is about 4-6 weeks.