andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Still can’t straighten lower back when deadlifting

Hi all

I posted a video of my deadlift form a while back (can’t find the thread) because I could not for the life of me get my lower back straight when deadlifting. I was told it wasn’t too bad, it might be my natural curve and as long as I didn’t get any lower back pain it would be fine.

Now I am starting to get slight lower back pain, and even when I bend over to pick something up I can feel it a little, and I don’t want it to get worse as I go up through heavier weights.

A couple of weeks ago I managed to work up to a single of 140kg on the deadlift, but my form was even worse so I decided to deadload and try with 110kg. Below is a video of my 110kg deadlift.

https://imgur.com/a/VYcMT9X

As you can see I cannot get my lower back straight. I’ve tried adjusting feet position, width, pulling my hips to the ceiling to get tight as possible, leaning back more, pushing belly between thighs and stretching my hamstrings (I’ve been stretching my hamstrings 3x a week for about a year now).

Has anyone got any advice? Thanks.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you considered switching to sumo?
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It looks like you are squatting down to the bar

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andysafc97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Have you considered switching to sumo?
    I was thinking about that. I’d like to stay conventional but if I can’t fix this issue then I’ll try sumo.

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    It looks like you are squatting down to the bar
    For some reason that feels like that’s the only position in which I can pull the weight off the floor. Like before when I’ve tried to keep my hips higher, I won’t be able to get the bar off the ground until they’re as low as they are in that video, even if it means pushing the bar forward with my shins.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In case it helps:

- You're starting off with a slightly rounded back. If you set up with your hips a bit lower/further back or put the bar on risers/pads it may work itself out. It's also possible your body dimensions make "proper" DL form difficult, but since you're having pain it's prob something you want to address or see if a diff DL variation seems more natural to you.

- If you're going to squat down to the bar I suggest you stop and pause before you lift, pull the slack out of the bar, and have a someone (or a mirror) confirm your back is neutral before you lift. That way you know what proper position is real time.

- You're not locking out fully at the top.

- You may be getting lower back pain from the descent as much as the rounded back. Move your hips back more initially going down so you don't need to drift the bar forward to miss your knees.

- Try to include knees to feet in form videos (I'm somewhat guessing what's happening below your thighs).

asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Try pulling your shoulders back and down during the setup, and before you drive the bar off the floor, take a deep breath and hold and tense your abs as if you are bracing for a punch. That should help to begin and maintain a neutral back.

Thanks everyone, will try these tips.

dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by andysafc97 View Post
    Thanks everyone, will try these tips.
    Try pointing your junk to the ground before you pull and reset each rep until you are used to it before you pull.