Revelation14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Anyone recommend a good Smith machine?

Hi,
    I'm wanting to purchase a Smith machine, I know all the pros and cons with using the Smith section of it and the injuries that can be obtained if not used properly but it's main use would be for the cables and front rack but if I can get a leg plate I would use the Smith machine for leg press, calf raises and some other exercises. With a bit of research I've seen good and bad for the Force USA G6, any comments or recommendations greatly appreciated please.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My first recommendation would be for a used commercial unit. If buying new, I would aim for something of better quality than Force USA. Check out Inspire (e.g. FT2), Hoist, Tuff Stuff, etc.

Smile

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    My first recommendation would be for a used commercial unit. If buying new, I would aim for something of better quality than Force USA. Check out Inspire (e.g. FT2), Hoist, Tuff Stuff, etc.
    Thanks Duplicitous! 👍
    I have only checked out the inspire ft2 which looks amazing but I was hoping to get something that I could use the front of as a rack for bench press... To save space but if I need to get a seperate so be it. I really appreciate your help, thank you so much!

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Revelation14 View Post
    Thanks Duplicitous!
    I have only checked out the inspire ft2 which looks amazing but I was hoping to get something that I could use the front of as a rack for bench press... To save space but if I need to get a seperate so be it. I really appreciate your help, thank you so much!
    The Hoist Mi7 serves both purposes, but if purchased new the price is pretty ridiculous. Force USA is considerably cheaper, but it's for good reason.

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    The Hoist Mi7 serves both purposes, but if purchased new the price is pretty ridiculous. Force USA is considerably cheaper, but it's for good reason.
    Like the old saying says, you only get what you pay for! Thanks for that!

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks Duplicitous!
    Most smiths are commercial pieces and generally commercial pieces serve a single function only so finding a half rack, half smith on the used market is going to be hard IMO. Ideas that come to mind are FT2 or something. Prime has been doing more multi-function units lately combining their functional trainer technology with a rack and multi-station. I'm not sure if any of them yet involves a smith.

Anyway, hope some of that is helpful but might be a harder search than you think.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you spent a considerable amount of time using a smith machine? I wouldn't invest in one until you know it's worth getting. Just being aware of pros and cons wouldn't be enough for me to move forward. There's a reason smith machines aren't popular for home use. Most people don't feel the pros outweigh the cons.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Have you spent a considerable amount of time using a smith machine? I wouldn't invest in one until you know it's worth getting. Just being aware of pros and cons wouldn't be enough for me to move forward. There's a reason smith machines aren't popular for home use. Most people don't feel the pros outweigh the cons.
    Yes, have done lots of hours on one, I love the ability to swap from cables to rack to Smith machine but I am open to suggestions?

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am going to get the Powertec smith as soon as I get a little more room after moving. I like variety.

BigTimmy23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    Most smiths are commercial pieces and generally commercial pieces serve a single function only so finding a half rack, half smith on the used market is going to be hard IMO. Ideas that come to mind are FT2 or something. Prime has been doing more multi-function units lately combining their functional trainer technology with a rack and multi-station. I'm not sure if any of them yet involves a smith.

Anyway, hope some of that is helpful but might be a harder search than you think.
    Some of those Prime units look absolutely mint, but yeah haven't seen a smith function yet on one on some of the reviews I've seen (just cable crossovers and rack portions)

In regards to the OP, I'm a big Ironmaster fan, hasn't let me down yet (got their dumbbells/kettlebells/UltimateRowhandle). Will be bringing in the IM2000 in due course to replace my current squat stand, looks to be very low maintenance, though it's not commercial grade either, but its flaws seem to be pretty minimal like the spotter arms are a bit short, but most smith racks seem to have tiny safeties anyway. Plenty of attachments available for it too is nice for flexibility.

grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    body solid series 7. you can buy it alone or with multiple admins if you want. I tried one out in a store- pretty smooth. won't break the bank.

https://www.bodysolid.com/home/gs348...es_7_smith_gym

Okay, maybe a rethink?????? Saw a great review on the Revolution Fitness HM3360, that would take care of all cable excersizes. I have lots of plates and a bench and thought if I get a rack or half rack with jammer arms may be able to do leg and calf press with that as that would be the main function of the machine. Anyone else tried this? Any ideas? Thank you everyone for your past and future input!

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Okay, maybe a rethink?????? Saw a great review on the Revolution Fitness HM3360, that would take care of all cable excersizes. I have lots of plates and a bench and thought if I get a rack or half rack with jammer arms may be able to do leg and calf press with that as that would be the main function of the machine. Anyone else tried this? Any ideas? Thank you everyone for your past and future input!
    Using jammer arms as a left press, I assume you mean to do it from a bench, with something connecting the two arms? Seems like big hassle to do a half assed exercise. You'll need to find a way to secure your bench. The resistance of the arms is going to be on an arc, while your legs will be pressing horizontally. So the movement is going to start super easy, and not get much resistance till the very end.

Or are you going to use safeties to folks the arms out horizontally, and do vertical leg presses lying on the floor?

Originally Posted by BiGx5MurF View Post
    Using jammer arms as a left press, I assume you mean to do it from a bench, with something connecting the two arms? Seems like big hassle to do a half assed exercise. You'll need to find a way to secure your bench. The resistance of the arms is going to be on an arc, while your legs will be pressing horizontally. So the movement is going to start super easy, and not get much resistance till the very end.

Or are you going to use safeties to folks the arms out horizontally, and do vertical leg presses lying on the floor?
    Was going to use the safeties and do them from the floor and use some bands for extra resistance. Totally open to some different ideas for leg press as I do them heavy and don't do heavy squats because of a prolapsed disc in my back. Thank you for your reply!

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Titan has a rack mounted leg press that sits on j hooks.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    Titan has a rack mounted leg press that sits on j hooks.
    First of all, would have repplied a lot earlier but man am I having some problems with his website! Wow, that could just be the answer, I will check it out and I cannot thank you enough!👍

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I second the IronMaster IM2000. I've been using mine for quite a while now and love it. Very smooth, considering it's not a linear bearing commercial unit. I've been getting a lot of the accessories for it and it's replaced a few pieces.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    I second the IronMaster IM2000. I've been using mine for quite a while now and love it. Very smooth, considering it's not a linear bearing commercial unit. I've been getting a lot of the accessories for it and it's replaced a few pieces.
    I will check it out online right now!