Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Deadlift hip drop?

Why is it that I see guys drop their hips a moment before a heavy pull? For me that takes the load entirely off my hamstrings and makes me want to squat. I just try to hinge back as far as I can, slightly upward, and my hips still tend to shoot up by a couple of inches before the first pull of the set. By the time I’m back down on the floor, I’m in my optimal position and don’t have to reset as long as I hinge back far enough.

Is it an anatomy thing? I don’t know my proportions really.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you have a vid example?
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    above @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    my hips still tend to shoot up by a couple of inches before the first pull of the set.
    Sounds like you're setting hips too low. The end result might be having the bar too far in front and making the pull harder.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A hip dip executed properly will load every part of your posterior chain properly. And give you almost a pseudo stretch reflex effect.. See perfectky executed in the link below, 4 meals and 4 litres of water powa bloated too

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQx8jU0B...dium=copy_link I think that was pull 12/12 emom

Just sitting your ass lower is crap form for most people. Many who see Eddie Hall sit right down then load up at the top before the bar moves try and fail to copyy... (he wears a suit and rolls the bar BTW) don't squat your hinges.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

I don't always reply to threads. Cos I don't always remember I posted in the first place😅

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Some people roll the bar too for a similar effect on heavy lifts, although that seems to be more of a rhythm/mental thing to me.

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I consistently observe this with people who have strong squats and weak deadlifts. I think it's mostly the same kind of body English as anything else in trying to find the path of least resistance by relying on existing strengths - I still sometimes struggle against the "squat morning" because I have the opposite problem.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000)
    I always straighten my legs to get a big lungful of air, then drop hips to get a bit of a stretch reflex.
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Just sitting your ass lower is crap form for most people. Many who see Eddie Hall sit right down then load up at the top before the bar moves try and fail to copyy... (he wears a suit and rolls the bar BTW) don't squat your hinges.
    yes and no.

I learned watching Eddie and others, but it's not crap form. I blew a disc back in highschool because I had no coaching and no business doing dead lifts. I'll never make that mistake again.
    You say crap form, I say an extra precaution against cat-back. Overcompensation, maybe, but better than immense lower back pain.
    In my opinion, there is something that just seems wrong about being fully extended at the legs while before hip flexors and shoulders are still returning to alignment, i.e. - still standing to a perfect upright position.
    AP7 Crew
    Rogue Home Gym Crew
    Officecel Crew
    Motorcycle Crew

“When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful.”
    ― Eric Thomas, The Secret to Success

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The very first part of the DL is leg drive pushing your feet through the floor.
    It gets the bar moving but quickly shifts to the hips and posterior chain.
    Squatting down is just a starting technique that some may use just as rolling the bar to you and pulling isa technique some use.
    It doesn't mean its right or wrong its just what works for some people.
    If you drive more from your heels the hamstrings and glutes will kick in more.
    Good leg drive helps get the bar moving from a dead position,up to about knee level or slightly below you need to shift and think of driving the hips forward as the bar is pulled up still thinking of of pushing the feet through the floor.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PTzFree View Post
    yes and no.

I learned watching Eddie and others, but it's not crap form. I blew a disc back in highschool because I had no coaching and no business doing dead lifts. I'll never make that mistake again.
    You say crap form, I say an extra precaution against cat-back. Overcompensation, maybe, but better than immense lower back pain.
    In my opinion, there is something that just seems wrong about being fully extended at the legs while before hip flexors and shoulders are still returning to alignment, i.e. - still standing to a perfect upright position.
    Flexion isn't dangerous on its own.
    Bad workload management is the big factor.

But I did say many try to copy what he does and fail to execute.. And THAT is the 'bad' form as it loosens the pc and loads just the quads and lumbar.
    And this is very much true.

It causes more problems than it solves for the majority of people who copy badly. - not saying this is you.

I certainly didn't say Eddie or people who pull like him have bad form.
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 07-01-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

I don't always reply to threads. Cos I don't always remember I posted in the first place😅

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have no problem initiating the pull with my heels without setting my hips low personally, and I feel like I lose the stretch in my posterior chain when I try. It’s just not optimal for me, unless I’m missing something.

@TolerantLactose I’m not maxing out or anything crazy (5-6 rep range RPE 8-8.5) so my pulls are never particularly difficult, first rep is usually harder but only barely. But my first rep starting position is never optimal, somehow... I tend to set myself ever so slightly too far forward, hips ever so slightly too low, but it doesn’t look/feel like it’s causing me any problems.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have no problem initiating the pull with my heels without setting my hips low personally, and I feel like I lose the stretch in my posterior chain when I try. It’s just not optimal for me, unless I’m missing something.

@TolerantLactose I’m not maxing out or anything crazy (5-6 rep range RPE 8-8.5) so my pulls are never particularly difficult, first rep is usually harder but only barely. But my first rep starting position is never optimal, somehow... I tend to set myself ever so slightly too far forward, hips ever so slightly too low, but it doesn’t look/feel like it’s causing me any problems.
    Eh….

This is why deadlifts aren’t optimal for muscle building. Moving maximal loads in a low rep range, sure, but when you start doing reps form tends to suffer and that will negatively effect setup and the subsequent pull.

I generally prefer high handle trap bar deadlifts, Dorian deadlifts or block pulls/rack pulls if I want to target the upper/mid back. Oh, and all manner of rows, of course.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You don't have to drop your hips, do whatever works best for you.

No one DLs perfectly every rep so don't worry about it if you're not having any issues and can move the weight you want to move.

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Eh….

This is why deadlifts aren’t optimal for muscle building.
    Oh, fighting words...

They worked pretty well for me. Seriously, my rate of gain skyrocketed once I started deadlifting heavy, even if for lower reps. Possibly GOAT mass builder. Can only speak for myself, though.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Eh….

This is why deadlifts aren’t optimal for muscle building. Moving maximal loads in a low rep range, sure, but when you start doing reps form tends to suffer and that will negatively effect setup and the subsequent pull.

I generally prefer high handle trap bar deadlifts, Dorian deadlifts or block pulls/rack pulls if I want to target the upper/mid back. Oh, and all manner of rows, of course.
    I wanted to get back into trap bar deads but my gym’s trap bar is kind of crap and likes to tilt forward for some reason. CAP Barbell’s fault.

But I love conventionals with all my heart - getting my form down is a revenge mission against a horrific pull from 5 years ago that I still feel from time to time today.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wanted to get back into trap bar deads but my gym’s trap bar is kind of crap and likes to tilt forward for some reason. CAP Barbell’s fault.

But I love conventionals with all my heart - getting my form down is a revenge mission against a horrific pull from 5 years ago that I still feel from time to time today.
    CAP is basic b*tch level stuff, so no wonder the one in your gym has that issue. Titan makes a good one, and it is even rackable.

My gym has one, not sure of the brand though, not rackable but it is solid. Grips are a little thicker than a barbell.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 07-01-2021 at 09:12 PM.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

CAP is basic b*tch level stuff, so no wonder the one in your gym has that issue. Titan makes a good one, and it is even rackable.

My gym has one, not sure of the brand though, not rackable but it is solid. Grips are a little thicker than a barbell.
    I thought for a second you said capps (as in buddy capps) was bitch kit.. Lul

Man was I confused for a second. . The texas power is a great, top tier lifer bar. On my list with the opb-k or rhino. (can't justify an eleiko lol)

No experience with CAP here on the UK AFAIK. Unless its rebranded stuff
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

Will406 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You set yourself up perfectly to deadlift when you do this:

From a standing position, keep the back straight and hinge until the wrists are adjacent to the knees. From there, squat down until your hands are holding the bar.

Use the same form as you go up and down for each rep. The deadlift is in part a hinging motion and in part a squatting motion.

JonGomez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why is it that I see guys drop their hips a moment before a heavy pull? For me that takes the load entirely off my hamstrings and makes me want to squat. I just try to hinge back as far as I can, slightly upward, and my hips still tend to shoot up by a couple of inches before the first pull of the set. By the time I’m back down on the floor, I’m in my optimal position and don’t have to reset as long as I hinge back far enough.

Is it an anatomy thing? I don’t know my proportions really.
    Driving from the hip will stimulate more posterior chain, afterall the deadlift is a hip/hinge movement