BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Review: Pepin Dumbbell handles

Review: Pepin Dumbbell adjustable pro-style dumbbell handles

https://www.dumbbellpepin.com/

I'm reviewing the Pepin Dumbbell adjustable pro-style dumbbell handles. I've had them for a couple months now and I'm ready to give my thoughts and opinions.

For those that don't know, these are the flat/flush end adjustable handles that are able to go from 5lbs to 120lbs with a very simple adjustment.

I was in a position where I had the generic cheap spin-lock dumbbell handles (which I hate) for my heavier lifts, a couple of single plate pro-style handles, and a few random hex dumbbells. But I couldn't find enough dumbbells locally to make a useable set. I had a lot of 1" weight plates sitting around and I wanted a complete set of pro-style dumbbells, but I couldn't find the handles, so I bought these. And they are absolutely worth every penny to me. The only downside to these was that it took 2 months to the day for them to ship after ordering them. And then another 10 days to arrive by UPS. But once they got here, they've been amazing.

Build quality:
    These things are thick and heavy. I haven't weighed them in a calibrated scale, but each handle is a solid 5lbs, meaning that unloaded they're 5lbs each, loaded with a pair of 2.5lbs plates makes them 10lbs, and when you load them with 120lbs, they're actually 125lbs. Pepin also makes true fat grip 50mm handles, but I got the regular sized handles. The standard handles are 34.6mm thick, per Pepin Dumbbell themselves, which makes them about 20% thicker than a standard competition barbell, and even a couple millimeters thicker than even generic 32mm barbells.

Daily use:
    These things are incredibly easy to use. I made a video where I held the camera in one hand, and changed the weights on both ends of both my dumbbells with the other hand. They're that easy to use. In a matter of about 30 seconds I was able to put 5lbs on one handle, and 120lbs on the other handle. I regularly do a full weight swap for both handles in just a few seconds.

I use them for curls, tricep extensions, rows, and bench presses. Just like with pro-style handles, these really shine during curls and bench presses, when you can bring them flush against your side, and/or set them on your legs to get into position. The ends are completely flat and are very comfortable.

So far they have never come loose through use. I don't ever drop them from any real height, so I can't say if that would make the adjustment screw loosen or not. I have loaded a handle with 120lbs for heavy rows, and dropped them from a couple inches off the ground, and it didn't loosen.

Fit/finish:
    The handles and the adjustable locks are chromed, and are beautiful. My only complaint was that one of my adjustable spin locks had some slight pitting in a couple spots of the chrome plating, on the outside of the lock. It isn't worth sending back to me. If it causes the chrome to flake I'll contact Pepin and see if they'll replace it, but so far it's just an annoyance that isn't visible at more than a couple feet away.

Knurl:
    Knurl is very subjective and everyone enjoys a different type of knurl. For me, this was the worst part of these handles. The knurl is very sharp. These handles are already thicker than most dumbbell handles, so it makes the knurl even sharper, since you're already basically gripping a fat grip. It is far sharper than my barbell that I use for the Olympic lifts, and is as sharp as some of the Eleiko meat grinders from the 80s that I've used before. It took some getting used to. My hands would be torn up from volume snatches and cleans, and these handles would shred my hands. I've adapted to them now, but at first they took a lot of getting used to. If I wasn't doing so many lifts that already tore up my hands, it wouldn't be an issue. But if you've already got issues with callous maintenance and do a lot of grip work, these will make things difficult. I only have 1 set, so maybe they aren't all the same, I don't know. Maybe like most barbells, some are a lot softer and maybe I just got unlucky.

I rate these a 10/10 as far as being not only quality equipment, but their overall value. For the first time in years I have no plans, or need to buy any other dumbbells or dumbbell accessories.
    I'm a weightlifter, just starting to add some bodybuilding into my training. I'm mostly here for the equipment forum.

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Has anyone ever tried taking a metal file to sharp knurling?
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigAlexG is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Squeebo View Post
    You could do that. It would take the tops off each piece of knurl. But it would also strip and destroy the chrome plating. It's not a good idea.
    I'm a weightlifter, just starting to add some bodybuilding into my training. I'm mostly here for the equipment forum.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for the review. These sound pretty sweet. Another downside to filing sharp knurling would be I doubt you could get it consistent. I'm a fan of sharp knurling, so if I ever considering going back to adjustable dumbbells, Pepin sounds like it's worth a look.

cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Squeebo View Post
    I wonder if a machine shop could just roll the peaks down using existing equipment
    {5'7" and under #1}
    ▪█───█▪ Equipment Crew #77 ▪█───█▪
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew - Can't recall number [M]===[6]

wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10) wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10) wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10) wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10) wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10) wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10) wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10) wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10) wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10) wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10) wintertales is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool

I also have my Pépin for a couple of months now from their first month's of operations.

I can also testify that this is the ultimate dumbbells for me... On my side I love the knurling... my hands are definitely on the harder side now!

I also bought the CNC plastic washer and it helps a lot tightening the plates...

The only things is that it is fast to change plate, but sometimes it can take some time... Especially if you need to upgrade between sets...

I DIY some 2.5lbs magnetic weight to help with that...

I'm about to get the fat handle too!

I love to train with fat handles... And the normal handle is definitely fatter than any other handles I've used, my fat grip can't go on these!

Having two sets of handles will help having two sets of dumbbells around. I'm a bit in hurry when I train so the faster I can finish, the better...

Got 2x jobs and 2x kids...

I know I could get powerblock, but it's not to my taste even if it's a pragmatic gym equipment.
    Last edited by wintertales; 07-30-2021 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Autocorrect...

I've had these for a year now, and they're still one of the best investments I've made. I use them every training day, and they're amazing. I love not having to worry about trying to track down dumbells to fill in the gaps in weights, and I like not having to have a huge dumbbell rack. I can swap the dumbbells from my son's weights to mine in seconds.

Hopefully this helps someone looking into pro-style dumbbells.

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is coming from an owner of both the Ironmasters and Powerblocks, but I could see the appeal of the Pepin DBs due to their classic pro style look and flat ends that lock in tight (minus the time setting them up) but that wouldn't be much of a concern if using them for heavier working sets and having say Powerblocks for the lighter movements.

If I didn't already have the heavier bases covered for a while and knew about these new offerings to the equipment game, I might've went with the new model Pepins (appear to have a much better finish compared to the Baadass DBs despite their insane 225 lb per DB set and indestructibility claims).