jimjoe26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Advice on Growing Back

Hi all,

Looking for any advice on growing my back in both width and volume. I am a shorter framed guy but I can get my chest to grow a little bigger, but back seems to be an issue in the end. I am not sure how much genetics play into this. I am 40 years old. Below is my workout. This specific upper/lower I have only been doing for about 6 weeks but I want to see if I am headed in right direction. I haven’t listed my lower exercises, just the deadlift variation I use on those days. Thanks for any advice

I’m 5”6 152 pounds

Upper Lower

Mon- UPPER
    (heavy weight)
    Bench- 5 sets- 6 reps
    Overhead Press- 5 sets- 6 reps
    Weighted Dip- 3 sets- 8 reps
    Weighted Pull up- 5 sets- 4 reps
    Barbell Shrug- 4 sets- 10 reps
    (lighter)
    Wide Row- 3 sets- 12 reps
    Lat Pulldown 3 sets- 12 reps
    Reverse fly- 3 sets – 12 reps
    Tricep/Bicep isolation- 4 sets- 8 reps

Tues – Lower
    Romanian Deadlift – (heavier) 5 sets- 5 reps

Thurs- UPPER
    (heavy wieght)
    T Bar row- 5 sets- 6 reps
    Weighted chin up- 5 sets- 5 reps
    Upright Row- 4 sets- 8 reps
    Lat Pull down- lat bar- 5 sets- 6 reps
    Rope face pull- 4 sets- 8 reps
    (lighter)
    Bench Press- 3 sets 10 reps
    Incline Press- 3 sets 8 reps
    Tricep/Bicep Isolation 4 sets- 8 reps

Fri- Lower
    Romanian DL- (lighter) 4 sets- 10 reps

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I see exercises, sets and reps. Where is the progression?

Sorry I try to increase weight by 2.5-5 pounds each week or every other week

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jimjoe26 View Post
    Sorry I try to increase weight by 2.5-5 pounds each week or every other week
    Fair enough. I try to increase my reps instead of weight. When I've reached my target reps, I go back to the lower rep range and increase weight. There's more than one way to lift and skin a cat.

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Genetics plays a role in that some people have developed backs naturally or will blow up with relatively little work, but with time you can def improve what you have.

If your back is stubborn with growing, try focusing more on row variations and less on vertical pulls. Use close grip rows with cable, landmine or dbs for lats and see if that works better than pullups/chinups/pulldowns. Regardless, see what you seem to respond to best.

Thanks !!! Yea pull ups are really tough. Weighted pull ups that is. I can’t break past 4-5 and increase in weight has been slow. I will try some of these other options maybe !

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Genetics plays a role in that some people have developed backs naturally or will blow up with relatively little work, but with time you can def improve what you have.

If your back is stubborn with growing, try focusing more on row variations and less on vertical pulls. Use close grip rows with cable, landmine or dbs for lats and see if that works better than pullups/chinups/pulldowns. Regardless, see what you seem to respond to best.

zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuijo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi all,

Looking for any advice on growing my back in both width and volume. I am a shorter framed guy but I can get my chest to grow a little bigger, but back seems to be an issue in the end. I am not sure how much genetics play into this. I am 40 years old. Below is my workout. This specific upper/lower I have only been doing for about 6 weeks but I want to see if I am headed in right direction. I haven’t listed my lower exercises, just the deadlift variation I use on those days. Thanks for any advice

I’m 5”6 152 pounds

Upper Lower

Mon- UPPER
    (heavy weight)
    Bench- 5 sets- 6 reps
    Overhead Press- 5 sets- 6 reps
    Weighted Dip- 3 sets- 8 reps
    Weighted Pull up- 5 sets- 4 reps
    Barbell Shrug- 4 sets- 10 reps
    (lighter)
    Wide Row- 3 sets- 12 reps
    Lat Pulldown 3 sets- 12 reps
    Reverse fly- 3 sets – 12 reps
    Tricep/Bicep isolation- 4 sets- 8 reps

Tues – Lower
    Romanian Deadlift – (heavier) 5 sets- 5 reps

Thurs- UPPER
    (heavy wieght)
    T Bar row- 5 sets- 6 reps
    Weighted chin up- 5 sets- 5 reps
    Upright Row- 4 sets- 8 reps
    Lat Pull down- lat bar- 5 sets- 6 reps
    Rope face pull- 4 sets- 8 reps
    (lighter)
    Bench Press- 3 sets 10 reps
    Incline Press- 3 sets 8 reps
    Tricep/Bicep Isolation 4 sets- 8 reps

Fri- Lower
    Romanian DL- (lighter) 4 sets- 10 reps
    nice routine

Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Monty52269 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Add Single Arm Dumbbell Row if you can, it helps in muscle mass development in back.

jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Monty52269 View Post
    Add Single Arm Dumbbell Row if you can, it helps in muscle mass development in back.
    Yeah, he only has 35 and 33 sets on his upper days.
    Does he really need one extra exercise?
    "Reminds me of the good ol' days back in 03-04 when ripptoes/5 by 5/hit/doggcrap reigned supreme and you did not need direct arm work for big biceps. Rows and chins were it. "Ever see a guy rowing 300+lbs with chicken arms?". Ah yes those were the days. God bless amusclehead and his twisted one dimensional views along with the rest of the former flock."

HaHa I could rotate in the single arm dumbbell row I do love that exercise

Anyone have feedback on rest times between sets ? I was doing 1:30 after each 5 reps, but I wondered for heavier weight if that’s too short , especially weighted pull ups and such. Is 3 min rest too long?

Anyone have feedback on rest times between sets ?
    When the pandemic quarantine started last year, I reloaded a box of 25 shotgun shells between sets. I'm using a MEC 650N progressive reloader (Every pull of the handle does 5 operations to 5 shells). I get a shell with every pull of the handle. It takes about 3 minutes to load a box of shells.

So my answer is 3 minutes.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    When the pandemic quarantine started last year, I reloaded a box of 25 shotgun shells between sets. I'm using a MEC 650N progressive reloader (Every pull of the handle does 5 operations to 5 shells). I get a shell with every pull of the handle. It takes about 3 minutes to load a box of shells.

Reloading your own ammo is fun. I used to reload hot .38s with my friend in his basement for his Winchester rifle his grandfather bought new in the 60s. He left it to him in his will, and it one beautiful rifle.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post

Reloading your own ammo is fun. I used to reload hot .38s with my friend in his basement for his Winchester rifle his grandfather bought new in the 60s. He left it to him in his will, and it is one beautiful rifle.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 06-23-2021 at 01:03 PM.