Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Adjustable bench issues

So I’ve been having this issue with my bench at home that I didn’t realize may be an equipment-specific issue until I tried a commercial bench yesterday... I can’t help but over-arch my back while incline pressing on my bench at home (low weight or heavy, doesn’t matter), but I couldn’t even get myself into an excessively arched position on the commercial bench. I can’t figure out exactly why, but the commercial bench has a massive gap between the seat and the back pad and I wonder if this has something to do with it. At a similarly inclined position as the back pad, the seat is low enough that I can get a good grip on the floor with my feet.

My bench has no gap and is incredibly short (which for me at 5’2” is fine in theory) and sort of flimsy despite seller’s claims that it can support up to 800 lbs. And with the seat at a similar incline as the back pad, my feet only graze the floor.

Both inclines are set at 30 degrees.

Any ideas what kind of mechanism is at play here? Any suggestions for a good, sturdy adjustable bench under $200 or so?

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For $200, you're probably looking at used as being your best bet. Otherwise, Amazon and it probably won't be much better than you have now. I'd stretch your budget a bit and at least get whatever Rep Fitness bench you can afford. If you can spend $400, the IronMaster Super Bench Pro is a favorite around here. I love mine.

https://www.ironmaster.com/products/super-bench-pro/

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    FB Marketplace. Your dollar will go a lot further.

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I like the look of the Ironmaster but it’s not within my budget unfortunately. I’m keeping an eye out on FB marketplace but nothing’s popped up yet, at least not anything within the city or anything that anyone will deliver.

I think I found the issue, though... the seat on my bench is too damn big. I have to awkwardly straddle it which somehow forces me to arch; if I put my feet under the roller pads instead of to my sides, I’m able to keep flat more easily, but obviously leg drive becomes nonexistent. Every bench on Amazon is designed with similar dimensions with the exception of a few that don’t let you adjust the angle of the seat.

RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Try setting the back incline higher to 45 and the seat incline lower to 15. I have a Rep AB5000, and I can't reach the floor, if I incline the back and seat to 45. I raise the seat less, and I'm all good. I'm 6'2".
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #44 ||---||

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are looking for an ultra cheap bench with a relatively narrow seat pad, then I'd take a look at the REP AB-3100. Previously I tested out the V1 of this bench and it was CRAZY solid for the price, for around $200 I don't think there is a Flat/Incline bench on the market that can compete.

https://www.repfitness.com/benches/a...-3100-fi-bench
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Originally Posted by RGrizzzz View Post
    Try setting the back incline higher to 45 and the seat incline lower to 15. I have a Rep AB5000, and I can't reach the floor, if I incline the back and seat to 45. I raise the seat less, and I'm all good. I'm 6'2".
    45 is pretty steep though, my delts threaten to get greedy at 30 if I’m not careful. I’ve angled the seat up pretty high and placed cinder blocks under my feet and have the same problem, so I don’t think it’s height off the floor that’s the issue.

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    If you are looking for an ultra cheap bench with a relatively narrow seat pad, then I'd take a look at the REP AB-3100. Previously I tested out the V1 of this bench and it was CRAZY solid for the price, for around $200 I don't think there is a Flat/Incline bench on the market that can compete.

https://www.repfitness.com/benches/a...-3100-fi-bench
    Thanks man this does look solid, do you have the dimensions of the seat in inches?

heavily caffeinated grapegorilla's Avatar
    grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My first guess would be bench height impacting leg drive which relates to arch. Do you have the height of your home bench and the commercial?
    ▪[]─────[]▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #80 ▪[]─────[]▪
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #13 ▪[M]====[6]▪

It seems likely that barbell training would be more efficiently performed if it had more in common with engineering than with astrology -- Rippetoe

RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RGrizzzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    Thanks man this does look solid, do you have the dimensions of the seat in inches?
    REP AB-3100 DIMS
    Total Height: 17"
    Total Pad Length: 49.5"
    Back Pad Width: 11.75"
    Pad Gap: 1.75"
    Total Footprint: 8 SQFT
    3% Tolerance
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #44 ||---||

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    Sorry man, I'm an equipment lunatic and that was several benches back for me. But I remember unboxing their first version of the AB-3100 which was under $200 shipped at that time, and I was blown away by the quality of the frame for the price.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪