GruntKC is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Mixing rep ranges in same workout - Counterproductive to hypertrophy?

I remember watching a video from some guy called "Jason Blaha" (who I know has become somewhat of a joke in the bodybuilding community). He basically says that mixing rep ranges in the same workout and not sticking to ONE specific rep range is counter productive to hypertrophy because your body ends up not knowing what to improve due to using multiple rep ranges.

Now I'm taking what this guy says with a grain of salt, believe me, but it's hard to just jump on the bandwagon with everyone else who dislikes this guy just for the sake of it, when what he's saying "sounds" to be correct, so I figured I'd get some opinions. What are your thoughts on what he says about mixing rep ranges during the same training session?

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's BS and doesn't even "sound" correct. Based on this and your other post, you should just get on any proper novice program and work out - instead of going down the overthinking path of "is what I'm doing going to get me max gains?", "are all these people who do this program doing it wrong?", etc.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yeah I don't agree with that.

My view is that you do have to walk a line between too much and too little variation...

Variation can be switching exercises, rep ranges, exertion levels, weight used, number of sets, tempo etc. - lots of possibilities

Variation has to be set against directed adaptation which is the process of getting better at something.

So my view is that without variation, you will stagnate - come to a point where you are doing the same exercise with the same weight and achieving the same reps as before.

But too much variation means that too much of your time is spent adapting motor pathways to the unfamiliar without actually causing an overloading stimulus.

Novices tend to need less variation and more directed adaptation because poor motor pathways is more of an obstacle to progress whereas more advanced lifters need more variation because stagnation happens much faster.

coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Silly.

% of max matters…time under tension matters….metabolic stress matters….

None of it makes you smaller.

Lift hard, eat well, rest and sleep and grow.

“Hypertrophy” comes from repair of damage muscle tissue and metabolic stress. A good workout does BOTH.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There was data floating around about on that.the Context was optimal hypertrophy and it wasnt statistically significant as i recall
    Even mike isreatel kinda backed it for a while.

Bare in mind blaha changed his mind on that too. Years ago.

Worry less about it. Even if it was true. It would be 1-2% tops if the data had panned out.
    And I'll wager no one is that dialed in anyway.

Do the work.. Major in the majors.

My Programming consists of.
    Singles above 90%/@8
    Heavy sets in the high 80%s
    Vomume sets in the 60--80%s
    'speed' type sets in the 50-65% range
    High rep isolation pump work as low as 40%

Frequently all in the same session.

Bench
    X1@8 /3@9 /70%x5(x6)
    Cgbp 6@6/7/8 repeat top set until @9
    Tricep extentions 5x10-15
    Band press downs 300 reps total
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 06-16-2021 at 10:27 AM.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nothing wrong with a variety of rep ranges. Volume is one of the most important factors for hypertrophy, and the rep range where muscle can be built is much larger than most think, about 5-30 reps.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the Facebook Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.facebook.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr8jYRGthLppGdQhf8mw5Mg