KristianEE is on a distinguished road. (+10)

That lower back and upper glute fat

Really frustrated user here. I have been cutting for the summer the last 4 months. I have taken it really slow losing about 1-2 kg per month with 94 kg as starting point.
    I am getting quite lean everywhere except lower abs and especially lower back/upper glutes. Veins are appearing on my upper abs.
    My circumference just above glutes and mid between naval and groin is 91 cm.
    Why is nothing happening on my lower back? Is it only genetics?
    I am afraid of staying too long in a deficit, but I was hoping to shed this part as well before bulking.
    I am doing 30 min steady state cardio 6 times week and heavy resistance training 5 to 6 times per week following push pull legs. Otherwise sedentary. Eating between 1800 and 2000 cals with 40-50 protein.
    Relatively muscular. serious weightlifting in the past but had a few years with only cardio before starting again in September 2020.

What am I doing wrong Impatience Not happy with my lower waist! Please, any advice? Nutrition wise or words of wisdom?

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hey dude. I saw in another post you are 6' 2". If you've lost 2 kg a month for 4 months, that still puts you at about 190 pounds?

I know you say
    Relatively muscular. serious weightlifting in the past but had a few years with only cardio before starting again in September 2020.
    You MAY still be carrying a good bit a fat and some guys are just genetically wired to store fat in back, love handles, and butt.

Post a few pictures in your bodyspace profile.

Also, why so low on protein intake?

kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kingofabs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by KristianEE View Post
    Really frustrated user here. I have been cutting for the summer the last 4 months. I have taken it really slow losing about 1-2 kg per month with 94 kg as starting point.
    I am getting quite lean everywhere except lower abs and especially lower back/upper glutes. Veins are appearing on my upper abs.
    I am afraid of staying too long in a deficit, but I was hoping to shed this part as well before bulking.
    I am doing 30 min steady state cardio 6 times week and heavy resistance training 5 to 6 times per week following push pull legs. Otherwise sedentary. Eating between 1800 and 2000 cals with 40-50 protein.

What am I doing wrong Impatience Not happy with my lower waist! Please, any advice? Nutrition wise or words of wisdom?
    Don't lose hope buddy. Just clearly define all the reasons you want to lose weight and write them down. This will help you stay committed and motivated to reach your weight loss goals.

Sorry for the confusion- protein should be percentage. 40-50% protein.

I have calculated tree to ~2400 (assuming only sedentary despite working out almost every day).
    I also realize that I am most likely eating a bit more than I track, but not more than 100-200 cals. I know - more dedication required to make sure that I progress. However, I am already conservative with respect to tdee.

I have uploaded pictures. You are correct on weight (190 lbs 6 ft 1 in).
    Also uploaded picture on my challenging area.

I acknowledge that this is the most stubborn area and it requires dedication. I am still comfortable at this level in my diet having energy. However I do see a lot of people that are much slimmer and have significantly less fat around the lower back and lower abs despite not cutting to the extreme.
    The fat on lower abs are very lose. It is not skin as many may suggest. I have never been larger than what I was 8 kg ago.

I guess I have drawn the shortest straw when it comes to genetics in the area, but I don’t want to settle on that as the answer. That’s why I am keen on hearing from others. Opinion, words of wisdom, etc.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No, protein dosing is based on target body mass.

1.6g of protein per kg is the maximum shown to make improvements but you can still go higher if that's your preference.

Percentages are not useful for calculating macros. 50% of your calories would usually be way more than you need.

I'm afraid if you started at over 90kg, it will be a while before you are lean. You are not going to be shredded this summer. Target next year - because you will need muscle gain phases too (even for modest goals).

I am trying to stick to 200g of protein per day. I am happy with this level. However, I am a bit confused around carbs vs fat. Some say it does not matter, others say stick to your preference.

So what you are suggesting is to e.g cut a few more weeks before starting to bulk for a while? What would a good strategy be? Do several shorter cycles or few but long?
    I am just afraid that if I start bulking, I will gain back the fat I have lost (in addition to muscle mass). I then have to spend another 4-5 months just ending up where I am now in terms of fat% but with more muscle. Or am I getting this wrong?

If I do a lean bulk, and then start a cut again I should have a lower fat% as starting point for the next cut if I do things correctly?

I'm afraid if you started at over 90kg, it will be a while before you are lean. You are not going to be shredded this summer. Target next year - because you will need muscle gain phases too (even for modest goals).[/QUOTE]

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Carbs vs. fat is preference - experimenting is the only way to find out. As long as you stick to a calorie target, it's not going make any difference except maybe to how you feel during training.

I would sustain a calorie deficit for at least a month at a time. And muscle gain phases for maybe twice that. You can in theory switch more often but there is an 'overhead' - a few days switchover time where your muscle glycogen levels adjust.

You shouldn't gain back fat during mass gain. Remember you only need a small surplus - enough to keep gym progress moving. You may even get away with maintenance.

Don't mistake a little extra water retention for gaining back fat. If you switch to maintenance you can expect your weight to jump back up a couple of lbs.

Appreciate the time!

But if you look at my pictures and consider my stats, any words for advice other than what you have already given?

Or if anyone else is eager to join the discussion.

OK, I hadn't realised you are further down the road than most people who post here - but the advice is broadly the same - probably more emphasis on muscle gain.

pumpkineskobar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpkineskobar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpkineskobar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpkineskobar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpkineskobar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpkineskobar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpkineskobar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpkineskobar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpkineskobar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KristianEE View Post

I think you could focus on putting on muscle now, I think from 94kg this is really good progress. Re: nutrition don't forget 0.4gm per lb of lean body weight minimum of fats to ensure your hormones stay balanced. Great work!

Originally Posted by pumpkineskobar View Post
    I think you could focus on putting on muscle now, I think from 94kg this is really good progress. Re: nutrition don't forget 0.4gm per lb of lean body weight minimum of fats to ensure your hormones stay balanced. Great work!

Appreciate the feedback and advice!