1lostyankee is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Occasional shoulder pain - need advice

50 yr old female....since I've started doing an upper body routine with weights 3x a week (40 minutes), I have occasional pain in the front of my right shoulder. It's not sharp or bad pain, and it's not all the time, and sometimes it's gone completely. I've had a rotator cuff tear before and it doesn't feel like that at all. It could possibly be the labrum area but hard to pinpoint. Things that seem to aggravate it are certain chest exercises and pull-ups. I know that if i see a doctor they will likely schedule an MRI. But since the pain isn't acute or chronic, I just wanted other's opinions. Yesterday I went kayaking (I do that at least 2x a month) and last night I had slight pain in a different part of my shoulder, seemed like the center of it on the outside. Now that's gone and the labrum area is bothering me VERY slightly. If it's arthritis would it be affected by only chest exercises?? TIA

Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 1lostyankee View Post
    50 yr old female....since I've started doing an upper body routine with weights 3x a week (40 minutes), I have occasional pain in the front of my right shoulder. It's not sharp or bad pain, and it's not all the time, and sometimes it's gone completely. I've had a rotator cuff tear before and it doesn't feel like that at all. It could possibly be the labrum area but hard to pinpoint. Things that seem to aggravate it are certain chest exercises and pull-ups. I know that if i see a doctor they will likely schedule an MRI. But since the pain isn't acute or chronic, I just wanted other's opinions. Yesterday I went kayaking (I do that at least 2x a month) and last night I had slight pain in a different part of my shoulder, seemed like the center of it on the outside. Now that's gone and the labrum area is bothering me VERY slightly. If it's arthritis would it be affected by only chest exercises?? TIA
    if it bothers only in chest exercises you might be problem with stability, on example if you go all the way down in the push up, you need some internal rotation, if you lack of internal rotation because your subscapularis is too weak you gonna experience shoulder pain. Try this out before chest exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIBpU9orjTs

Anything is possible, thank you.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    See a doctor to figure out medical issues. Find a good orthopedic surgeon in your are and schedule an appointment. How to find a good ortho? Check out who the head doctors are for professional sports teams (or high level college) in your area. Most of them are orthopedic surgeons and have a private practice. They will take your sporting activities seriously and work with you to find a good solution to whatever issue you have. In the meantime you can use parts of a good shoulder rehab routine as a warm-up prior to lifting or kayaking. Look for a "Throwers 10" program (10 exercises used as AC/RC/Scap/Labrum rehab or overhead athletes - good things for anyone with shoulder issues).

Thank you! My nurse friend suggested heat and ice for a few days to see if that helps. I am not exercising this week to give it a rest. I will also check with a physical therapist. If the pain returns next week with a pushup or a pullup, I will make an appt with an ortho.