double6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Skinny Fat - Cutting out love handles

I (28M - 70KG in Weight, 176cm in Height) am a skinny person but with a little too much fat around the waist from excessive beer, rice, cheese and other fatty foods. I have started to follow a 6-day routine where I work at least 2 muscle groups per day x 2 times a week from a month ago. I would like some assistance with regard to changing my diet so I can first get rid of my love handles (while adding the goal of cutting total body fat instead of relying on direct abdominal exercises); I consume a lot of rice and curry which isn't giving me any result in getting a good lean cut. Any tips on how I can calculate my intake and deficit? TIA.

A picture has been attached here for a better idea
    Attached Images
    Last edited by double6; 06-12-2021 at 10:27 PM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Love handles are there because you have too much bodyfat and your genetics decide to put fat in those areas. It isn't because of the types of food you ate - you just ate more calories than you needed. It doesn't matter if this came from carbs or fat.

The solution is the same for everyone. Do a whole body training routine like Fierce 5, aim for progressive overload.

You can start at a lower calorie level to see if you can lose some fat while also gaining muscle - but if the progress on your routine starts to slow down, you may need to increase calories... You should prioritise muscle gain because that is what takes the longest. You will also have to do phases of fat loss but there is no rush to do this because at the moment, you won't get a sixpack only by dieting.

double6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Love handles are there because you have too much bodyfat and your genetics decide to put fat in those areas. It isn't because of the types of food you ate - you just ate more calories than you needed. It doesn't matter if this came from carbs or fat.

The solution is the same for everyone. Do a whole body training routine like Fierce 5, aim for progressive overload.

You can start at a lower calorie level to see if you can lose some fat while also gaining muscle - but if the progress on your routine starts to slow down, you may need to increase calories... You should prioritise muscle gain because that is what takes the longest. You will also have to do phases of fat loss but there is no rush to do this because at the moment, you won't get a sixpack only by dieting.
    Thanks mate, that helps. I don't expect a sixpack or shredded obliques just yet, all I'm after is a decent amount of overall body fat loss. In addition to the FIERCE 5 Program, if I start off the day with a 2KM run/jog, that may double up the speed of my fat loss progress, correct?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by double6 View Post
    Thanks mate, that helps. I don't expect a sixpack or shredded obliques just yet, all I'm after is a decent amount of overall body fat loss. In addition to the FIERCE 5 Program, if I start off the day with a 2KM run/jog, that may double up the speed of my fat loss progress, correct?
    It's not necessary - you can just adjust your intake instead. The same net calorie balance results in the same amount of fat lost.

But some people prefer to eat more and burn more, as long as the extra exercise doesn't interfere with recovery from weight training, its a matter of choice. Of course cardio has other health related benefits too.

blueyz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you're just starting out it's easy to be a little too excited/motivated.
    -> Result: people trying to implement a routine that is too much for them longterm.

I would recommend you start with a (for example the mentioned Fierce5) program. If after a month you feel like things are moving too slow/you have surplus time & energy left, you can still implement the additional running. If it's the health benefits you're after you can always add 5-15 minutes of intervals 2-3/week to the end of your lifting workouts.

Good luck

Registered User GlobeTrotter213's Avatar
    GlobeTrotter213 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by double6 View Post
    I (28M - 70KG in Weight, 176cm in Height) am a skinny person but with a little too much fat around the waist from excessive beer, rice, cheese and other fatty foods. I have started to follow a 6-day routine where I work at least 2 muscle groups per day x 2 times a week from a month ago. I would like some assistance with regard to changing my diet so I can first get rid of my love handles (while adding the goal of cutting total body fat instead of relying on direct abdominal exercises); I consume a lot of rice and curry which isn't giving me any result in getting a good lean cut. Any tips on how I can calculate my intake and deficit? TIA.

A picture has been attached here for a better idea
    1. Track your calories. Use Calorimeter or some app. It seems to be working for me.
    2. Eat Healthy. Cut the crap. No junk food. I mean it's okay to take a cheat once in a while but if you get hungry from time to time then you should check your diet. Try to eat three square healthy meals a day. If you wanna munch on something I'd recommend fruit. Also drinking a glass of water before every meal is a cheat
    3. Yes, Obviously workout. Do what you love. I don't have any recommendations. Aim to workout for 30 to 60 minutes everyday.