Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Prefer Protein Bars to Desserts

I recently heard someone complaining about “lying to themselves” that protein bars were as good as candy. The thing is, I honestly vastly prefer protein bars to real cookies/candy/etc. I don’t eat traditional ”sweets” too often. I mean, I can’t say no to a choc chip cookie, but I just don’t crave them as much as protein bars. Can anyone relate to this or explain this? I’ve always loved protein bars even as a young kid & never want too many overly sweet things. It’s probably genetic, but I wonder if it’s an example of “you like what you eat more than you eat what you like”. If so, Americans outta start re-stocking their cookie jars with protein bars

EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think they're pretty good but not something to specifically seek-out, personally. IME they tend to have a weird, tangy flavor but that might be me just eating inferior ones.

I don't really like candy either though
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I eat protein bars daily and also don't eat super sweet desserts/candy much, but there's a wide variety of (less sweet) desserts I'd crave more between cakes, cookies, ice cream, tarts, other baked goods, etc.

If typical desserts had protein in them and were otherwise "good for you", you and I prob would never eat protein bars.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Strawng View Post
    I recently heard someone complaining about “lying to themselves” that protein bars were as good as candy. The thing is, I honestly vastly prefer protein bars to real cookies/candy/etc. I don’t eat traditional ”sweets” too often. I mean, I can’t say no to a choc chip cookie, but I just don’t crave them as much as protein bars. Can anyone relate to this or explain this? I’ve always loved protein bars even as a young kid & never want too many overly sweet things. It’s probably genetic, but I wonder if it’s an example of “you like what you eat more than you eat what you like”. If so, Americans outta start re-stocking their cookie jars with protein bars
    100%

To be honest I think it has to do with the level of sweetness and the texture

Protein bars or at least those I eat are always more chewy/complex in texture and have just enough sweetness without being sickly.

Now if you compare a protein bar so something like a chocolate chip cookie or a cinnamon bun, I think there are cases where the later would be preferred, but for daily consumption I agree with the protein bars being something I crave
    The power of carbs compels me!

Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Strawng has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    100%

To be honest I think it has to do with the level of sweetness and the texture

Protein bars or at least those I eat are always more chewy/complex in texture and have just enough sweetness without being sickly.

Now if you compare a protein bar so something like a chocolate chip cookie or a cinnamon bun, I think there are cases where the later would be preferred, but for daily consumption I agree with the protein bars being something I crave
    Yea, I think it has a lot to do with the texture and how satisfying they are when I’m hungry. A cookie or cinnamon roll would be better only if I’d eaten protein/veg/etc. I don’t crave those on an empty stomach because it’s almost like my body knows they won’t be satisfying. Would you agree with this, or are you saying you’d eat those other desserts in place of protein bars if you could?

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A cookie or cinnamon roll would be better only if I’d eaten protein/veg/etc. I don’t crave those on an empty stomach because it’s almost like my body knows they won’t be satisfying. Would you agree with this, or are you saying you’d eat those other desserts in place of protein bars if you could?

AHHH ok I see what you're saying, and yes, on an empty stomach I would always prefer a protein bar I think.

I almost wonder if there is an innate or conditioned manner in which we visualize or anticipate certain foods that drives our appetite/craving for them.

For example, just by knowing (based on experience) that cookies and cinnamon rolls don't truly satisfy my hunger, I don't generate the same cravings for them if the goal is to eliminate hunger first and foremost; that requires something with more protein and/or fiber.

Once the need to satisfy hunger is met, my brain suddenly goes to "Oh, now a sweet treat sounds good".

It could also be that contrasting flavors are important to keep appetite peaked, and as a species we kind of know that purely sweet foods tend NOT to satisfy as much; savory tends to provide higher satiety. So in isolation, a cookies or a candy bar would not provide that.

However, if you're following up a plate of tacos with some frozen yogurt or cookies or a slice of cake... you're primed for that flavor change.

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I may have misunderstood the point of this thread from the title, but I thought we were talking protein bars specifically in the context of a dessert type food and not for sustenance. Dessert foods vary greatly in terms of type, taste and sweetness depending on what one's in the mood for.

Regardless, I think if protein bars didn't have protein mentally most people wouldn't enjoy them much as the underlying purpose isn't there. Kinda of like tons of people enjoy the refreshing taste of an ice cold beer, but if it didn't have alcohol it wouldn't be what you'd drink. Same way no one has non-alcoholic beer sitting in their fridge RN.

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Same way no one has non-alcoholic beer sitting in their fridge RN.
    My state used to have 2 kinds of beer. 3.2% you could buy at gas stations and grocery stores. Strong beer was only sold in liquor stores. I'd have all sort of out of state people rent my houses for a few weeks for a job here and then move on to their next job. I can't count how many times I would find a 12 pack in the fridge with 1 beer missing from it. They'd buy a 12 pack at a convenience store on the way home, drink 1, it would taste funny, then they'd figure out to go to a liquor store for real beer. I even printed up a sign to put up on every fridge the house instructions (trash day, wifi password, etc.). On the sign was some warning not to buy beer from gas stations, but from liquor stores.

ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Psychology and forcing a perspective on yourself which has benefited you.

It’s like convincing yourself that your hand is better than an actual female. Sure Rosey Palm will do a better job but I’d rather have some broad doing it for me, real thing is always better than an imposter.

There are some really killer protein bars out there though.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I prefer candy tbh

If I need a snack Greek yogurt and fruit or cereal are my go to, or Hard boiled eggs and fruit.

When I’m hungry a protein bar just seems meh but same with candy. After bikini shows I’m the weird one with a Greek yogurt and melon fruit cup while other chicks stuff down the donuts and go out for burgers.

Originally Posted by manwittaplan View Post
    it’s like convincing yourself that your hand is better than an actual female. Sure rosey palm will do a better job but i’d rather have some broad doing it for me, real thing is always better than an imposter.

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    After bikini shows I’m the weird one with a Greek yogurt and melon fruit cup .
    You probably won't post any after bikini show pics on here, so I won't bother asking. But if you change your mind, by all means go ahead.

EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Love candy, hate protein bars crew
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post
    Love candy, hate protein bars crew
    But have you had:

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm in the same boat, but they're more expensive than normal chocolate bars so I try to eat them 2-3 times a week (instead of daily).
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

Originally Posted by xuerebx View Post
    I'm in the same boat, but they're more expensive than normal chocolate bars so I try to eat them 2-3 times a week (instead of daily).
    Protein bar every day crew

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Regardless, I think if protein bars didn't have protein mentally most people wouldn't enjoy them much as the underlying purpose isn't there. Kinda of like tons of people enjoy the refreshing taste of an ice cold beer, but if it didn't have alcohol it wouldn't be what you'd drink. Same way no one has non-alcoholic beer sitting in their fridge RN.
    Right, but part of the reason I love protein bars is because they have a "grittier" texture that really satisfies my hunger cravings because of the protein. They're like a less sickly sweet candy that actually satisfies me. I could apply your argument to meat as well. Part of the reason people love meat is because they know it satisfies them. Giggidy. I'm sure people wouldn't really crave steak either if protein ceased to exist, but that doesn't mean people don't love it.
    When I’m hungry a protein bar just seems meh but same with candy. After bikini shows I’m the weird one with a Greek yogurt and melon fruit cup while other chicks stuff down the donuts and go out for burgers.
    Well, at least you're weird too. I'm also a huge GY fan and eat it almost if not every single day

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Right, but part of the reason I love protein bars is because they have a "grittier" texture that really satisfies my hunger cravings because of the protein. They're like a less sickly sweet candy that actually satisfies me. I could apply your argument to meat as well. Part of the reason people love meat is because they know it satisfies them. Giggidy. I'm sure people wouldn't really crave steak either if protein ceased to exist, but that doesn't mean people don't love it.

Well, at least you're weird too. I'm also a huge GY fan and eat it almost if not every single day
    those chobani Greek yogurts with the fruit at the bottom I go through a Costco pack a week

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    You probably won't post any after bikini show pics on here, so I won't bother asking. But if you change your mind, by all means go ahead.
    idk what you mean after? Here’s some from a show. My next contest is a power lifting meet this summer, dates still to be announced
    Last edited by snailsrus; 06-11-2021 at 06:13 PM.

But have you had:
    HNNNNNNG! I have this exact flavor at least once a week as a dessert. Given the macros, I could have any other traditional "dessert" instead, but I'd much rather lightly heat one of those delicious sonsofbishes in the microwave.

@xuerebx

I'm honestly SO relieved someone else agrees with me that protein bars>other desserts. & yes they are very expensive, but I buy them anyway even though I'm broke af because I'm in the protein bar per day crew

Edit* For some reason BB.com won't allow me to quote you. Idk whether it's your username or what...VERY weird. You a bot, bro? Plz don't tell me my fellow protein bar lover was a bot all along

ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ManwittaPlan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    But have you had:

those taste so damn good, hard for me to decide between those and the chocolate pb

unfortunately the wrapper is more nutritious than the bar
    Last edited by ManwittaPlan; 06-11-2021 at 08:38 PM.

Originally Posted by ManwittaPlan View Post
    those taste so damn good, hard for me to decide between those and the chocolate pb

unfortunately the wrapper is more nutritious than the bar
    met rx bars are my fav -.- and Luna but those really aren’t protein bars. I also dig tiger milk bars lol if I have one it’s normally those

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    But have you had:

+1 - Fit Crunch are the best tasting protein bars. I like the chocolate/pb flavor but all I've tried have been good.

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    +1 - Fit Crunch are the best tasting protein bars. I like the chocolate/pb flavor but all I've tried have been good.
    They make an apple pie one now too that I need to try!

illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    MetRx BIG 100 Crispy Apple Pie > dessert
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

https://www.twitter.com/eyeonpalestine

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think a few factors at play, either one or more combined:

1. What you grew up eating and what you have gotten used to. I read about some culture where they are fed a lot of pickled foods from a young age and they grow up to not like sweets. For me, if i stop eating sweets for a few weeks then candy etc becomes way too sweet. If i start eating sweets i crave more and more.

2. Mental. Sometimes when you “think” something is “healthier”, you kind of lie to yourself that you think it tastes better so you can enjoy it. I used to do this with tigers milk bars.

3. Nostalgia. Sometimes when I taste certain protein powders or protein snacks I get taken back to when i was in my prime and eating like a bro.

4. Biological/animal. I think sometimes your body craves certain nutrients and that tastes better. Kind of like when dogs eat dirt.
    A dock in harbor is safe, and thats what docks are built for.

EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    those chobani Greek yogurts with the fruit at the bottom I go through a Costco pack a week

idk what you mean after? Here’s some from a show. My next contest is a power lifting meet this summer, dates still to be announced
    «Post spoon pics»
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    @xuerebx

I'm honestly SO relieved someone else agrees with me that protein bars>other desserts. & yes they are very expensive, but I buy them anyway even though I'm broke af because I'm in the protein bar per day crew

Edit* For some reason BB.com won't allow me to quote you. Idk whether it's your username or what...VERY weird. You a bot, bro? Plz don't tell me my fellow protein bar lover was a bot all along
    I hope I'm not a bot that's just my surname with one added letter, but these forums have been funky with quotes for a while now.
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".