Reply
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User jburchill's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: North Dakota, United States
    Posts: 50
    Rep Power: 0
    jburchill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    jburchill is offline

    Looking for a 3 month peaking program

    Hello all, I'm looking for a good 3 month peaking program. I know I'm more than 3 months out, but never too early to plan. I am 39 and will be competing in a meet in October. I been searching for one and I am having no luck on finding one that I like. I seen this one that keeps popping up: Powerlifting for Mass & Hypertrophy Program by Mathias Method Strength. I don't know much about it. Right now I am just doing Wendler 531 just for some structure of a workout.

    Thanks in advance!!
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Nicotaf24 Nicotaf24's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Posts: 134
    Rep Power: 1350
    Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nicotaf24 is offline
    If you have a little more than 3 months then I highly recommend Calgary Barbell’s 16 week program. Currently running it and feeling stronger than ever. I also had a great experience with Mike T’s Generalized Intermediate Program (I think that was 9 weeks though). Look into them.
    Colombian-American
    29
    Squat-Bench-Deadlift - 235-142.5-270 @ 100 (kg, lb lovers go and multiply by 2.2)
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Time is Muscle ECGordyn's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Posts: 2,706
    Rep Power: 20052
    ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ECGordyn is offline
    Originally Posted by Nicotaf24 View Post
    If you have a little more than 3 months then I highly recommend Calgary Barbell’s 16 week program. Currently running it and feeling stronger than ever. I also had a great experience with Mike T’s Generalized Intermediate Program (I think that was 9 weeks though). Look into them.
    ^^ Absolutely. They've also got an 8 Week program, or you could just cut the first block from the 16 Week to fit a 3 month timeline.

    Another peaking block is Candito 6 Week but that's just 5-6 weeks. Could run a development block prior to that.

    BB Medicine has some much shorter peaking blocks. Could run a development block for 8-9 weeks then run their 3-week peak.
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    above @ bw 88.5 age 43

    Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User Condo41's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2021
    Age: 51
    Posts: 727
    Rep Power: 3245
    Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Condo41 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Condo41 is offline
    I'm not even close to being a competitor but in certain with some light research into JEFF NIPPARD's program sets you'll be pleasantly accommodated.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User jburchill's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: North Dakota, United States
    Posts: 50
    Rep Power: 0
    jburchill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    jburchill is offline
    I like the structure of Calgary Barbell’s 16 week program or the 8 week program. I have never done RPE's before, so kind of confuses me a little.

    Where are the assistance lifts? I don't see no triceps work, or back work like rows, pulldowns etc....
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Time is Muscle ECGordyn's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Posts: 2,706
    Rep Power: 20052
    ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ECGordyn is offline
    Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
    I like the structure of Calgary Barbell’s 16 week program or the 8 week program. I have never done RPE's before, so kind of confuses me a little.

    Where are the assistance lifts? I don't see no triceps work, or back work like rows, pulldowns etc....
    The Calgary is a powerlifting program, so it emphasizes the big 3 rather than lots of isos. Will definitely increase your big 3 lifts.

    There is a fair bit of back work in the program with the cable rows and 6 sets of DB rows, and the vertical pull. With all the benching, tricep work isn't necessary.
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    above @ bw 88.5 age 43

    Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User jburchill's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: North Dakota, United States
    Posts: 50
    Rep Power: 0
    jburchill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    jburchill is offline
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    The Calgary is a powerlifting program, so it emphasizes the big 3 rather than lots of isos. Will definitely increase your big 3 lifts.

    There is a fair bit of back work in the program with the cable rows and 6 sets of DB rows, and the vertical pull. With all the benching, tricep work isn't necessary.
    I see there is a lot of back movements on this spreadsheet I found. And with the amount of benching variations the tris will get worked pretty good. Actually looking to starting this next month. I have a meet this saturday, really no peaking for it. Just doing it for fun. Then I'm gonna do a program and then see what I get in October.

    Also, being 39, I am wondering about recovery for the squats and deads. How did you do with recovery?


    How did you like the taper week leading in the competition? I kind of feel like that is too much work for the week leading into comp. I would probably modify that for myself so I'm fresh on comp day.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Time is Muscle ECGordyn's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Posts: 2,706
    Rep Power: 20052
    ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ECGordyn is offline
    Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
    I see there is a lot of back movements on this spreadsheet I found. And with the amount of benching variations the tris will get worked pretty good. Actually looking to starting this next month. I have a meet this saturday, really no peaking for it. Just doing it for fun. Then I'm gonna do a program and then see what I get in October.

    Also, being 39, I am wondering about recovery for the squats and deads. How did you do with recovery?


    How did you like the taper week leading in the competition? I kind of feel like that is too much work for the week leading into comp. I would probably modify that for myself so I'm fresh on comp day.
    I ran the 8 Week four times last year at age 42-43 and recovery was fine mate. I was in a hefty surplus most of the time. Just take care of your shoulders because the benching volume is high.

    Actually I felt detrained during the taper. The 2 weeks before the taper are easy for me because there's so little volume, so in the future I'll just use those for the taper. You can adjust the last part of the program for yourself depending on your body.
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    above @ bw 88.5 age 43

    Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User jburchill's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: North Dakota, United States
    Posts: 50
    Rep Power: 0
    jburchill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    jburchill is offline
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    I ran the 8 Week four times last year at age 42-43 and recovery was fine mate. I was in a hefty surplus most of the time. Just take care of your shoulders because the benching volume is high.

    Actually I felt detrained during the taper. The 2 weeks before the taper are easy for me because there's so little volume, so in the future I'll just use those for the taper. You can adjust the last part of the program for yourself depending on your body.
    What were your training day splits? I like to go 5 days a week just to go to the gym and get out of the house.

    Also, I like to go heavy and probably train too high in my max %. You ever deviate from the program and go heavy?
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Time is Muscle ECGordyn's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Posts: 2,706
    Rep Power: 20052
    ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ECGordyn is offline
    Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
    What were your training day splits? I like to go 5 days a week just to go to the gym and get out of the house.

    Also, I like to go heavy and probably train too high in my max %. You ever deviate from the program and go heavy?
    No I followed the program as written. Submax training accomplishes the same goal as max training like 531, but without the ego pump. The last block you have the opportunity to go heavy with triples or singles @8 RPE, but that can have a big recovery cost if you overshoot RPE.

    I'd just follow the program and do 4 days lifting and on the 5th day cardio and mobility or something.
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    above @ bw 88.5 age 43

    Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Nicotaf24 Nicotaf24's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Posts: 134
    Rep Power: 1350
    Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000) Nicotaf24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nicotaf24 is offline
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    No I followed the program as written. Submax training accomplishes the same goal as max training like 531, but without the ego pump. The last block you have the opportunity to go heavy with triples or singles @8 RPE, but that can have a big recovery cost if you overshoot RPE.

    I'd just follow the program and do 4 days lifting and on the 5th day cardio and mobility or something.
    Definitely this, and if you are going to add some vanity work do not overdo it, don’t let it affect your recovery. If you are either bulking or at least eating at maintenance you should be able to recover. And definitely make sure you do lots of stretching and taking care of your shoulders, otherwise you will regret it.
    Colombian-American
    29
    Squat-Bench-Deadlift - 235-142.5-270 @ 100 (kg, lb lovers go and multiply by 2.2)
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts