Shafez88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Mild Marfan syndrome

Hello,

I'm 32 years old and started weight lifting at age 30 to gain some weight and muscles since i was under weight (weight:66kg /Height 178 cm) have been dedicated to weight lifting for 2 years , i gained weight and muscles at some parts of my body except my abs until my weight reach 78 kg with only 15kg fat ,anyway i started to look good and fit ...anyway 4 months ago i was feeling my heart beats strongly in resting time even it was at 52-60 BPM and my blood pressure most of the time staying at 115/78

anyway i went to doctor to check and found out i had enlarged Ascending aorta 4.4cm , doctor said it could be congenital ! but after researching it seems like i have Mild Marfan syndrome as i noticed my wrist and fingers isnt fat at all and looks like Marfan's syndrome , i went to another doctor to make sure and he said i have mild case of Marfan... and asked me to avoid weight lifting or heavy activity sports...and advised to do light sports ..

I was surprised and said , still cant believe i have to avoid weight lifting ! i found myself in weight lifting and it was my only relief in this life...

Anyone knowif it is ok for mild syndrome to do weight lifting with light or medium weights?
    Last edited by Shafez88; 06-07-2021 at 01:34 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Not familiar with it - but the answer to this kind of question is always to consult a trained medical professional. So if he says avoid it then avoid it you must. You can't really "go light" in this game - because training with light weights is not necessarily easier on the system than training with heavier weights - it just means you have to do more reps and push harder to reach the point of fatigue. There may not be as much tension on connective tissue but there will be probably more metabolic stress from doing more reps... So at the very least, you probably need clarification on what "light sports" means.

JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Not familiar with it - but the answer to this kind of question is always to consult a trained medical professional. So if he says avoid it then avoid it you must. You can't really "go light" in this game - because training with light weights is not necessarily easier on the system than training with heavier weights - it just means you have to do more reps and push harder to reach the point of fatigue. There may not be as much tension on connective tissue but there will be probably more metabolic stress from doing more reps... So at the very least, you probably need clarification on what "light sports" means.
    No one is going to be qualified to answer you online. At least not of this forum, and there are a few docs here including me. But if I were your doc I'd refer you to a group of docs that know more than me.
    Check this out. I found it with a quick search: https://www.marfan.org/resources/patients/find-doctor

Also, try not to get too worked up over light versus heavy lifting. You'll still be able to exercise, you may just have to modify it some.

Shafez88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JustTheDad View Post
    No one is going to be qualified to answer you online. At least not of this forum, and there are a few docs here including me. But if I were your doc I'd refer you to a group of docs that know more than me.
    Check this out. I found it with a quick search:

Also, try not to get too worked up over light versus heavy lifting. You'll still be able to exercise, you may just have to modify it some.
    I was reading and researching about this , Saw someone saying most important to keep Heart beat lower than 110 bpm during workout to avoid stress on Ascending Aorta.

Though i will check the forum you provided Thanks