ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ckeays has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Any Vegans Out There?

Hi Guys,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I recently have been diagnosed with hypertension, BPH (enlarged prostate) and high cholesterol (I guess from all the low carb dieting I did in the last 15 years).
    I am in my mid 50's. I have always weight trained in the last 15 or so years, sometimes on and off due to work, injuries, etc.

Doctors all want to prescribe pills, and they won't answer questions anymore unless I want to go ahead with prostate surgery.
    (Where i could end up with a permanent catheter).
    It is frustrating to say the least.

The blood pressure meds went directly in the garbage can after 6 weeks of dizziness and other major side effects.
    Yesterday I stopped taking the prostate meds because they are causing more symptoms than the enlarged prostate.
    (Dizziness, stuffy nose, blurred vision, and more)

The two medications were not taken at the same time. First I tried the blood pressure meds, then stopped, and went on the prostate meds.
    Neither was really helping me, and certainly were not worth the side effects.

After all, why take meds when they are making me sleep a lot during the day, and they were not helping me at all. This is how I gained weight in the last few years, along with the stress of the pandemic, not being able to work.

So I need to take matters into my own hands, since I cannot depend on my doctors for help.

I have been researching plant based diets lately and it seems to make sense.
    I don't usually eat a lot of meat. (I used to in my younger days)

I need to lose about 30 lbs.
    From my research eating a plant based diet will lower my blood pressure & fix any inflammation
    issues and may allow me to lose some fat.

There is only one problem.
    I WON'T/CAN'T eat Tofu or Tempeh. They are disgusting to say the very least.
    I don't want to become dependent on ready made meat imitation foods either.
    I prefer to make everything at home.

I have a great deal of discipline (always had), however in my mid 50's it seems to be getting more and more difficult!
    I have always eaten lots of beans/lentils/quinoa/lettuce/fruits my whole life so that will be easy.
    In fact my diet is pretty good, I never drink alcohol or eat junk food.

I want to lose FAT without losing all my hard earned muscle. I am weight training once/sometimes twice every day in my home gym.
    I have stopped eating meat, but have continued to use whey once a day with my oatmeal and sometimes I will eat tuna just to get enough protein.

I eventually want to eat 100% plant based sometime in the near future hoping that I will never have to take another doctor prescribed medication for a very long time!

Any advice or recipes are greatly appreciated. I am sure there must be others out there with the same problems.

In Witness Protection mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ckeays View Post
    Hi Guys,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I recently have been diagnosed with hypertension, BPH (enlarged prostate) and high cholesterol (I guess from all the low carb dieting I did in the last 15 years).
    I am in my mid 50's. I have always weight trained in the last 15 or so years, sometimes on and off due to work, injuries, etc.

Doctors all want to prescribe pills, and they won't answer questions anymore unless I want to go ahead with prostate surgery.
    (Where i could end up with a permanent catheter).
    It is frustrating to say the least.

The blood pressure meds went directly in the garbage can after 6 weeks of dizziness and other major side effects.
    Yesterday I stopped taking the prostate meds because they are causing more symptoms than the enlarged prostate.
    (Dizziness, stuffy nose, blurred vision, and more)

The two medications were not taken at the same time. First I tried the blood pressure meds, then stopped, and went on the prostate meds.
    Neither was really helping me, and certainly were not worth the side effects.

After all, why take meds when they are making me sleep a lot during the day, and they were not helping me at all. This is how I gained weight in the last few years, along with the stress of the pandemic, not being able to work.

So I need to take matters into my own hands, since I cannot depend on my doctors for help.

I have been researching plant based diets lately and it seems to make sense.
    I don't usually eat a lot of meat. (I used to in my younger days)

I need to lose about 30 lbs.
    From my research eating a plant based diet will lower my blood pressure & fix any inflammation
    issues and may allow me to lose some fat.

There is only one problem.
    I WON'T/CAN'T eat Tofu or Tempeh. They are disgusting to say the very least.
    I don't want to become dependent on ready made meat imitation foods either.
    I prefer to make everything at home.

I have a great deal of discipline (always had), however in my mid 50's it seems to be getting more and more difficult!
    I have always eaten lots of beans/lentils/quinoa/lettuce/fruits my whole life so that will be easy.
    In fact my diet is pretty good, I never drink alcohol or eat junk food.

I want to lose FAT without losing all my hard earned muscle. I am weight training once/sometimes twice every day in my home gym.
    I have stopped eating meat, but have continued to use whey once a day with my oatmeal and sometimes I will eat tuna just to get enough protein.

I eventually want to eat 100% plant based sometime in the near future hoping that I will never have to take another doctor prescribed medication for a very long time!

Any advice or recipes are greatly appreciated. I am sure there must be others out there with the same problems.

Bumping this up in case someone can help this fellow out. No advice from me but Good luck OP
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999

Social distancing expert

Be Decisive
    Right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is full of flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have nothing, but why not try a vegan forum? There has to be a lot out there.
    On the list for Bannukah

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Listen to your doctor. If they thought being vegan or diet is all you needed to change, they probably wouldn’t be pushing medications

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    May we assume you're vegan for ethical reasons?
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't think "vegan" means what you think it means. Plus not wanting to do what your doctors recommend is diff than not being able to depend on your doctors for help.

That being said, I do eat plant-based food along with pretty much everything else and there are many options other than tofu - plant-based... protein powder, protein shakes, protein pasta, protein chips, burgers, sausages, crab cakes, fish cakes, fish burgers, etc.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Look up Anastasia Zinchenko on youtube. I have worked with her IRL - she is very smart with multiple degrees and is a vegan powerlifter and physique competitor.

robayl1416 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, let me start by saying I don't want or need an argument or debate with anyone here, this is just my personal experience. I've been vegan for over a year now and I feel the best I've ever felt mentally, physically and spiritually. I went vegan during March of last year due to a health issue I had. My right foot was swollen and inflamed and I could barely walk due to the excess of animal products I was eating. I wasn't able to train and didn't leave the house for almost 2 months except for painfully limping my way to the hospital. I was eating way too much protein in the form of eggs, whey protein, dairy and meat. After going vegan I lost 20 lbs during quarantine and the swelling in my foot stopped. Like the others here have said, being vegan doesn't mean being healthy because there are many vegan junk foods out there like vegan ice cream, fake meats, vegan donuts, etc. That's why there may be some vegans who are fat and out of shape, but generally vegans have the lowest BMI out of everyone including omnivores and vegetarians. In my opinion, fake meats are only good for people transitioning to a plant based diet who still want a similar taste and texture of meat. When transitioning to a plant based diet, there WILL be a detox and transition period where you wont feel the best due to your body getting rid of all the antibiotics and hormones from animal products. Your gut will make a shift as well to properly digest all the fiber you're now consuming.

As far as fat is concerned, losing fat is easy as a vegan because most plant based foods like beans, lentils, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds are high in fiber and low in calories which will keep you satiated. As far as muscle, I definitely lost some muscle, but due to being on lockdown and all the gyms in my area being closed. During this time I was doing bodyweight workouts at home with cardio. However, since the gym in my area has been open now for almost 3 months, I'm actually as strong and even stronger on some movements in the gym even though I'm lighter than I was before while eating meat. The funny thing is my greatest concern was not being able to keep my muscle, but I'm actually making the best gains now than I was before.

For recipes, I'm not the best cook, so I always keep my meals simple, I cook some beans or lentils with some spices such as turmeric, or some mrs dash seasoning, chop up some tomato and avocado and put it in a whole wheat or quinoa based tortilla. For extra protein I eat vegan protein bars or vegan protein shakes. Organic is always best, but do the best you can if you can't buy organic all the time. Some great information I recommend you look into is a book titled The China Study and a book titled Diet for a New America by John Robbins(you can find the documentary of this on youtube). The China Study is about the connection between nutrition and preventable diseases. Diet for a New America is the same, but also goes into environmental reasons to abstain from animal products and animal cruelty such as factory farming. The author John Robbins is the son of Baskin Robbins co-founder Irv Robbins who decided to leave the family business to uphold his moral standards. I wish you all the best, hope this helps!
    Last edited by robayl1416; 06-10-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Grifter3511 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Have you tried Firm Smoked Tofu? I am not a vegan or even a vegetarian but we try to do meatless meals once a week or so and this is my wife's go to protein for meatless meals. It's not bad. The firmness gives it more of a hard cheese (not quite that hard) texture which is much more palatable than soft tofu imo. The smoked flavouring actually works pretty well. My wife has friends who actually eat it like cheese on crackers. I prefer using it in a stir fry or pasta meal so that the sauces can give it an ideal flavour.

calyk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can't post links, but here's a couple of great vegan fitness youtube channels, tons of recipes and stuff...

- Simnett Nutrition

- Brian Turner (make sure you google "brian turner vegan" or you might get the wrong guy)

And if you want to go vegan with others, do Challenge 22, you'll be in a facebook group with hundreds of other people for a 22 day program of learning about vegan food, with daily challenges (like make a dish with legumes, make a pasta dish, etc), share recipes and photos of your meals with the group, everyone loves seeing what others make and commenting and learning from each other. There are also vegan mentors to help everyone, and if you have a technical nutritional question a dietician will respond to you. No one is watching you to make sure you do every daily challenge, there are no grades, participate as much or as little as you want, but I would say be active in it because you'll get the most out of it. Since you're already big on legumes and such, the whole thing should be relatively easy for you and I'm sure you could help many people out with advice. It's fun and it's free... Challenge 22.

I have to speak up for tofu now.

Tofu freakin' rocks.

If you don't like it because you're thinking of the mushy cubes in your chinese soup, yeah who wouldn't turned off by that.

Forget about those.

There are basically four kinds of tofu you can buy at the store:
    Soft (aka silken, run for your life)
    Firm
    Extra Firm (great stuff, but even better is...)
    Super Firm (this stuff just came out a couple years ago, it's awesome, one pound has 650 cals, 70g of protein, and costs $3 at walmart)

A fantastic vid for beginners... google "brian turner how to make the perfect tofu". (but make sure you use at least Extra Firm. He doesn't mention that in the vid but you can see on the package that's what he's using, and it's necessary)

Tofu is great with BBQ sauce too.

I always use the Super Firm. I just cut it into little cubes, like sugar cubes, and fry it up and then I have a pile of it I can add to meals as I please, and add whatever sauces later if I want. I like it on white rice with just salt and pepper and veggies. It's great if you don't feel like eating a big pile of beans tonight, cut the beans down and add some tofu, that's how I usually do it. I like beans but they get old.

I also bake it in slabs. I take a couple of one pound blocks of tofu, cut each into seven slabs (that's 10 grams of protein per slab). Put on parchment paper on baking sheet, throw in oven for 30 min at 400 degrees. Put those in the fridge and I can use them for sandwiches (wheat bread, couple of tofu slabs, mayo, salt... just like eating a turkey sandwich, which I used to miss until I discovered this, in fact I like this better), or serve them on the side of a meal and dip them in ketchup or something. Biting into those is really no different than biting into a Gardein faux chicken nugget or something. Seriously, try the sandwich I mentioned and tell me I'm wrong.

I'm not vegan but I'm mostly vegan, I eat about 150g - 160g of protein per day, and about 30g of that comes from soy, mostly tofu. I love it and it's so convenient and so useful, you really should look into it.

69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have been plant based (Vegan) for almost 6 years now. I have not lost any strength or size, but the one big difference is my joints feel wayyy better now.
    The best part of this is, my kids are learning to live healthier because of me.

Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000) Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000) Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000) Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000) Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000) Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000) Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000) Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000) Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000) Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000) Ausbody is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey. I am plant-based since september.

Also like you, I don't go for tofu or tempeh, nor eat any imitation meats regularly. Though once a month I will indulge in a Beyond Meat burger.

Beans are your no.1 staple element here. Go for any beans you want/feel comfortable with. Start canned if you like, but better boil them at home. YouTube can show you how to do that. Simplicity is key. At first, my diet was basically brown rice and chickpeas and broccoli. Heavy focus on the chickpeas. It's that simple.

Good luck my friend.
    **Engineer Crew**
    **Positivity Crew**
    **Always Pick 3 Crew**

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    Listen to your doctor. If they thought being vegan or diet is all you needed to change, they probably wouldn’t be pushing medications
    I'm pretty sure that doctors push meds regardless of alternatives.
    David