Thread: New to lifting

spencer2045 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New to lifting

Hey fam.

I started lifting a month ago. Starting to see results in my biceps and am able to do 2 pull ups (never happened in my life). Wondering when I can expect to see gains in the chest?

When I flex, I can feel movement that I never felt before. I've been doing flat bench, incline bench and chest flys. For bench, I go as heavy as I can for 3 to 5 reps and try to do 3 to 5 sets.

I have never really been into lifting before so this is all new to me.

Should I be doing anything differently?

I'm not 51 like my bio says. I need to change that. I'm 35.

Thanks!

PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PhDPepper1111 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Be sure to read the thread: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=168581133
    Stick with it and you'll see results! Muscle building can take months to really start adding up.
    It's never too late!

5'6", 198

Results:
    6/20/21 Western drug tested regionals: DQ (bombed squats) @ 192lb
    2/27/21 PNW drug tested championships 468/308/501 @ 202lb
    10/10/2020 FS meet: 407/303/474 @ 212lb

Gym PRs:
    485/315/525

xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000) xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000) xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000) xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000) xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000) xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000) xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000) xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000) xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000) xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000) xTeTe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You'll learn more and more as you go.

The most important thing that you can do at this point is learn proper form and be consistent and stick with the your routine.

Amateur boxer turned bodybuilder...

Hit me up on Sherdog.. TeTe

June 2020 = 185 @20.5% bf
    Junel 2021 = 183 @18.2% bf

In Witness Protection mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by spencer2045 View Post
    Hey fam.

I started lifting a month ago. Starting to see results in my biceps and am able to do 2 pull ups (never happened in my life). Wondering when I can expect to see gains in the chest?

When I flex, I can feel movement that I never felt before. I've been doing flat bench, incline bench and chest flys. For bench, I go as heavy as I can for 3 to 5 reps and try to do 3 to 5 sets.

Thanks!
    Welcome

If this is all you are doing then yes, you need to do things differently, you need to work all muscle groups, think Compound movements, there are many great beginner programs out there, pick one. The Link Pepper provided is an excellent start.

Take care and good luck with your training.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999

Social distancing expert

Be Decisive
    Right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is full of flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000) satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000) satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000) satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000) satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000) satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000) satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000) satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000) satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000) satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000) satinder747 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey fam.

Thanks!
    Go through the link provided by PhDPepper1111, find workout routine that includes compound movements along with that also try to get good high protein diet. And, most importantly stay consistent, there's no specific timeframe. But, you can expect to see results after three to six months. Enjoy the process.
    Action and Failure Are Two Sides of the Same Coin. One Doesn’t Come Without the Other.

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey fam.

Thanks!
    Genetics.

Your age.

How much effort you put into proper training, nutrition, and recovery.

How consistent you are.

How much effort you put into continuous learning and applying the information you gather. Sticking with what works, throwing out what doesn’t.

Those are some of the biggest things that will determine your rate of progress.

None of us can tell you exactly when you'll start see physical changes in your chest.

We don't know everything you're doing and how you go about doing it. And you're new to all of this. So yes, there's definitely things you could be doing differently.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the Facebook Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.facebook.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr8jYRGthLppGdQhf8mw5Mg

Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lastochkin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    pull-ups with an elastic band, for me it is much easier, and gives the opportunity to feel the muscles.

drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Genetics gave me zero pec muscles. I have been obsessed with developing pecs. I work chest really hard. I make sure to mix it up between barbell and dumbbell, flat, incline, decline etc, dumbbell flys, fly machine. I don't do all of those every workout. For example, I might do flat barbell, and incline dumbbell, then flys for a month, then switch it up and do incline barbell, flat dumbbell, and fly machine for a few weeks. I typically lift in the 8-12 rep range though, and do 3-7 sets of each exercise. I also incorporate drop sets in my workouts.

BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000) BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000) BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000) BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000) BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000) BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000) BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000) BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000) BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000) BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000) BiGx5MurF is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wished I had known about neutral grip benching, and swiss bars when I started. Bench presses eventually bummed my right shoulder. I can still bench, but my right shoulder is sore for days afterwards. No issues when benching with a swiss bar though.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    True that genetics and age affect your training, but I suggest ignoring this because you can't change your genetics or make yourself 10 years younger there's nothing you can do about those

Consistency -- that's a huge factor, perhaps the biggest one you've got in your control. This is the one to concentrate on now. All the others mean nothing without this.

Effort -- obviously important, but at first this is secondary because if you go nuts now and then the novelty wears off and you don't stick to it long term it's all going to be worthless. Don't worry about effort too much at first and keep things within comfort zone to help consistency. A little later when have established training as a long term habit... then you come back to revisit this effort thing, so that your workouts kick your azz rather than comfortable. But not too much at first, hold back a bit at first

Doing the right stuff -- doing stupid stuff isn't going to give progress. Training largest number of the biggest muscles will have more effect on your body than training a few of the smallest ones. Don't just do a few curls, start a good program.

Diet -- Good quality sensible balanced diet with plenty of fresh vegetables, appropriate calorie levels and sensible protein levels. Aim to get everything with good real food, supplements are only there afterwards when/if actually needed to supplement a good diet. Don't think you can ignore vegetables and good food by buying a load of capsules from some shop. That's BS from people wanting to sell you stuff. Eating balanced diet of Real food is the foundation

Please read the link PhDPepper posted and follow it.

Welcome and most importantly, enjoy!!!

Follow that link

Originally Posted by PhDPepper1111 View Post
    Be sure to read the thread: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=168581133
    Stick with it and you'll see results! Muscle building can take months to really start adding up.
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 06-20-2021 at 02:13 AM.
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Bodyweight 76kg (19/July/2021) started cutting again 10 July :(

pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Can only suggest getting with a program you like, and sticking with it for 6 months or more. Doesn't sound like the best program, 3 reps, if you are looking for a lot of mass growth. Under the right program someone new to lifting can see some beginning changes within 30 days. Most people aren't going to be adding much muscle in 30 days. I believe it needs to be a comprehensive program- were you work most muscle of your body several times per week throughout the week. If you want a chest, you've got to build everything else around it, including shoulders. Lots of different kind of pressing. And to really get your physique going, you've got to do back and leg work.

Channel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When push ups felt like they were not doing much for me anymore i switched to dips and saw results in the chest.

May want to give that a try for chest development if it dips feel comfortable & don't bother your shoulders/joints/etc

Good luck!