ariahzach is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Squat form check (video)

Hi guys,

As the title says, can you please look at my squat form and comment on things that need fixing. I am relatively new to lifting and would like some form tips on the squat. Is it wrong that I stick my back out first before squatting? I find that if I squat normally, I engage my knees more than my hips and I end up with knee pain. The current way I am squatting alleviates any knee pain even at heavier weights (120kg in the video) but I notice that my knees are going beyond my toes. Please also compare it to the way I used to squat in the second link.

Thanks!

youtu.be/e7lXUg6WG7A[/url]

youtu.be/lbLQae4UEGA[/url]

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. Your form looks pretty good overall, so that's great!!

Your feet are not planted. Your heels rise up, and you favor twisting your heels inside.

I'd recommend squatting barefoot if you do not have access to flat shoes.

Imagine keeping your feet planted to the ground and pushing straight through the middle of the foot the entire time. Not the ball of the foot, not the heel, right in the middle. If you can keep your concentration of keeping the force in the middle of the feet, you will have more efficient force distribution in your squat.

Take a look at your descent and ascent for the same squat. Notice how the bar shifts forward.

Descent

Ascent

Imagine looking at yourself from the side, and try to keep the bar moving exactly vertical up and down.

Probably the reason you are rocking forward during the ascent is because you do not keep your upper back tight and braced in the same angle you have chosen for the descent. So make sure when you're at the bottom to grip the barbell and keep your upper back nice and tight, keep your shoulder blades retracted and depressed. If you are able to maintain this angle for the duration of the squat, you should be able to move perfectly vertical up and down.

Here are a couple of quick helpful videos that do a great job of covering some of the same ground I've discussed here.

Last edited by Camarija; 05-17-2021 at 03:48 AM.
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

Thanks man those are great tips! Do you reckon I should stop sticking my back out before I squat and try to bend knees and hip hinge simultaneously? Or is it fine the way I do it

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah ditch the shoes, they're likely throwing you off.

The heels thing could be remedied by widening your stance. That might also adjust the bar shifting forward thing. But, bar shifting forward isn't inherently bad.

Knees going forward also isn't a bad thing. Doing so uses more quads which is perfectly fine.

I think you take too long between reps. Just breathe deep once or twice, brace again, and squat.

Is that high bar or low bar?
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your "old" way looks better to me, but do whatever feels better for you and allows you to move more weight.

Hi mate, it is high bar. I will look into flatter squatting shoes. Cheers!