vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vizore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Need recommendations on what weight plates to get

I have a 5ft/2inch olympic barbell and have been searching for a set of weight plates. I am leaning more towards the rubber ones vs the iron. One main reason is noise factor. I workout late sometimes and don't want to wake others in my house, and I don't want to deal with rust or corrosion of iron plates.

This is my 1st time buying gym equipment, and the prices for these sets are shockingly high, at least $350 and up, is this normal for the prices to be so high?

Anyways, I have a relatively small body, about 5'7 and 127lbs. Not sure what my 1 rep max is, so I'm not sure what weight set to invest in. My goal is to build lean muscle mass, nothing to crazy. I want to keep my lean frame and just add some muscle on top of that. Do you think a 160lb weight plate set would be good enough for my goal?

I would appreciate some recommendations on some good sets of weight plates that will last and fit my fitness goals. I will be using them mainly for bench presses, deadlifts, and squats. Your typical compound exercises. I have resistance bands and a few dumb bells for my other exercises.

Registered User Benchpresser350's Avatar
    Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Prices are up due to Covid (because they can get more they charge more).

Some of my various thoughts on plates:

I use Hammer Strength Urethane plates, but they are not cheap, and Urethane is pretty much like a plastic coating vs rubber.

To me the Urethane ones feel like the dashboard of a car.

Still I love them, they are beautiful looking and will not rust.

I know you are looking or rubber but I'll ad if I were buying Iron plates I'd buy Deep dish Rogues.

Personally I'm not a fan of the all one sized rubber bumpers, but they will get the job done.

I prefer the Iron ones for the clanging sound when loading the bar and when lifting, but I decided to go rust free.

I also have a stainless Ohio bar for the same reason.

I have been told some of the rubber plates stink...(have an odor)...but I don't know how long that lasts.

The Rogue Echo bumpers come in colors but then they will get dirty and have to wiped down to remain clean looking.

Titan, Rep, and Valor Fitness also seem to have decent plates.

Also Troy makes some nice weight matched plates, as does York.

If I were buying non-Hammer plates, I'd go with York Deep Dish Iron, Rogue Deep Dish Iron, or Ivanko Deep Dish Iron (I know you're looking for rubber, I'm just saying for me).

Of those three York is the least expensive, then Rogue, then Ivanko cost's the most.

But if our looking for less costly plates, Titan, Rep, or Valor make them.

In reality any plate will do, Iron CAP plates tend to be less expensive, but the weight of a 45 and 25 can vary quite a bit between plates, and sometimes the holes are pretty big making a sloppy bar fit.

But as far as hoisting weight, any plate will do, a pair of Cap 45's that weights 47.5 and 46.2 or a pair competition Rogue's that weighs exactly 45 each.

It's just that when you get more weight on the bar the weight differences can add up and feel unstable.

If you are looking for rubber I think any of those brands above are worth looking at, including Hammer.
    Last edited by Benchpresser350; 05-30-2021 at 09:20 AM.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I purchased Vo3 rubber coated plates . I believe their based out of Ontario Canada .
    No regrets,as they are nice to pick up and they would be quiet to work out with if that’s a concern.
    I do actually miss the clanging of 45’s now lol.
    Some manufacturers have some dumb ideas where to put the grab holes , like three instead of two ,but these are ergonomically correct for me .
    They are probably pricey right now,but not nearly as bad as some of the other manufacturers

Bumper plate wall storage optional
    Attached Images
    Make Misc great again

triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would get Xmark. Great quality. I got the tri-grip personally, so I can do things like rows with the plates (lazy... or efficient? haha).
    https://www.xmarkfitness.com/weight-plates?p=1

I notice they're out of stock right now, but I got them a couple months ago, deep into Covid. So just check every few days, and snatch 'em up!

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Have you been to your local post office, and asked what it costs to ship 160 lbs?

That being said, these are the only places I've found free shipping on olympic plates, and I've ordered from both and been happy.

https://dumbbellbuddy.com

https://www.buyandsellfitness.com/co...lates-for-sale

heavily caffeinated grapegorilla's Avatar
    grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000) grapegorilla is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by vizore View Post
    I have a 5ft/2inch olympic barbell and have been searching for a set of weight plates. I am leaning more towards the rubber ones vs the iron. One main reason is noise factor. I workout late sometimes and don't want to wake others in my house, and I don't want to deal with rust or corrosion of iron plates.

This is my 1st time buying gym equipment, and the prices for these sets are shockingly high, at least $350 and up, is this normal for the prices to be so high?

Anyways, I have a relatively small body, about 5'7 and 127lbs. Not sure what my 1 rep max is, so I'm not sure what weight set to invest in. My goal is to build lean muscle mass, nothing to crazy. I want to keep my lean frame and just add some muscle on top of that. Do you think a 160lb weight plate set would be good enough for my goal?

I would appreciate some recommendations on some good sets of weight plates that will last and fit my fitness goals. I will be using them mainly for bench presses, deadlifts, and squats. Your typical compound exercises. I have resistance bands and a few dumb bells for my other exercises.
    I found this series of videos helpful: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...D-FVFCdWZuUf8u

TLDW: Rogue 6 shooters
    ▪[]─────[]▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #80 ▪[]─────[]▪
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #13 ▪[M]====[6]▪

It seems likely that barbell training would be more efficiently performed if it had more in common with engineering than with astrology -- Rippetoe

JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by vizore View Post

Where are you located? Tough to offer specifics not even knowing what continent you are on, but there are 3 broad categories in my mind when shopping for plates. Steel, Coated steel, and Bumper plates.

Steel is the cheapest, won't rust significantly if it's new, but it is a bit noisier. Cheapest also won't apply if you start to look at high end steel plates.

Rubber or Urethane coated plates are quieter when you put plates onto the bar. They sometimes smell bad so look into that before buying site unseen. The coating on all of them, even the cheap ones, is probably durable enough to last decades in a home gym.

Bumper plates are very wide, expensive, and probably not what you want with a 5' bar. As to whether 160lbs is enough. Sounds like it will be for a while at least.

Do you already have a bench and/or rack, or are you planning to build something? And again, where are you located