coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How much caloric deficit is too much?

Hello. Just need a quick opinion or two, as I am very new to dieting/cutting. I calculated my maintenance calories to be around 3100 or so. I am currently eating around 2400 calories a day. Is this too much of a deficit? I feel like I have lost a lot of weight for just 3.5 weeks of dieting (11 lbs, down from 211 to 200). Please help a brother out!

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I’m guessing you carry a lot of fat in order to lose that much. If it’s working stay the course. As you lean out, that calories amount won’t be such a big deficit and the losses will slow. Best to be on a good weight lifting program while in a calorie deficit.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) coleiandoli is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    I’m guessing you carry a lot of fat in order to lose that much. If it’s working stay the course. As you lean out, that calories amount won’t be such a big deficit and the losses will slow. Best to be on a good weight lifting program while in a calorie deficit.
    I'd like to think I'm not carrying that much fat ;( I have been regularly strength training for 3 years, and at 200 right now I can bench 325 and deadlift 515. Can preform like 30 something dips and 4 muscle ups. I guess I am just going to stay the course and see what happens. Thank you for the response though

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by coleiandoli View Post
    I'd like to think I'm not carrying that much fat ;( I have been regularly strength training for 3 years, and at 200 right now I can bench 325 and deadlift 515. Can preform like 30 something dips and 4 muscle ups. I guess I am just going to stay the course and see what happens. Thank you for the response though
    Keep in mind some of the initial loss would be water and glycogen. Things will likely slow down now.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is tough to gauge without knowing what your bf% is.

For morbidly obese people it's very normal to see double digit drops per week.

This would be very concerning for someone who was slightly overweight and out of shape - say a 30% bmi. That would tell us they probably are in too high of a deficit and may even be doing damage to internal organs. This hypothetical person should only be losing 1-3 lbs a week and needs to increase their calorie intake.

If you have concerns, increase your intake to until you're only losing 2 lbs a week instead of 3-4.
    AP7 Crew
    Rogue Home Gym Crew
    Officecel Crew
    Motorcycle Crew

“When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful.”
    ― Eric Thomas, The Secret to Success

newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think you're ok. Typically mediumish or modest body fat people the advice is 2lbs/week or less. So 1000 calorie deficit. The more overweight you are the faster you can usually safely go. I'm not sure the upper limit, but 2 lbs / week is a good rule of thumb for almost everyone.

3.5 weeks is only just starting to be long enough to really get a good sense of trend line also. Still, I like the advice above. If you continue to see weight loss exceeding 2lbs / week perhaps increase calories somewhat.
    Last edited by newbutserious; 05-14-2021 at 07:36 AM. Reason: typo

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just don’t forget the loss will slow at that same calorie amount as you lean out.

If you’re at a true 2,400 that isn’t that low
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 05-14-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

misterblick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1lb a week is usually pretty safe but if you just started cutting, you'll probably see a bigger drop the first month or two. It should balance out after a few more weeks. If you keep banging out -3lbs a week after that, you might want to up intake to avoid muscle loss. If you're taking bi-weekly or monthly pics or measuring arms, chest, etc., you should be able to notice any large changes.

bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bforrester78 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    Keep in mind some of the initial loss would be water and glycogen. Things will likely slow down now.

This. It's almost completely normal to lose 10+lbs in the first few weeks of a diet due to water and glycogen loss. After 3 or 4 weeks, you should normalize to a 1-2lb per week.