Closed Thread
    CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100)

Question on high reps with high weight

Is it dangerous to do high reps with high weight? Like say if I hit the max amount of weight I can do during my bulking phase would it be okay to stop there and increase the amount of reps I do every week until I'm able to do 25 reps per set then do 25 reps for 3 sets with that weight when I come to my cutting phase? I realize that on a cutting phase most people reduce the amount of weight they're lifting pretty significantly and increase their reps pretty significantly. And I realize even if I'm doing high weights that if I do that amount of reps it will contribute to cutting instead of bulking. But I'm not worried about messing up my bulking progress. My only concern is if that would be a terrible idea because I'd be destroying my joints or drastically increasing my chance of an injury or something like that. Also I know this makes a big difference so I want to throw out the information I'm only 25 years old not 51. Since some people aren't getting what I'm saying here Ill also add that what I mean by high weight is a wright that's high to me or a weight I start out only able to lift to about 5 reps per set and increasing my reps with that weight every week until I'm able to lift it for 25 reps per set
    Last edited by CJthehuman; 05-13-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In the context of resistance training, 25 rep sets are low intensity by definition.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One man's high weight is another man's low weight, sometimes even for the same man.

CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100) CJthehuman is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    One man's high weight is another man's low weight, sometimes even for the same man.
    Of course. But what I mean is would it be safe to build up to doing high reps with weights that are heavy to me. Weights that I start out only being able to do about 5 reps with and building up to reps of 25

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    In the context of resistance training, 25 rep sets are low intensity by definition.
    I'm talking about weight training not resistance.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I use the same weight and do 12 reps for each workout for a week to 10 days. Then I do 13 reps for another week to 10 days. I keep doing more reps until I am doing 20. Then I go back to 12 and increase the reps. I also drink water from my toilet and eat raw meat. So take that for what it's worth.

TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CJthehuman View Post
    I'm talking about weight training not resistance.
    What do think weight training is if not resistance training?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Of course. But what I mean is would it be safe to build up to doing high reps with weights that are heavy to me. Weights that I start out only being able to do about 5 reps with and building up to reps of 25
    It doesn't sound particularly dangerous. Whether it makes sense depends on your overall programming and how you respond to it.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What he's saying OP is that "high weight" is relative to you and your own strength level. That's one reason why 1RM ("one-rep max") numbers are important metrics to establish and keep track of, because they're not only the measure of your greatest possible output of raw strength for a lift, but also used to establish the relative intensity of many different rep-schemes for that same exercise. And that is important and useful in establishing your own programming.

For instance, if your tested 1RM on the bench press is 315, that's approximately equivalent to 12 reps of 225. There is variation (for instance I fail attempting 315 again but can rep 225 for well more than 12) but for the sake of programming, "heavy" is considered in terms of proximity relative to your 1RM - not in objective terms or relative to someone else.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I've found this site to be a useful tool to get an idea not only of what is considered strong for a certain lift relative to your age and bodyweight, but also to get an idea of what rep schemes ought to correspond to different maxes:

https://strengthlevel.com/
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

What do think weight training is if not resistance training?
    When saying resistance training I think of exactly that. Resistance. For example when you get on an elliptical and turn the resistance up it's harder to pedal the machine. Yet there's no weight at all on the machine. Weight training could be considered weight resistance. But when most people say resistance they're referring to one of those machines where you don't choose an amount of weight to lift but have an option of something along the lines of 1-12 where the higher settings just offer more resistance.

When saying resistance training I think of exactly that. Resistance. For example when you get on an elliptical and turn the resistance up it's harder to pedal the machine. Yet there's no weight at all on the machine. Weight training could be considered weight resistance. But when most people say resistance they're referring to one of those machines where you don't choose an amount of weight to lift but have an option of something along the lines of 1-12 where the higher settings just offer more resistance.
    Don't conflate your misunderstanding of the terminology with what "most people" think.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No it's not dangerous, it's desirable. You'd be effectively making the weight light for you.

But what you describe - going from a 1RM to 25RM is not particularly realistic unless you've only just started training... Maybe it's something you'd do once in your lifting career but advances become harder to achieve as you get more advanced - to the point where making a 1RM into a 5RM would be an achievement in a year.

Don't conflate your misunderstanding of the terminology with what "most people" think.
    GTFO somewhere. You're literally just one of the countless fat kids who doesn't know anything about excercising and gets on these forums to try and talk crap to people who are actually putting in the work to be fit because you're mad that your body looks terrible from sitting at home on the internet 24/7. Proven by the fact you didn't even know what a resistance machine is.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    No it's not dangerous, it's desirable. You'd be effectively making the weight light for you.

But what you describe - going from a 1RM to 25RM is not particularly realistic unless you've only just started training... Maybe it's something you'd do once in your lifting career but advances become harder to achieve as you get more advanced - to the point where making a 1RM into a 5RM would be an achievement in a year.
    Thank you for the information. I actually wasn't talking about a 1 rep max guess I should've been more specific there. I was talking about a weight I start out being able to do 3 sets of 5 reps on. And building up slowly by adding a very few reps per week until the point I could do that weight 25 reps for 3 sets. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't end up destroying my joints or something from getting to the point I could do that. Again thank you for the information you've been helpful in a place very few people are.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    GTFO somewhere. You're literally just one of the countless fat kids who doesn't know anything about excercising and gets on these forums to try and talk crap to people who are actually putting in the work to be fit because you're mad that your body looks terrible from sitting at home on the internet 24/7. Proven by the fact you didn't even know what a resistance machine is.
    When people try to describe someone else, they subconsciously describe themselves.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    When people try to describe someone else, they subconsciously describe themselves.
    PinK, you are one hunky, lean slab of beefcake.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    PinK, you are one hunky, lean slab of beefcake.
    a2, you have the wit of Adam Sandler.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thank you for the information. I actually wasn't talking about a 1 rep max guess I should've been more specific there. I was talking about a weight I start out being able to do 3 sets of 5 reps on. And building up slowly by adding a very few reps per week until the point I could do that weight 25 reps for 3 sets. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't end up destroying my joints or something from getting to the point I could do that. Again thank you for the information you've been helpful in a place very few people are.
    I don't think you understand how long that would take with any decent amount of weight. Throw in the fact that some exercises your cardio will become a limiting factor, squats for example. Instead of trying to reinvent a wheel, why not just follow a beginner program like Fierce 5 of Candito's Linear was a long list of success stories.

Also, I wouldn't start swearing at the regulars around here, in this case he's completely correct. There's no one in the industry who considers resistance training to mean turning up the difficulty on a cardio machine.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    Also, I wouldn't start swearing at the regulars around here, in this case he's completely correct. There's no one in the industry who considers resistance training to mean turning up the difficulty on a cardio machine.
    I'm gonna guess OP has been around this forum for a while in some form too.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think you understand how long that would take with any decent amount of weight. Throw in the fact that some exercises your cardio will become a limiting factor, squats for example. Instead of trying to reinvent a wheel, why not just follow a beginner program like Fierce 5 of Candito's Linear was a long list of success stories.

I see what you did to your sig lol...

That was seriously hilarious
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Another satisfied customer.

Bookmark this thread so you can read it again in a few years when you've gotten a clue (fingers crossed). You might find it enlightening.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    You're a moron. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if you're a fat kid too. And if that other profile is literally just one of the many profiles you've made to do nothing but troll these forums while people who actually buy products off this website put in the work to get fit and you sit around getting more obese.

"No one in the industry" LMAO what industry are you referring to? Stop being a dick rider. You're just like him a fat kid mad because someone else is getting fit and people make fun of you for being 5'5 and weighing 350lbs. My advice would be get out of the house sometime, hit the gym like I'm doing, and lose your virginity before you die of obesity related health problems.

Another satisfied customer.

Bookmark this thread so you can read it again in a few years when you've gotten a clue (fingers crossed). You might find it enlightening.
    You're a sad fat kid. Move out of your mom's house and get some exercise. Also take your own advice and bookmark this thread that way if you ever do get motivated Enough to take my advice you can come back and thank me for telling you exactly what you needed to stop being an embarassent.

The projection is both hilarious and sad.

Mostly hilarious.

You have an obsession with "Fat Kid" you fat kid. Not quoting anyone, but you know who I'm talking about.