turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) turokturok5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

When should I start using a belt for my deadlifts?

I've recently got back into deadlifts since the start of the year, I do them twice a week when working legs for 5 sets of 5 reps. I'm currently doing 130kg for 5x5 (286lb) and weigh 77kg (170lb). I don't have any issues with back pain or discomfort, my lower back just feels a bit fatigued when I've completed my reps. My limiting factor at the moment is my grip and I've switched to mixed grip which is helping. But I was wondering when I should start using a belt to prevent potential injuries? Thank you

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by turokturok5 View Post
    I've recently got back into deadlifts since the start of the year, I do them twice a week when working legs for 5 sets of 5 reps. I'm currently doing 130kg for 5x5 (286lb) and weigh 77kg (170lb). I don't have any issues with back pain or discomfort, my lower back just feels a bit fatigued when I've completed my reps. My limiting factor at the moment is my grip and I've switched to mixed grip which is helping. But I was wondering when I should start using a belt to prevent potential injuries? Thank you
    Belts don't prevent injury. They help you brace your core. Go ahead and get one any time you want to.

I got a belt just before I hit a 155 x 4 squat and a 160 x 4 deadlift. Now I only use it at higher loads, love beltless training lately.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Belt will help you lift more weight, but not necessarily prevent injury. If you use one, I'd still do some sets without it and save it for PR/low rep training.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Personally, I subscribe to the school of thought which rejects straps and belts on deadlift.

Others on this forum are more experienced and knowledgeable about the formalities of advanced lifting and the potential risk for injury, but in my own view they are somewhat like training wheels in that they stunt the growth and conditioning provided by approaching the lift holistically.

That is one of the most beautiful things about the deadlift, what it demands of your whole system to move maximal weight from the floor to a full stand, and what it confers to you for doing that. The way I view it, actually holding this with your own hands and bearing it stably with your back and core is integral to this, philosophically.

While at a highly advanced level they will become necessary, the capacity of grip strength strikes me as a seriously underestimated aspect of the lift, and if you rely on straps it will not be trained and conditioned along with everything else improved by it. Grip used to be where I would fail, and now I can easily hold more than I can lock out.

If you can confidently do them safely, my recommendation is to continue training without them.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Watch this then decide if you want one.
    Its just more force production and intra ab pressure.

I love my sbd belt. The tightness and proprioception is great. I take it off to have to lift less for fatigue management reasons.

And no. You dont get a weaker core using one.
    Infact it trains your core more really.

Full transparency As of late I've been lifting street raw 90% of the time cos I'm lazy
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Up to you really.

I never use a belt personally.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whenever.

Small possibility of more core activation and therefore long term hype n gainz.
    More load = slightly more central fatigue over time.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I wear mine whenever I'm lifting heavy on either squat or deadlift, and I determine what is heavy based on how it feels to me. It doesn't hurt to wear it at any point, but I don't prefer wearing one so I only put it on for my working sets. Basically, anytime I'm lifting a weight that I would be worried about failing to brace my core or just slacking with the bracing in general. It makes it easier to maintain my attention on my core since there's a physical sensation to pay attention to, and it gives me something to brace against.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kharneth View Post
    I wear mine whenever I'm lifting heavy on either squat or deadlift, and I determine what is heavy based on how it feels to me. It doesn't hurt to wear it at any point, but I don't prefer wearing one so I only put it on for my working sets. Basically, anytime I'm lifting a weight that I would be worried about failing to brace my core or just slacking with the bracing in general. It makes it easier to maintain my attention on my core since there's a physical sensation to pay attention to, and it gives me something to brace against.
    Proprioception 👌
    I can dig that
    FMH crew - Couch.

Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Personally, I subscribe to the school of thought which rejects straps and belts on deadlift.

Others on this forum are more experienced and knowledgeable about the formalities of advanced lifting and the potential risk for injury, but in my own view they are somewhat like training wheels in that they stunt the growth and conditioning provided by approaching the lift holistically.

That is one of the most beautiful things about the deadlift, what it demands of your whole system to move maximal weight from the floor to a full stand, and what it confers to you for doing that. The way I view it, actually holding this with your own hands and bearing it stably with your back and core is integral to this, philosophically.

While at a highly advanced level they will become necessary, the capacity of grip strength strikes me as a seriously underestimated aspect of the lift, and if you rely on straps it will not be trained and conditioned along with everything else improved by it. Grip used to be where I would fail, and now I can easily hold more than I can lock out.

If you can confidently do them safely, my recommendation is to continue training without them.
    I use straps to prevent bicep tears. That’s literally the only reason I use them. You could argue muscular imbalances from mixed grip, but everyone has imbalances - they’re practically unavoidable.

As for belt. Yes it helps you lift slightly more, but I also use it to lessen lower back fatigue. The lower back is a slow-recovering muscle group, and I find the belt helps somewhat. I even wear it when I bench
    *Deadlifts pants after taking a chit crew*
    *Typos can go fucl themselves crew*
    *Nice miscer crew*
    *Loves reps, hates negs crew*
    *Faps before workout crew*
    *12+ hours of sleep crew*
    *Faps during workout crew*
    *Hates onions crew*
    *Faps after workout crew*
    *No fap crew*

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ironface View Post
    I use straps to prevent bicep tears. That’s literally the only reason I use them. You could argue muscular imbalances from mixed grip, but everyone has imbalances - they’re practically unavoidable.

As for belt. Yes it helps you lift slightly more, but I also use it to lessen lower back fatigue. The lower back is a slow-recovering muscle group, and I find the belt helps somewhat. I even wear it when I bench
    The reasoning being that the supinated grip on one hand puts too much strain on that arm's bicep?

Good point regarding the subtle stimulus imbalance, but honest question on the bicep tears...

Have you ever seen this happen on a raw deadlift that was lighter than say, 545 (assuming the lifter is serious and careful not to approach it cold or carelessly)?

The caution makes sense and it certainly happens at serious weight, but almost everyone on this forum pulls well below that amount. I'm not dismissing it in principle and am genuinely curious if you've ever heard of this happening.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    The reasoning being that the supinated grip on one hand puts too much strain on that arm's bicep?

Good point regarding the subtle stimulus imbalance, but honest question on the bicep tears...

Have you ever seen this happen on a raw deadlift that was lighter than say, 545 (assuming the lifter is serious and careful not to approach it cold or carelessly)?

The caution makes sense and it certainly happens at serious weight, but almost everyone on this forum pulls well below that amount. I'm not dismissing it in principle and am genuinely curious if you've ever heard of this happening.
    Seen 2 in person.
    Both the guys where yanking the bar with a bent arm going for max effort reps. One was in the 400s the other close to 600.
    Both ignored danger feels.

One was at my last meet, rolled his Bicep off the bone and up his arm on his 3rd attempt right before mine.

I timed out my 3rd @260kg cos I had a pre existing Bicep long head tendon niggle and wasnt risking it
    (I bottled it I can't lie) at a charity meet.

The chances are WAAAAY lower than people would have you believe, or social media would suggest and almost NEVER without plenty of serious warning signs and its almost universally bad workload management include too. Period. Just yanking isn't the major culprit, its just that the underhand grip is the exposed one.
    FMH crew - Couch.