Registered User CookieDoughBrah's Avatar
    CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)

Any math wizards in here?

Is there any way I can take my current calorie intake and median weight loss to calculate my maintenance calories? So say that I lose 120 grams per day eating 2500 calories. Can I use those numbers to calculate my maintenance?
    The little lights are not twinkling
    Uggs and I pads: all day, err'day bish.
    I like turtles.

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's the mean, not (necessarily) median.

Registered User CookieDoughBrah's Avatar
    CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) CookieDoughBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    That's the mean, not (necessarily) median.
    Ok. Perhaps wrong term. Either way, can I use weight loss and calorie intake to calculate maintenance?
    The little lights are not twinkling
    Uggs and I pads: all day, err'day bish.
    I like turtles.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CookieDoughBrah View Post
    Ok. Perhaps wrong term. Either way, can I use weight loss and calorie intake to calculate maintenance?
    yes. let's say you're eating 2000 calories and losing 2 kg per month (= 0.5 kg per week). 1 kg is 7000 calories, so 0.5 kg is 3500, right?

if you're losing 0.5 kg per week, that means you're in a 3500 calorie deficit over the week. there's seven days in a week (3500/7), so that means you're in a 500 calorie deficit each day. now, if you can determine you're in a 500 calorie deficit by eating 2000 calories per day, that means your maintenance is around 2500 calories

hope this helps

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    120 grams lost per day is

0.12 * 7700 calories per day

because there is 7700 calories in 1kg of fat mass

This assumes your daily loss estimate is accurate. Ideally I would take at least 2 weeks of daily measurements to ascertain this. The regression slope (excel SLOPE() function) can tolerate noise better than a straight AVERAGE() does. It can also tolerate missing days - you supply both the date as the "x" column and your weight as the "y" column
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 05-08-2021 at 12:08 AM.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Dont figure grams per day. You have fluctuations all day long. Take current weight and then in 3 weeks take that weight amount and figure from there.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You want your daily standard deviation of calories to be as close to 0 (zero) as possible. There are also 7000 grains in a pound.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    You want your daily standard deviation of calories to be as close to 0 (zero) as possible. There are also 7000 grains in a pound.
    The speed of light is 1.8 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    The speed of light is 1.8 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight
    Light exhibits properties of both particles and waves. Nothing else does.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Is there any way I can take my current calorie intake and median weight loss to calculate my maintenance calories? So say that I lose 120 grams per day eating 2500 calories. Can I use those numbers to calculate my maintenance?
    Yes, but it will always be retrospective, so it will only serve as a guiding reference point for a period of time.

And, as you lose weight, the number will change.

Maintenance is a moving target... but yes, you can calculate an approximation.
    The power of carbs compels me!

Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darkius has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

No, because you don't know how many grams are from fat and how many are from muscle. Also, your body adapts. Eating more increases base metabolism some, and eating less reduces base metabolism some. All you can do is use an online calculator for most people with your specs to get you in the ball park and then from there go based on how you feel.

EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    No, because you don't know how many grams are from fat and how many are from muscle. Also, your body adapts. Eating more increases base metabolism some, and eating less reduces base metabolism some. All you can do is use an online calculator for most people with your specs to get you in the ball park and then from there go based on how you feel.
    I think it's better to estimate your maintenance from your own data instead of online calculators. Online calculators can be used as a starting point, but your own individual data will provide a better estimate. Also, not all online calculators are the same and you can get different estimates from different calculators as they probably vary a bit in their assumptions.

You are right that when you estimate maintenance from data obtained in a calorie deficit you will underestimate your maintenance because of metabolic adaptation (and systematic NEAT variation when going from deficit to energy balance). But you can factor this into your prediction to make it more accurate, for instance by adding 50 calories to the maintenance estimate suggested by a regression. Ultimately, the best way to assess the quality of the approximation is to observe what happens over a new data collection period when you actually switch to the assumed maintenance calorie level. I bet any approach based on own data is going to outperform online calculators in that respect.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post
    I think it's better to estimate your maintenance from your own data instead of online calculators. Online calculators can be used as a starting point, but your own individual data will provide a better estimate. Also, not all online calculators are the same and you can get different estimates from different calculators as they probably vary a bit in their assumptions.
    This ^^^^^^. Real world data is certainly better than an esitmator based on factors that may have little to no bearing on "you".