Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Row: chest supported vs bent over

Hi, I've been including more exercises for my back. I've done bent over rows and been trying chest supported variations too not to work the lower back that much. every time I do chest supported I only feel my traps and rhomboids doing the work, and not the lats. I used to do it with dumbbells and neutral grip but can't do it anymore because the heaviest dumbbell in my gym is 30 kg. My lats are my most underdeveloped muscle I think, so I'd prefer a rowing variation that target the lats more. Is chest supported row supposed to work the lats a lot less than bent over or am I doing something wrong?

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One arm dumbbell rows with elbow tucked in and pull ups will sort your lats out

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Generally speaking, tucked elbows = lats and elbows flared = more mid back/rhomboids

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I prefer bent over row. I've never liked any chest supported row. I don't feel much in my back. Many people are the opposite.

I'm guessing you're already doing some sort of vertical pull - lat pulldown, and with different grips, or pull ups/ chin ups.

So for rows, you could try.

One-arm DB row
    Two-arm DB row
    Seated or standing cable row, and with different attachments/grips.
    Single-arm cable row so you can focus more on one side at a time.
    Cable or barbell/ez bar lat pullovers
    Any other row machines your gym has

And like the guy above said, elbows in helps a lot of people with getting the lats to work more. When I was a trainer in a gym I would tell people to squeeze their elbow in towards their body as they pull.
    Last edited by MG5; 05-04-2021 at 11:47 AM.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the Facebook Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.facebook.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr8jYRGthLppGdQhf8mw5Mg

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Alexlarex View Post
    Hi, I've been including more exercises for my back. I've done bent over rows and been trying chest supported variations too not to work the lower back that much. every time I do chest supported I only feel my traps and rhomboids doing the work, and not the lats. I used to do it with dumbbells and neutral grip but can't do it anymore because the heaviest dumbbell in my gym is 30 kg. My lats are my most underdeveloped muscle I think, so I'd prefer a rowing variation that target the lats more. Is chest supported row supposed to work the lats a lot less than bent over or am I doing something wrong?
    Try pulling ALL of your rows to your waist, as "low" (towards your hips) as you can. This will focus on your lats more. If you aren't doing Yates Rows, they them.

In terms of Chest supported rows, if the line of pull is fixed (chest AND bar are on machine), you are going to get traps/rhomboids/rear delts as you are. If you can do chest supported rows but with a free barbell (just a high bench), then pull up and back (again, towards your waist area).

Lats are difficult to feel for many people. Try doing higher reps if this is the case for you.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.