Boyadeh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

SHORTEN my PULL routine by splitting the exercises, while keeping of effective?

Hi guys. I'm currently doing a PPL bodyweight routine, but my PULL routine Is too long in terms of time because i need 100 minutes at least to complete it ( while I spend 70 minutes for my push routine ) and I'd like to shorten this time while keeping my workouts effective. This is my current routine:

3 x pull ups

3 x chin ups

3 x neutral grip pull ups

3 x narrow grip chin ups

3 x bodyweight curls

3 x prone grip bodyweight rows

3 x supine grip bodyweight rows

I think that this routine enables me to give it all and feel fatigued at the end, but I wonder if:
    1) it is too much volume
    2) some exercises are redundant and superfluous

My idea was splitting the various types of exercises into the two different pull days, in this way:

WORKOUT 1

3 x pull ups

3 x chin ups

3 x bodyweight curls

3 x supine grip rows

WORKOUT 2

3 X neutral grip pull ups

3 x narrow grip chin ups

3 x bodyweight curls

3 x prone grip rows

Do you think that in this way I could keep my workouts as effective even if I reduce the volume by removing 9 sets? To me it seems that I would reduce the volume too much and I would obtain fewer results ( hypertrophy in general ), but I'd like to listen to your opinions.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Boyadeh; 05-07-2021 at 04:31 PM.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Honestly. I think most people need a lot more horizontal pulling than vertical and chin exercises are very overrated.

I doubt I'd ever have more than 1 in a day, though I don't mind sets of different grips tbf.
    I'd probably cap at 5 sets of vertical in a session though.

Not sure if you do it elsewhere but I generally see rear delt work on pull days and there's not much of that here.
    And no single arm weighted rowing?

Your time frame is very confusing to me, 12 sets of relatively low intensity back work would take me maybe 30m if I was being lazy.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I was reading through the post and though "This really should be split up". But when I got to the bottom I see you split it up. Like he said ^^^, you need more horizontal pulling. Dumb bell row, pendlay row, or some row with exercise bands. Heck, you could even play Tug-Of-War with a medium to large sized dog.

If you have none of that equipment, get a rope and some heavy weight like a tire, log, some cement blocks or an old person in a wheel chair. Tie the rope to the weight, extend the rope, pull the weight towards you alternating with each arm.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Boyadeh View Post
    my PULL routine Is too long in terms of time because i need 100 minutes at least to complete it ( while I spend 70 minutes for my pull routine )
    Not that I'm endorsing your pull workout or non-published push routine, but "comparative time spent" isn't specifically a reason to adjust it.
    Last edited by air2fakie; 05-07-2021 at 02:33 PM.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Not that I'm endorsing your pull workout or non-published push routine, but "comparative time spent" isn't specifically a reason to adjust it.
    Push routine:
    3 x Archer push ups
    3 x Weighted push ups
    3 x Weighted diamond push ups
    4 x dips
    4 x pike push ups

Or

3 x Wide Weighted push ups
    3 x One arm assisted push ups
    3 x Weighted elevated push ups
    4 x dips
    4 x pike push ups

I know that time spent Is not a reason to adjust a workout, and Who knows, maybe I should probably Just Stick to It.
    The fact Is that a 100 minutes workout doesn't fit my schedule very well and, moreover, I've been told that 21 sets on a single workout, With 12 vertical pull ones, could be too much. So, I'm asking for a opinion.
    Last edited by Boyadeh; 05-07-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    I was reading through the post and though "This really should be split up". But when I got to the bottom I see you split it up. Like he said ^^^, you need more horizontal pulling. Dumb bell row, pendlay row, or some row with exercise bands. Heck, you could even play Tug-Of-War with a medium to large sized dog.

If you have none of that equipment, get a rope and some heavy weight like a tire, log, some cement blocks or an old person in a wheel chair. Tie the rope to the weight, extend the rope, pull the weight towards you alternating with each arm.
    I haven't split It up yet, it's just an idea. By the way, by doing Weighted inverted rows on a low bar as a horizontal pulling ( that's my " equipement " for now ), what advice would you give me to balance this rows ( how many sets in comparison With vertical pulling exercises ) in my workout?
    Thank you
    Last edited by Boyadeh; 05-07-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Honestly. I think most people need a lot more horizontal pulling than vertical and chin exercises are very overrated.

I doubt I'd ever have more than 1 in a day, though I don't mind sets of different grips tbf.
    I'd probably cap at 5 sets of vertical in a session though.

Not sure if you do it elsewhere but I generally see rear delt work on pull days and there's not much of that here.
    And no single arm weighted rowing?

Your time frame is very confusing to me, 12 sets of relatively low intensity back work would take me maybe 30m if I was being lazy.
    The whole workout consists of 21 sets, 12 of which are horizontal. Between these sets I rest for 3 minutes and 4 minutes between each type of exercise ( 1 minute and a half between horizontal pulling sets )

Would you suggest to remove 3 sets of vertical pulling exercises and add 3 sets of body rows ( 1 arm Weighted rows? I'm not there yet )??
    And please, could you tell me if the idea of splitting the workout between the two days, maybe by adding 3 sets of horizontal pulling exercises, makes sense? You tell me that 12 pull ups variations are too much, so could this be a solution?
    Thank you and please forgive my enlish

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Push routine:
    3 x Archer push ups
    3 x Weighted push ups
    3 x Weighted diamond push ups
    4 x dips
    4 x pike push ups

Or

3 x Wide Weighted push ups
    3 x One arm assisted push ups
    3 x Weighted elevated push ups
    4 x dips
    4 x pike push ups

I know that time spent Is not a reason to adjust a workout, and Who knows, maybe I should probably Just Stick to It.
    The fact Is that a 100 minutes workout doesn't fit my schedule very well and, moreover, I've been told that 21 sets on a single workout, With 12 vertical pull ones, could be too much. So, I'm asking for a opinion.
    I'd guess you could even cut a bit from your Push workout, but hard to say without knowing more about you, your progression and what your form/intensity is for all these exercises. You have to figure out what works best for you, but I don't think you need to do every variation under the sun during each workout.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I haven't split It up yet, it's just an idea. By the way, by doing Weighted inverted rows on a low bar as a horizontal pulling ( that's my " equipement " for now ), what advice would you give me to balance this rows ( how many sets in comparison With vertical pulling exercises ) in my workout?
    Thank you
    I would do 2/3 of my pulling in the horizontal plane, 1/3 in the vertical plane. Do I have any scientific evidence to back this up? Negative. I'm just going by the motions I do everyday in my daily routine outside of a gym. Operate a chainsaw, angle grinder, welder, lawn mower, punch someone (horizontal). Climb a ladder, raise my hand at an auction, flip someone off before punching them (vertical).

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The whole workout consists of 21 sets, 12 of which are horizontal. Between these sets I rest for 3 minutes and 4 minutes between each type of exercise ( 1 minute and a half between horizontal pulling sets )

Would you suggest to remove 3 sets of vertical pulling exercises and add 3 sets of body rows ( 1 arm Weighted rows? I'm not there yet )??
    And please, could you tell me if the idea of splitting the workout between the two days, maybe by adding 3 sets of horizontal pulling exercises, makes sense? You tell me that 12 pull ups variations are too much, so could this be a solution?
    Thank you and please forgive my enlish
    I was going over the split days and your target times..

It's hard to recommend much without seeing the whole. Plan
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee