Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    diamantkung3n is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question How does my deadlift form look?

Do I need to improve my deadlift? I was using lighter weights this time, not super heavy weights. I've watched deadlift tutorials on how to deadlift and been trying to improve them but I keep screwing them up no matter how many times I practice. Would it be worth it to hire a personal trainer although it's expensive? I don't have anyone I know to coach me.
    youtu.be/oyn2e35UFKc
    Last edited by diamantkung3n; 05-04-2021 at 11:52 AM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That camera angle and obstruction placement is pretty useless tbh. But your back still looks very rounded and you don't look like you're even attempting to set up properly.

I don't think it's worth hiring a trainer until you make a better faith effort at learning the lift. Most trainers prob don't even know how to DL right and IMO a good coach/trainer would be more useful to work out any issues once you have basic form down. Take your time before you lift to pull the slack out of the bar, get your hips into a good position and get your back (at least more) neutral - then lift.

It may be helpful for you to post a side video of your normal seated, standing and walking posture too - I'm curious if you have a(n un)naturally rounded spine because your prior form video curvature seemed really off.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    That camera angle and obstruction placement is pretty useless tbh. But your back still looks very rounded and you don't look like you're even attempting to set up properly.

I don't think it's worth hiring a trainer until you make a better faith effort at learning the lift. Most trainers prob don't even know how to DL right and IMO a good coach/trainer would be more useful to work out any issues once you have basic form down. Take your time before you lift to pull the slack out of the bar, get your hips into a good position and get your back (at least more) neutral - then lift.

It may be helpful for you to post a side video of your normal seated, standing and walking posture too - I'm curious if you have a(n un)naturally rounded spine because your prior form video curvature seemed really off.

Here is a picture of my posture
    imgur.com/L1c3Vvi

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by diamantkung3n View Post
    Here is a picture of my posture
    imgur.com/L1c3Vvi
    Well it's a little curved there but hard to tell how it's shaped under normal conditions.

But I personally couldn't recreate the lochness shape of your back from your prior DL video, so I think you might have contortionist abilities that might make your back curvature while DLing a little more rounded, even after you try to fix it more. But IMO you have to take time to set up better in general.
    Last edited by air2fakie; 05-04-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Should I stop deadlifting from now on since I'm afraid I'm gonna risk hurting my back seriously if I keep deadlifting like that?
    I can't predict what will or will not hurt your back, but IMO you should work on fixing your form with light weights. It all starts with the setup, which you're not taking time to get right.

It may help you to do a Romanian DL for now, since it may be easier for you to keep your back neutral if you start from the top down.

Well it's a little curved there but hard to tell how it's shaped under normal conditions.

But I personally couldn't recreate the lochness shape of your back from your prior DL video, so I think you might have contortionist abilities that might make your back curvature while DLing a little more rounded, even after you try to fix it more. But IMO you have to take time to set up better in general.
    Am I supposed to look in the mirror while I setup the deadlift? Because I find it really hard to setup properly without looking in the mirror.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Am I supposed to look in the mirror while I setup the deadlift? Because I find it really hard to setup properly without looking in the mirror.
    No that's not a very useful place to look at all.
    Start with this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA
    Then this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

You shouldn't need to but in your case, sure - look in the mirror to the side as you setup before you lift to make sure your back isn't shaped like a "U" upside down. But then turn your head forward and lift.

I can't predict what will or will not hurt your back, but IMO you should work on fixing your form with light weights. It all starts with the setup, which you're not taking time to get right.

It may help you to do a Romanian DL for now, since it may be easier for you to keep your back neutral if you start from the top down.
    Is it recommend lifting with a trap bar to improve my form?
    Last edited by diamantkung3n; 05-05-2021 at 05:08 AM.

Is it recommend lifting with a trap bar to improve my form?
    There's nothing wrong with a trap bar but it won't improve your form and it's a slightly diff exercise. See comments above.

If you're unable even during setup to form a neutral(ish) back with your spine you may want to see a doc just to make sure there's nothing funny going on.
    Last edited by air2fakie; 05-05-2021 at 06:00 AM.

There's nothing wrong with a trap bar but it won't improve your form and it's a slightly diff exercise. See comments above.

If you're unable even during setup to form a neutral(ish) back with your spine you may want to see a doc just to make sure there's nothing funny going on.
    I uploaded a video of me deadlifting with a neutral spine and I tried doing the romanian deadlift but found it much harder than the conventional. I feel like the deadlift is too impossible to do correctly whether it'd be the romanian deadlift or the conventional. Because I really did try to setup the deadlift properly in this video. I find that if I setup my hips too high my back will round.
    youtu.be/hpQXRYDXmZI

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Your issue is muscular coordination - it's a matter of practice and re-learning. It will take time. I agree that Romanian would be better than conventional now. You need to understand and perform the hip hinge correctly.

Alan Thrall and Eric Helms both have good videos with tips on learning this.

Re: your video above, your back is obviously flatter but at the expense of using your legs too much, it's become more like a squat. RDL will take this out of the equation.

I uploaded a video of me deadlifting with a neutral spine and I tried doing the romanian deadlift but found it much harder than the conventional. I feel like the deadlift is too impossible to do correctly whether it'd be the romanian deadlift or the conventional. Because I really did try to setup the deadlift properly in this video. I find that if I setup my hips too high my back will round.
    youtu.be/hpQXRYDXmZI
    I agree with SP that you're squatting your DL, but good job taking a little time during set up this time. Hip placement during setup isn't just straight up & down, you need to learn to move your hips back - pulling the slack out of the bar and playing with hip position up/down/back all work together to get you into position. So when you take those few seconds to look in the mirror before lifting, move your hips back too - your hips will be higher & further back but your back will be fine.

Romanian DL will help you learn to move your hips back (without bending your knees forward as much) - it's awkward at first but practice makes perfect. This will also help you lift the bar vertically straight up and down without having to move it forward to avoid your knees on the way down.

Has my deadlift form improved?

I agree with SP that you're squatting your DL, but good job taking a little time during set up this time. Hip placement during setup isn't just straight up & down, you need to learn to move your hips back - pulling the slack out of the bar and playing with hip position up/down/back all work together to get you into position. So when you take those few seconds to look in the mirror before lifting, move your hips back too - your hips will be higher & further back but your back will be fine.

Romanian DL will help you learn to move your hips back (without bending your knees forward as much) - it's awkward at first but practice makes perfect. This will also help you lift the bar vertically straight up and down without having to move it forward to avoid your knees on the way down.
    Does my deadlift form look better?
    youtu.be/cwPkjJypS3A

Does my deadlift form look better?
    youtu.be/cwPkjJypS3A
    Was half-watching the person curling in the background, but your form does look better. You still need to learn to move your hips back on a hip hinge - you're resisting doing RDL but you should. It'll teach you to bring the bar down more by moving your hips back. You're also not finishing the ROM at the top to lockout.

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not a single person in that gym is wearing a mask. RIP

Was half-watching the person curling in the background, but your form does look better. You still need to learn to move your hips back on a hip hinge - you're resisting doing RDL but you should. It'll teach you to bring the bar down more by moving your hips back. You're also not finishing the ROM at the top to lockout.
    What's so bad about not moving my hips back on a hip hinge? Just wondering

What's so bad about not moving my hips back on a hip hinge? Just wondering
    Seriously, do it however you want to. Good luck!

I tried doing a romanian deadlift in this video by setting up my hips higher and moved my hips back on a hip hinge and I don't know if I'm using the right technique. I don't even know what to do anymore since my deadlifts are so bad and my poor back suffers from it even if I use light weights.
    imgur.com/FPHxA5q

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I tried doing a romanian deadlift in this video by setting up my hips higher and moved my hips back on a hip hinge and I don't know if I'm using the right technique. I don't even know what to do anymore since my deadlifts are so bad and my poor back suffers from it even if I use light weights.
    imgur.com/FPHxA5q
    Link didn't work for me.

It doesn't suffer, it just gets worked.
    It's just an in efficient movement pattern, that's part of being a new lifter, even most intermediates need to learn how to be tighter, brace better and be patient.

In fact, if you've done all that consistently you're probably an advanced lifter.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    imgur.com/FPHxA5q
    I'll assume you didn't watch the videos I posted above. Go watch them. If you did watch them, watch them again because you missed everything on setting up. Quit looking at your camera when trying to set up and for the love of god don't crank your head over there while lifting
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Link didn't work for me.

It doesn't suffer, it just gets worked.
    It's just an in efficient movement pattern, that's part of being a new lifter, even most intermediates need to learn how to be tighter, brace better and be patient.

In fact, if you've done all that consistently you're probably an advanced lifter.
    Did you copy and paste the link?

Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    I'll assume you didn't watch the videos I posted above. Go watch them. If you did watch them, watch them again because you missed everything on setting up. Quit looking at your camera when trying to set up and for the love of god don't crank your head over there while lifting
    I watched at the mirror doing this, not at the camera.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I watched at the mirror doing this, not at the camera.
    It doesn't matter why you turned your head. It's a form breakdown.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

imgur.com/FPHxA5q
    There's no way you watched the tutorial vids GHawk posted above if this is what you think an RDL is. It's as if you're not making any attempt to even learn a hip hinge and just want to keep doing it your way and whine about not being able to do it right. And stop doing all your form vids with one rep only.

There's no way you watched the tutorial vids GHawk posted above if this is what you think an RDL is. It's as if you're not making any attempt to even learn a hip hinge and just want to keep doing it your way and whine about not being able to do it right. And stop doing all your form vids with one rep only.
    Any alternatives to deadlift? And pls don't recommend rack pulls and other types of deadlifts to do. I've decided that I don't want to do deadlifts because they are too hard to do even if I watched the tutorials on how to do it and the deadlifts cause me to have back pain afterwards and I don't wanna get a herniated disc.
    Last edited by diamantkung3n; 05-16-2021 at 07:59 AM.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Any alternatives to deadlift? And pls don't recommend rack pulls and other types of deadlifts to do. I've decided that I don't want to do deadlifts because they are too hard to do even if I watched the tutorials on how to do it and the deadlifts cause me to have back pain afterwards and I don't wanna get a herniated disc.
    Rdl, good morning, any reasonably full range of motion hip hinge.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Alternatives for what purpose? If DL, RDL, rack pulls, any hip hinge, etc. are all off the table I’m not sure what type of recommendation you’re looking for.

My position from your 1 rep RDL video still is that you didn’t make any attempt to learn the movement (and likely the regular DL too) correctly at all.

If you don’t want to do any of those exercises, don’t do them. It’s your workout and body.

Alternatives for what purpose? If DL, RDL, rack pulls, any hip hinge, etc. are all off the table I’m not sure what type of recommendation you’re looking for.

My position from your 1 rep RDL video still is that you didn’t make any attempt to learn the movement (and likely the regular DL too) correctly at all.

If you don’t want to do any of those exercises, don’t do them. It’s your workout and body.
    Am I making any progress here? I changed my mind because there were really no other exercises to practice my hip hinge. This time I did 5 reps and not only one rep on the rdl. Is it normal for my back to hurt a bit afterwards every time I deadlift? I really focused on the hip hinge. imgur.com/a/qHjTQsY

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're bending your knees too much. The bar path should be straight up and down.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16