tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunejunkie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Want to learn BJJ - however i have previous pec tear , so I’m gun-shy. How often

are you seeing folks getting injured in classes/practice?

I have no desire to compete this is strictly for self defense knowledge and a good workout.

Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Duckliver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Non competitors don’t seem to get injured too often.

Haven’t seen any crippling injuries but plenty of knee / shoulder tears with 1-5 months out in those of us who compete regularly.

Getting a MRI this Saturday for my knee that still hurts 2 1/2 months after a heel hook where my ankle popped. But still training for June Ibjjf Boise open... at least I’m getting it looked at right?

Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit a BJJ studio. Talk to the instructor. See where the focus is and what kind of membership they offer.

Some focus on self defense. Others want to train for competition. Still others don't care about anything but making money. Figure out what the focus of the location is.

If you think it fits what you want, sit and watch a class BEFORE signing anything.

If you do these and you're still interested in this studio, talk to the instructor about previous injuries before starting.

ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    for me injuries i feel are inevitable in bjj, even when you get some color on your belt and learn how to flow roll the potential is always there.

finger joints will almost always be tender after a gi class, sprains are very common.

all your joints are vulnerable.

i know many here might say you don't need a mouthpiece but IMO you should wear one, all it takes is one accidental knee in the face to lose a tooth. i can't tell you how many times i've taken an elbow or knee right in the mouth over the years and this wasn't during a striking class. it happens.

bring knee pads with you, they'll help especially when it's a double leg takedown class....landing on the knee 40-60 times over the course of 90 minutes can really wreck havoc.

tape will be your best friend.

also get yourself some liquid bandage, that matburn when you come home and shower is a lot of fun.
    Kid Covid

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ain’t worth it.

There are other ways to defend yourself, and save your money and time too. Don’t f*ck around with previous injuries, you will regret it. Count your lucky stars that you don’t have a permanent issue, and keep it that way.

lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by omeatmebroc View Post
    Dont join this sport ifyou dont want to get injured (even as a casual practitioner)
    Precisely, except instead of "want to get injured" I'd say expect to get injured. You're gonna get hurt at some point but you can lessen your chances by avoiding the spazzy rollers or the ones who are trying to go hard at your expense just to impress the coaches when they walk by.

Find a good purple or brown belt to take you under their wing that likes to flow roll and let you work in technique. The ones who just try to smash you all day everyday are just going to eventually injure you or leave you frustrated to the point you stop coming.

I have no problem telling someone I don't want to roll with them either because I'm greatly increasing my likelihood of injury or infection because I know how carelessly they train or also because their hygiene is terrible.

Even then, you're still going to get hurt. However the way I look at it the sum of all your injuries acquired by training in a controlled environment is still less than the injuries you'd sustain untrained in the typical street fight where the other guy will continue to stomp your head for several minutes after you've gone unconscious.
    "Luck" is probability taken personally

Never accept a "No" from someone who wasn't empowered to give you a "Yes" in the first place

aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    every sport will have injury, and contact sports much higher. if you need to work and this is just your leisure, its fine to pick up a leisure, you dont want it to affect your work, but definitely only roll with a friend that you can trust.
    i have a pec tear as well, and in certain positions, my pec go cramping up.
    roll with a friend that dont do stupid things, you dont want a broken finger, broken hand, theres much more that is worse than a pec tear imo.

I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) I3igAl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If your only goal is self defense don't do BJJ.
    It works, but a lot of it is not that practical for your purpose. If you also consider wrestling around with people and want to improve your overall fitness, it's still a good martial art though.

akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) akmerle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    TLDR - Find a gym that focuses on technique and drilling rather than a gym that focuses more on competitions and MMA. Check your ego at the door. Tap early and often. Focus on a learning and technique mindset.

I’ve only been doing bjj for going on 4 years now, but I don’t see any more injuries compared to other sports / activities that have a general “live” component (basketball, rugby,soccer, baseball, softball, etc). Nor any more injuries compared to other more strenuous exercise systems (CrossFit, powerlifting, distance running, etc).

Yes, you will see and experience some bumps and bruises. It is a martial art, so those are to be expected. But more serious injuries are extremely rare.

For what you are looking for, look for a gym that focuses on technique and drilling. Avoid gyms that are more focused on competitions / MMA.

The worst injuries I’ve seen are when mma guys / wrestlers / white - blue competition centric guys are going hard in live rolls. Have seen one pec tear from a brown / ex mma champ / wrestler stud on purple belt / mma / stud wrestler roll where the purple tried to muscle out of a shoulder lock. The brown felt HORRIBLE, and the purple apologized profusely since he knew he should have tapped much sooner.

I’m just a smaller (compete anywhere from 155-170) middle aged dude who does a tournament or two a year (did win my first intermediate No-gi tournament last week tho!). I value my health and the peace I find through bjj, so I really focus on rolling wisely. I tap early and often. I don’t roll with spazzy white belts if I’m tired or not mentally engaged. I also simply won’t roll with guys who I don’t feel comfortable with. I have not had any serious injuries that have kept me out for more than a week.

Among casual practitioners, the worst thing I’ve seen in a lady broke her pinkie, and one of the youth girls got her nose broke in a death match with her brother.