samrozay3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is it time to start bulking up?

Hi guys,

quick info about me: I'm 175cm and weigh 69kg ("5"8 & 152 lbs). After being inactive for around 5 years I decided to get into shape back in April 2020. Since then I've lost around 14kg and have been working out without a break. I feel and I look infinitely better than I did a year ago.

My plan is to cut down for another 6 weeks and maybe lose another 3-4 kg and then steadily increase my caloric intake to around maintenance and then go for a 15% surplus and try to put on as much muscle mass as possible until next March without becoming a blob of fat.

My question for the community: is there even any point in cutting for these next 6 weeks or should I start increasing my calories right away?

Thanks for any tips

Sam
    Attached Images

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you can still cut a bit more if you want, or just eat at maintenance for a while before bulking

EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would eat 500 calories or so above maintenance and start lifting heavy and consistently. You're too light for it to be worth trying to "sculpt" anything IMO. If you're not eating much over maintenance your moderately low degree of existing bodyfat will matter far less than gaining legitimate mass, which you should focus on primarily. Your build looks a little bench dominant, also. Are you doing compound pulls and lower body work of some sort?
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would not bulk.

I would continue to cut or maintain till you start to lose strength/aren’t gaining any strength. But also it doesn’t need to be a drastic deficit if you decide to cut. It’s gunna be slow and steady.

Also what is your current lifting routine? What are your squat, deadlift and bench?
    Wincel and SS crew

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJdQfjaRAG0

This is all I have to say. Pick one. Paulinkansas.

EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by samrozay3 View Post
    Hi guys,

quick info about me: I'm 175cm and weigh 69kg ("5"8 & 152 lbs). After being inactive for around 5 years I decided to get into shape back in April 2020. Since then I've lost around 14kg and have been working out without a break. I feel and I look infinitely better than I did a year ago.

My plan is to cut down for another 6 weeks and maybe lose another 3-4 kg and then steadily increase my caloric intake to around maintenance and then go for a 15% surplus and try to put on as much muscle mass as possible until next March without becoming a blob of fat.

My question for the community: is there even any point in cutting for these next 6 weeks or should I start increasing my calories right away?

Thanks for any tips

Sam
    I agree with either of these:

i) Cut slowly until you lose strength/stop progressing, then switch to maintenance and try to progress on maintenance. Only if that doesn't work, consider "lean bulking".

ii) Stop cutting and progress now at maintenance. You are at a bodyweight where you can look very good after a long time of consistent strength training.

In an ideal world I would favor option ii). But it is psychologically tricky to actually implement this strategy as it takes a long time to visually notice body composition changes (muscle growth is slow), you'll need a lot of patience for that.

I think you should try to avoid "bulking". Most formerly overweight people who lose fat regain most or all of it back again. The exception is if you are 100% sure you can bulk without letting it get out of control.
    Last edited by EiFit91; 04-25-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    I would eat 500 calories or so above maintenance and start lifting heavy and consistently. You're too light for it to be worth trying to "sculpt" anything IMO. If you're not eating much over maintenance your moderately low degree of existing bodyfat will matter far less than gaining legitimate mass, which you should focus on primarily. Your build looks a little bench dominant, also. Are you doing compound pulls and lower body work of some sort?
    Thanks for your reply. Your observation there is correct, I have slightly rounded shoulders and am a little pec/shoulder dominant. That's why I'm doing legs 2x, pull 2x and push 1x to balance that out. I do squats, deadlifts, barbell row variations like T-Bar rows and chest supported rows.

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    I would not bulk.

I would continue to cut or maintain till you start to lose strength/aren’t gaining any strength. But also it doesn’t need to be a drastic deficit if you decide to cut. It’s gunna be slow and steady.

Also what is your current lifting routine? What are your squat, deadlift and bench?
    I train legs 2x, pull 2x, push 1x because as EliKoehn pointed out I'm a little chest/shoulder dominant.

Squat: 70kg
    Deadlift: 80kg
    Bench: 60kg
    Row: 50kg

Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post

i) Cut slowly until you lose strength/stop progressing, then switch to maintenance and try to progress on maintenance. Only if that doesn't work, consider "lean bulking".

ii) Stop cutting and progress now at maintenance. You are at a bodyweight where you can look very good after a long time of consistent strength training.

In an ideal world I would favor option ii). But it is psychologically tricky to actually implement this strategy as it takes a long time to visually notice body composition changes (muscle growth is slow), you'll need a lot of patience for that.

I think you should try to avoid "bulking". Most formerly overweight people who lose fat regain most or all of it back again. The exception is if you are 100% sure you can bulk without letting it get out of control.
    I was thinking about moving to maintenance for a couple of months and see if I can reap some newbie gains and benefits from body recomposition, before moving to a moderate caloric surplus (around 10%). Thankfully I love cooking and I am diligent when it comes to tracking macros, so I have to trust myself that I can keep my surplus in check.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I train legs 2x, pull 2x, push 1x because as EliKoehn pointed out I'm a little chest/shoulder dominant.

Squat: 70kg
    Deadlift: 80kg
    Bench: 60kg
    Row: 50kg
    you have a lot of gains strength wise to be made even if you were still losing weight or just maintaining like by 20-30kgs on each lift
    Wincel and SS crew

EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EiFit91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I was thinking about moving to maintenance for a couple of months and see if I can reap some newbie gains and benefits from body recomposition, before moving to a moderate caloric surplus (around 10%). Thankfully I love cooking and I am diligent when it comes to tracking macros, so I have to trust myself that I can keep my surplus in check.
    I think you can gain on maintenance/slight deficit way past the newbie stage, especially as long as you keep modifying your programming when you stall and nutrition/sleep is on point.

In any case I agree with snails that you have a lot of gains to make still, so progressing on maintenance or even in a small deficit should work for a long time.

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    you have a lot of gains strength wise to be made even if you were still losing weight or just maintaining like by 20-30kgs on each lift
    100% agree with that. I've tried working out over the years but I never really liked and it always felt more like a chore to me than anything else. But this time it's finally clicked. I've absolutely fallen in love with the sport and the feeling it gives me.

I'll be moving my calories to around maintenance and keep working hard and just take it from there. Thanks for your tips, greatly appreciated

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think your initial idea about cutting for another 6 weeks then eating at maintenance and going into a small bulk is exactly what you should do. If you do that then by March you should have decent strength levels and have something to cut too for next summer

EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000)

This is an agreeable point. However, I think the important difference here is between the careful, realistic bulk and the extreme, reckless one. I was relatively lean with some decent muscle at 6'2" and about 180 for a few years before I decided to dedicatedly "bulk." Of course I went about it stupidly and thought that all I had to do was prioritize protein and eat immense portions while lifting heavily and regularly. Needless to say I needlessly gained a lot of fat for modest improvements in strength and LBM, that I probably could have made anyway with a more reasonable surplus. In hindsight, I still would rather have done it this way and actually gained the mass and strength than to have spun my wheels chasing minute reductions in bodyfat without getting any bigger or stronger. "Oh no, I have 10-15 pounds of fat to lose to be where I want to be" is a lot better feeling than "Oh no, I have 10-15 pounds of muscle to gain to get to where I want to be" IMO.

That said, 150 is honestly really light. I don't think OP should be afraid to gain slowly, because if he wants to get big, he's going to have to, and shouldn't psychologically shackle himself to an image of his physique at this size. You don't have to go on an extreme, long-term binging spree to legitimately bulk and gain appreciable amounts of mass. Ultimately that's up to him, though.

This is an agreeable point. However, I think the important difference here is between the careful, realistic bulk and the extreme, reckless one. I was relatively lean with some decent muscle at 6'2" and about 180 for a few years before I decided to dedicatedly "bulk." Of course I went about it stupidly and thought that all I had to do was prioritize protein and eat immense portions while lifting heavily and regularly. Needless to say I needlessly gained a lot of fat for modest improvements in strength and LBM, that I probably could have made anyway with a more reasonable surplus. In hindsight, I still would rather have done it this way and actually gained the mass and strength than to have spun my wheels chasing minute reductions in bodyfat without getting any bigger or stronger. "Oh no, I have 10-15 pounds of fat to lose to be where I want to be" is a lot better feeling than "Oh no, I have 10-15 pounds of muscle to gain to get to where I want to be" IMO.

That said, 150 is honestly really light. I don't think OP should be afraid to gain slowly, because if he wants to get big, he's going to have to, and shouldn't psychologically shackle himself to an image of his physique at this size. You don't have to go on an extreme, long-term binging spree to legitimately bulk and gain appreciable amounts of mass. Ultimately that's up to him, though.

I don't have any data here so this is going to be purely anecdotal, but my worry is that for every 10 guys that decide to "bulk", 9 end up taking it too far and even getting stuck in the bulk. I think the probability of this happening is higher if the person in question has a past history of being either overweight or obese. In my experience lifting even encourages staying in the bulk as the bench press in particular typically drops in a cut, adding to the already tough mental challenge of cutting.

And the guy saying "Oh no I have 10-15 pounds of fat to lose" probably needs to lose a lot more. I thought I was going to look good cutting from 230 lbs to 190 lbs at 5'11''. I am 175 lbs now and probably still have at least 10 pounds left to lose to be where I want to be in terms of leanness.

I agree that 150 is light, that's why ideally I would favor progressing at maintenance instead of cutting. But most people don't have the patience for that as it takes so much time to notice body composition changes.

Trying to progress at maintenance may even unconsciously lead to a "lean bulk".

I don't have any data here so this is going to be purely anecdotal, but my worry is that for every 10 guys that decide to "bulk", 9 end up taking it too far and even getting stuck in the bulk. I think the probability of this happening is higher if the person in question has a past history of being either overweight or obese. In my experience lifting even encourages staying in the bulk as the bench press in particular typically drops in a cut, adding to the already tough mental challenge of cutting.

And the guy saying "Oh no I have 10-15 pounds of fat to lose" probably needs to lose a lot more. I thought I was going to look good cutting from 230 lbs to 190 lbs at 5'11''. I am 175 lbs now and probably still have at least 10 pounds left to lose to be where I want to be in terms of leanness.

I agree that 150 is light, that's why ideally I would favor progressing at maintenance instead of cutting. But most people don't have the patience for that as it takes so much time to notice body composition changes.

Well, "needing" to lose is of course relative to one's goals. To be a healthy 15-18%, normal height male you can aim a lot higher than 160 pounds. Just look at the list of tested IFBB champions and you'll even find them above 200. While leaner is always better, I'm more interested in strength and size than physique per se and so have more of a powerlifting mentality. So for me, I'd be more than happy to lose 10-15 pounds and stay there for the rest of my life. I like being big and filling out my shirts. I can hold a pencil between my pecs pull my sleeves tight when I flex and that's gratifying. Am I lean? Nope. Do I have striations? Absolutely not, and I admire and respect those who do. But I also don't feel at all like I "need" to lose 60 pounds to be where I want to be. Again, that's just me and if someone wants to be light and shredded, I'm not going to tell them that's a bad idea.

If you're leaner currently than you are in your avi, you are plenty lean in my book, well done. Are you aiming to compete in a show or to lose more just for a personal goal?

Well, "needing" to lose is of course relative to one's goals. To be a healthy 15-18%, normal height male you can aim a lot higher than 160 pounds. Just look at the list of tested IFBB champions and you'll even find them above 200. While leaner is always better, I'm more interested in strength and size than physique per se and so have more of a powerlifting mentality. So for me, I'd be more than happy to lose 10-15 pounds and stay there for the rest of my life. I like being big and filling out my shirts. I can hold a pencil between my pecs pull my sleeves tight when I flex and that's gratifying. Am I lean? Nope. Do I have striations? Absolutely not, and I admire and respect those who do. But I also don't feel at all like I "need" to lose 60 pounds to be where I want to be. Again, that's just me and if someone wants to be light and shredded, I'm not going to tell them that's a bad idea.

If you're leaner currently than you are in your avi, you are plenty lean in my book, well done. Are you aiming to compete in a show or to lose more just for a personal goal?
    I don’t believe for a second that tested IFBB champions are natty...

I was probably about 20% BF in my AVI, currently about 17% (maybe slightly higher) at 175 lbs. I have a very uneven fat distribution and narrow waist, so when I flex my back I appear a lot leaner even at a higher BF. The other side of the coin is that I cannot aim for a «bear mode» physique as most of my fat is stored in the front... I am hoping to be pleased at 170 lbs (after refilling glycogen stores, so cutting to about 167 first and then back to maintenance), but I’ll have to get there first to know! Realistically I will have to drop more so that’s why I guessed 165.

I don’t believe for a second that tested IFBB pros are natty...

I was probably about 20% BF in my AVI, currently about 17% (maybe slightly higher) at 175 lbs. I have a very uneven fat distribution and narrow waist, so when I flex my back I appear a lot leaner even at a higher BF. The other side of the coin is that I cannot aim for a «bear mode» physique as most of my fat is stored in the front... I am hoping to be pleased at 170 lbs (after refilling glycogen stores, so cutting to about 167 first and then back to maintenance), but I’ll have to get there first to know! Realistically I will have to drop more so that’s why I guessed 165.
    Yeah, that's very well possible. I don't really follow current competitive bodybuilding. However, I DO personally know some huge people who are relatively lean and natural. It's definitely possible, and personally I think many are too quick to dismiss hard work and dedication with the accusation of dat dere.

Wow, I'd say you're 15% in the avi, but distribution can change those guesses quite a bit. I'll trade you fat storage genetics lol. In overhead lighting I have a very faint shading of abs through the belly but I can still pinch a decent inch or so together on my arm. Not sure how usual that is but for a lot of men it just goes straight to their belly and they keep a good jaw-line and major separation everywhere else.

I understand what you are saying

But I’m gunna say I have to agree with eifit91

Also, 200 pound ifbb are not natural

150 May seem small or light. Which it certainly is not over weight. But, based on op’s lifts and current amount of body fat, he has a lot of growing to still do and is very possible without any bulk/weight gain and is possible at a deficit. He lifts are beginner level. The easiest way and the best imo to lose body fat at op’s current state is to cut at a very small deficit. This will allow some strength gains while cutting, which as a newbie is possible. If he were to bulk now, regardless how light his body weight is now he’s just going to add fat. Maintaining isn’t a bad idea either till he stalls out in progress for over three weeks. Then that would be a good time to look at evaluating routine and diet
    Wincel and SS crew

Yeah, that's very well possible. I don't really follow current competitive bodybuilding. However, I DO personally know some huge people who are relatively lean and natural. It's definitely possible, and personally I think many are too quick to dismiss hard work and dedication with the accusation of dat dere.

Wow, I'd say you're 15% in the avi, but distribution can change those guesses quite a bit. I'll trade you fat storage genetics lol. In overhead lighting I have a very faint shading of abs through the belly but I can still pinch a decent inch or so together on my arm. Not sure how usual that is but for a lot of men it just goes straight to their belly and they keep a good jaw-line and major separation everywhere else.
    I certainly agree with you, there are exceptions. My father is one. He has bigger biceps and forearms than most gymgoers, to the point that random people would sometimes comment on it. To add to this he stores absolutely no fat in his arms so he has huge, visible bicep veins even at a high body fat. And I think he never even stepped foot in a gym, just a lot of manual labor. But he also has another thing in common with other natural "freaks"; a large skeletal frame (that I didn't inherit - curse my mom's poverty skeleton). I'd agree with you that there are natty guys who could be accused of being on "dat dere", but I think they will almost universally be big boned guys. When I see someone with a small/average bone structure who looks big, I'll always think he's on dat dere. It's just so much more likely than myostatin deficiency...

I'd personally much prefer Henry Cavill's fat distribution over mine (along with everything else, mandatory nohomo).
    Last edited by EiFit91; 04-26-2021 at 09:29 AM.

I'll make sure to check in a couple of months down the road and post a progress pic