Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Ford F-100 Rebuild - Help wanted

Hey guys,

Pulled my 1979 F100 out of the garage last week after 7-9 years of sitting. Looking for some advice from someone who knows a little more than I do.
    Time to yank the 302 boss out and replace it (beyond rebuild), and I'm looking to drop a 351 Cleveland since I've heard other major components would be interchangeable with the Cleveland.
    However, I have come across a "351 Windsor engine 1989 ford transmission 3 speed manuel 1965 carbu intake and Edelbrock pump", motor and tranny ready to go on a skin for pick up (haven't heard it start or anything, though she looks clean and tight), i will be calling him tomorrow to discuss in more detail when i sit down tonight and put together some type of game plan.

Anyways, im looking for any guidance, recommendations if anyone has experience with the older Ford family of vehicles.

Thanks in advance.
    "To get what you've never had, you must be willing to do what you've never done"

engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Tinge52 View Post
    Hey guys,

Pulled my 1979 F100 out of the garage last week after 7-9 years of sitting. Looking for some advice from someone who knows a little more than I do.
    Time to yank the 302 boss out and replace it (beyond rebuild), and I'm looking to drop a 351 Cleveland since I've heard other major components would be interchangeable with the Cleveland.
    However, I have come across a "351 Windsor engine 1989 ford transmission 3 speed manuel 1965 carbu intake and Edelbrock pump", motor and tranny ready to go on a skin for pick up (haven't heard it start or anything, though she looks clean and tight), i will be calling him tomorrow to discuss in more detail when i sit down tonight and put together some type of game plan.

Anyways, im looking for any guidance, recommendations if anyone has experience with the older Ford family of vehicles.

Thanks in advance.
    Are you sure its a 302 boss? A lot of people tell you that selling an old ford but its actually pretty rare, the 302 Boss was a cleveland engine they modified for Trans-am homologation. More likely is you have some other 335 engine family.

If the old one is pooched I would swap for a Windsor setup, its just a more popular application and the aftermarket is way cheaper. Savings would more than offset buying some motor mounts and having a new driveshaft made.

If you run the casting numbers and have a legit 302 boss core selling it would probably pay for a 351 windsor setup.
    ------♥♥-----
    ----♥♥-♥♥----
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    ----♥♥-♥♥----
    -----♥♥♥-----
    ----♥♥-♥♥----
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    --♥♥-----♥♥--

Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tinge52 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by engj View Post
    Are you sure its a 302 boss? A lot of people tell you that selling an old ford but its actually pretty rare, the 302 Boss was a cleveland engine they modified for Trans-am homologation. More likely is you have some other 335 engine family.

If the old one is pooched I would swap for a Windsor setup, its just a more popular application and the aftermarket is way cheaper. Savings would more than offset buying some motor mounts and having a new driveshaft made.

If you run the casting numbers and have a legit 302 boss core selling it would probably pay for a 351 windsor setup.
    Ok, I will confirm that but im pretty sure its the boss, out of a 68 Mustang. Dads had this truck since i was probably 5-6 years old.. so pushing 25-30 years now.
    But thatd be nice if it is and someone wants to take it off my hands!

Also picked up new 4.11 gear with posi traction for this project! pretty stoked.

As for windsor set up, ya this guy in Quebec had a 351W with the tranny right on it too, asking for $6K, said negotiable too.
    Like i said man, appreciate you even replying, if you are comfortable with questions and what not, can always use PM since this wont be finished overnight lol
    "To get what you've never had, you must be willing to do what you've never done"

engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) engj has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Tinge52 View Post
    Ok, I will confirm that but im pretty sure its the boss, out of a 68 Mustang. Dads had this truck since i was probably 5-6 years old.. so pushing 25-30 years now.
    But thatd be nice if it is and someone wants to take it off my hands!

Also picked up new 4.11 gear with posi traction for this project! pretty stoked.

As for windsor set up, ya this guy in Quebec had a 351W with the tranny right on it too, asking for $6K, said negotiable too.
    Like i said man, appreciate you even replying, if you are comfortable with questions and what not, can always use PM since this wont be finished overnight lol
    The SCCA 302s were in development in 1968, sold to the public in 1969 and 70 model years so I would give slim hope, if you have a legit Boss engine running or not it would be worth more than the 351 set you are buying, just for the heads.

Casting numbers are here http://www.boss302.com/heads.htm

If you are going 4:11s see if you can find a decent AOD automatic. 4:11s behind a C6 is a quick setup but would suck on the highway.

The nice thing is you have about the easiest truck in the world to work on after a square body chevy. Parts are cheap, and they are technically pretty simple. You can almost stand beside the engine in the engine bay.

Depending on your experience level wrenching my first advice is get the Chiltons or Haynes manual, they will give you assy and diassy instructions on almost every system in the thing, give you a list of tools you need for each task so you can make sure you have everything.

Spoiler!

That and get on the Forums, any question ever asked has been asked there, and people post their builds and parts lists so you can get ideas of what it is you are trying to build.

My other rule is rebuild your steering first, brakes second, and then get into anything else. In Canada your cheapest options on parts will usually be Rock Auto.
    Last edited by engj; 04-22-2021 at 03:07 PM.
    ------♥♥-----
    ----♥♥-♥♥----
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    ----♥♥-♥♥----
    -----♥♥♥-----
    ----♥♥-♥♥----
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    --♥♥-----♥♥--

InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by engj View Post

The Boss 302 wasn't a cleveland engine. It was a Windsor block with big port cleveland heads.

Thanks for the info guys, will be doing some reading today!

EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EDcellent has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nice project op, keep us updated.

I own a square body guy (79 K10), but my first truck at 19 was a 73 F100. I didn't have it long enough to work on it (parents made me sell it lol) but it was so cool to own some old steel. C6 trans and a 360 engine, it was a slug but I was redneckmaxxing so I didn't care lol.

Might find another one to fix up and use it as a cruiser when I move out west. I don't have much specific advice for you, but at least I can support the echo chamber for dent side pickups.

If you want to go crazy and ditch the I-beam and kingpins you could look at a crown vic swap.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-vic-swap.html

The front suspension has close geometry, you can buy kits to reduce the fabrication required.

Wouldn't call this a beginner project.
    Last edited by engj; 04-23-2021 at 09:56 AM.
    ------♥♥-----
    ----♥♥-♥♥----
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    ----♥♥-♥♥----
    -----♥♥♥-----
    ----♥♥-♥♥----
    ---♥♥---♥♥---
    --♥♥-----♥♥--