Amount0001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Workout Routine Help at Planet Fitness

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help/advice- I am looking to build muscle in my arms, shoulders and chest and also lose fat around my hips and belly.

I recently joined a Planet Fitness and was wondering if anyone could recommend what the best machines would be for me to utilize. I prefer the machines because I don’t have any experience with free weights and worry if I tried to teach myself I would not get the forms right etc.

I am 5’10 270lb’s 37 years old.

Thank you for your help!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There's one, best way to get experience with a thing: use that thing. Machines will do little to teach you free weight form.

I can't really help with machines because there are dozens of model for each movement replicated and they are different enough that they merit individual recommendations.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PTzFree has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're only a year older than me, so it's probably safe to assume you know how to use YouTube. I highly recommend Athlean-X. He breaks everything down by the numbers and gives you the musculoskeletal/biological/scientific reason behind each movement and the corresponding correct form.

Can't learn something you never do.
    Machines have their place, but they are not a direct replacement for free weights. It'd be like trying to teach your body how to properly ride a motorcycle by riding a 3-wheeler.
    “When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful.”
    ― Eric Thomas, The Secret to Success

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The purple ones.

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I haven't stepped foot into a Planet Fitness and I don't know if they even have freeweights, but I'd join a gym that does and sign up for some personal training sessions to learn the correct techniques. I wouldn't just do a machine-based routine.

And losing weight is mainly about staying out of the refrigerator and putting the fork down.

coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Amount0001 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help/advice- I am looking to build muscle in my arms, shoulders and chest and also lose fat around my hips and belly.

I recently joined a Planet Fitness and was wondering if anyone could recommend what the best machines would be for me to utilize. I prefer the machines because I don’t have any experience with free weights and worry if I tried to teach myself I would not get the forms right etc.

Thank you for your help!
    Usually Planet Fitness has “smith machines” and “adjustable benches”

With those two items you can get big gains.

Chest on the smith machine
    Bench press
    Incline press

Shoulders on the smith machine
    Military press (seated)
    Upright rows

Legs on the smith machine
    Squats
    Front squats
    Calf raises
    *does your gym have a leg press?

For back, use seated row and lat pulldown machines
    Another machine for legs is leg extension/ leg curl machines

Arms on machines
    Seated preacher curls or standing cable curls
    Triceps ext with a cable or on smith machine
    Maybe there’s a dip machine?
    Triceps pushdowns

Plenty to do ...if your gym has dumbbells learn to use those too! Have fun.
    S
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whoever says you can’t make gains with machines and dumbbells is lying to you. I’ve helped a few people transform their bodies when they only had access to a PF to work out at. Feel free to PM me and I can help you better, if you’d like.

Coach has some good advice above ^

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Advice above not consistent with OPs goals to build only arms, shoulders and chest.

coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Advice above not consistent with OPs goals to build only arms, shoulders and chest.
    Nah, goals are not aligned with advice. Ha ha!
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.

Registered User Benchpresser350's Avatar
    Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Benchpresser350 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Amount0001 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help!
    At 5’10 270lb’s untrained I assume you're, a chunky guy, carrying some amount of belly fat and don't want to be a bodybuilder or a power lifter.

FOOD

When you workout you will be hungrier than normal, so you have to be prepared to eat more like a "Strength Athlete" than the regular guy on the street does.

So learning about what's good to eat for this, that you also like, will be one of the keys to your success.

The other key is figuring out how much you need to eat to lose fat and also gain some muscle and strength. It's different for everyone, but there are rules of thumb you can use when starting out, and then modify things to your liking.

3 EXERCISE SUPER BASIC WORKOUT

This won't make you super cut bodybuilder or an Olympic power lifter but if you stick to it for a few weeks you will be stronger and have set a foundation for yourself to move on to more intense exercises.

And when trying to lose body fat learning to eat "Better" and actually following through is as important as being more physically active.

Leg Presses on any Leg Press Machine you like. (Learn to do these from YouTube Videos for the machine you choose).

Do a couple of warm up sets of 8 to 10 with zero weight on the machine. Don't neglect this.

Pick a weight that allows you to go to 5 reps (experiment to find this).

Do 3 sets of 5 reps (you might have to reduce the weight on later sets on some days to hit 5).

Rest as long as you need to between sets and sip a protein drink as a reward for doing so good and for going to the gym.

I think dead lifting there is a no-no so that's out.

Standing overhead Military Press with barbell (Learn to do these from YouTube Videos).

Do 3 sets of 5 reps (you might have to reduce the weight on later sets on some days to hit 5).

Rest as long as you need to between sets and sip a protein drink as a reward for doing so good and for going to the gym.

Pull downs on pull down machine hands facing your face (Learn to do these from YouTube Videos).

Grip a pull-up bar and use it to stretch your arms and shoulder.

Go to the pull down machine and grip the bar with your hands facing your face and pull down until the bar hits your chest bone. That counts as one rep.

If it doesn't hit your chest bone your going too heavy and count that as no-rep for that pull.

Do 2 warm up sets that let you get to 8 reps easily with just a little effort.

Drink a 50 or so gram protein drink when your done then go home and eat a good strength athlete meal that's high in protein, such as a big chicken breast with some rice and a little bit of veggies.

And be ready to try to stick to a better eating plan for the next 4 days after the workout.

Try to do this workout twice a week with 3 rest days in between. Meaning stick to the better eating plan 7 days a week.
    Last edited by Benchpresser350; 04-26-2021 at 09:12 AM.