Reply
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User coachcalande's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Age: 55
    Posts: 1,199
    Rep Power: 4039
    coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    coachcalande is offline

    Simple double progression

    I’m curious how many of you folks have utilized a simple double progression method for gradually overloading your muscles.

    For example let’s say you chose a rep range from 6-10 reps.

    You warm up
    Then you place your training weight on the bar.
    You proceed to do as many reps as you can safely and properly manage with perfect form and no assistance.

    Let’s say your results were...
    1. 100x8
    2. 100x7
    3. 100x6
    4. 100 x 6

    Then the next workout you saw progress with:
    1. 100x9
    2. 100x7
    3. 100x 6
    4. 100x6

    And the next, you achieved the upper guide so raised your weight
    1. 100x10*
    2. 105 x7
    3. 105x6
    4. 105 x 5

    And the next...

    1. 105x8
    2. 105x7
    3. 105x6
    4. 105 x 6

    And the next...

    1. 105x 10*
    2. 110x 9
    3. 110x6
    4. 110 x6

    And so on, every time 10* is achieved, an additional 5 pounds is added.

    An alternative but similar method is the total rep approach, for example, when 30 reps can be completed in 4 sets or less, increase the resistance. (Rest intervals will impact this)

    Anyhow, just curious.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

    Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

    Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Time is Muscle ECGordyn's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Posts: 2,491
    Rep Power: 19092
    ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ECGordyn is offline
    Currently doing a similar protocol for weighted chins and overhead press.

    Chins twice a week
    3 x amrap. Add 2.5kg every 2 weeks.

    OHP
    Wk 1: 3x12
    Wk 2: 3x10
    Wk 3: 3x8
    Wk 4: 3x6

    Twice a week. 2nd OHP workout is 2kg heavier than the 1st workout. 1st workout is 5kg heavier than last week's 1st workout, and 2 reps less. So:

    Wk 1
    Monday 50 x 12
    Thursday 52 x 12

    Wk 2
    Monday 55 x 10
    Thursday 57 x 10

    Wk 3
    Monday 60 x 8
    Thursday 62 x 8

    Wk 4
    Monday 65 x 6
    Thursday 67 x 6

    Then repeat the block. Wk 1 Monday will be 55 x 12.

    Only been doing this for 6 weeks so we'll see how it plays out long term. For stalls I'll probably repeat last week's weight for the planned rep scheme.
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    bw 88.5 age 43

    Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 52,433
    Rep Power: 1321783
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    Totally yes.

    One thing I do (which could be considered an extra dimension to the progression) is deliberately drop the exertion levels down when a new weight is used for the first time. The rationale is that the extra tension is already a new stimulus - so you can milk it for a little longer by starting (say) 2 or 3 reps before failure and ramping that up to more like 1 rep before failure by the time you hit your rep target for the next weight increase.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User coachcalande's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Age: 55
    Posts: 1,199
    Rep Power: 4039
    coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    coachcalande is offline
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Totally yes.

    One thing I do (which could be considered an extra dimension to the progression) is deliberately drop the exertion levels down when a new weight is used for the first time. The rationale is that the extra tension is already a new stimulus - so you can milk it for a little longer by starting (say) 2 or 3 reps before failure and ramping that up to more like 1 rep before failure by the time you hit your rep target for the next weight increase.
    Yes, I have seen that used.

    My son keeps “double PR” records....that is , he likes it when he “graduates twice”...for example:

    1. 100x10*
    2. 105x 10*
    3. 110x8
    4. 110x6
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

    Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

    Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Unregistered User MyEgoProblem's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2015
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 6,612
    Rep Power: 57340
    MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    MyEgoProblem is offline
    I've used it on 'medium' sized lifts..

    I prefer to do a combo of double progression for the first set, a rep goal and timed.

    Do my first set between 10-15 reps @rpe8
    Start a timer for 7 mins
    Then as many sub max sets @rpe 8
    Goal to be 50-70~ total reps in the time.

    Increase load when first set is 15 or more reps or 70~ total. Sounds convoluted but is very simple in execution.
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 04-22-2021 at 01:32 AM.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User Xpiro's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 527
    Rep Power: 3138
    Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Xpiro is offline
    I’m always surprised by how seemingly everybody is able to get the most reps on their first set and pyramid downward in the following ones. If I hit the top of my rep goal, it’s almost always on the last set and occasionally on the second to last. I prefer Viking’s style of DP where I have a total rep goal across all sets, choose a range for myself and pyramid reps up working within that range to keep early sets’ RPE lower (or at least matched, esp when Ive just increased the weight) to preserve energy, and add a rep(s) per session on the last or second to last set and move backward every session. And then move up when the total goal is reached to use one weight across all sets.

    Occasionally I’ll add weight, based on set 1, in the subsequent sets if my intuition tells me that I can. But that’s an exceptional by-feel thing more than any specific protocol. So I guess that’s a bit more like what you’re talking about.

    For people managing more reps on the first set and then pyramiding downward, are your RPEs constant? Do your next sets get harder? Easier?
    Last edited by Xpiro; 04-21-2021 at 05:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User coachcalande's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Age: 55
    Posts: 1,199
    Rep Power: 4039
    coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    coachcalande is offline
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    I’m always surprised by how seemingly everybody is able to get the most reps on their first set and pyramid downward in the following ones. If I hit the top of my rep goal, it’s almost always on the last set and occasionally on the second to last. I prefer Viking’s style of DP where I have a total rep goal across all sets, choose a range for myself and pyramid reps up working within that range to keep early sets’ RPE lower (or at least matched, esp when Ive just increased the weight) to preserve energy, and add a rep(s) per session on the last or second to last set and move backward every session. And then move up when the total goal is reached to use one weight across all sets.

    Occasionally I’ll add weight, based on set 1, in the subsequent sets if my intuition tells me that I can. But that’s an exceptional by-feel thing more than any specific protocol. So I guess that’s a bit more like what you’re talking about.

    For people managing more reps on the first set and then pyramiding downward, are your RPEs constant? Do your next sets get harder? Easier?
    Good question.

    There have been times when it might go something like this:

    1. 100x7
    2. 100x8
    3. 100x6
    4. 100x5

    But I’d say it’s very rare and usually not the first exercise for that body part so the muscles fatigue, lack of recovery...rest interval etc all impact that and subsequent sets.

    For me personally, there’s no “leave one in the tank “ with this kind of training. The first set really is the big test but I can’t see any reason not to train just as hard in all of the sets to get in as much work as possible.

    I think pyramid style training or ramp training both work best if reps are left in the tank so more weight can be added. But, that said, pyramid style can also use double progression.

    The total rep idea, when also combined with double progression makes good sense to me.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

    Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

    Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User Xpiro's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2019
    Age: 51
    Posts: 527
    Rep Power: 3138
    Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Xpiro is offline
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Good question.

    There have been times when it might go something like this:

    1. 100x7
    2. 100x8
    3. 100x6
    4. 100x5

    But I’d say it’s very rare and usually not the first exercise for that body part so the muscles fatigue, lack of recovery...rest interval etc all impact that and subsequent sets.

    For me personally, there’s no “leave one in the tank “ with this kind of training. The first set really is the big test but I can’t see any reason not to train just as hard in all of the sets to get in as much work as possible.

    I think pyramid style training or ramp training both work best if reps are left in the tank so more weight can be added. But, that said, pyramid style can also use double progression.

    The total rep idea, when also combined with double progression makes good sense to me.
    First exercise/first set of the day is always the hardest despite 4-5 ramp sets, and the third tends to be the easiest. I’ve found that adhering to the total rep goal protocol + keeping RPE low allows me to progress smoothly for a pretty long time. So basically, if I hit the rep goal of say 30 reps across 3 sets with 9/10/11 yet still feel like I can do more, I (usually) don’t. 30 is where it ends and I increase the weight across all sets on the next session. Training too close to failure guarantees that I develop bad form habits going forward and hit walls and have to backtrack eventually.

    I haven’t implemented classic pyramiding in that I systematically increase the weight and decrease the reps or vice versa (I might do it on a whim occasionally depending on how I feel as long as I figure I can progress from what I’ve changed in the next session), but I’ve thought about it. I’m a fan of 1 weight/sets across, but maybe I can take advantage of the fact that I can always do more as the sets go on...
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts