Donnerss is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Newbie who is having trouble with progressive overload (Help)

Hey everyone

I have been lifting for about 4 months. I am 5'9 and weigh 68kg. I eat 1600 cals p/d and workout every day using a three-day split (back and bis, chest and tris, legs and shoulders). I am plateauing hard on most of my lifts - for example, I cannot get my bench past 70kgx3x10 even after two weeks. I know my calorie intake is low and that means I won't progress quite as fast but being new I can't imagine it is so low that my progress halts completely. My plan is to get to 12% bf and then do a slow bulk with a miny cut every time I hit 15% (to reduce insulin sensitivity).

What should I do to help push up these lifts?
    Last edited by Donnerss; 04-20-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Donnerss View Post
    I know my calorie intake is low and that means I won't progress quite as fast
    Sounds like you know what the problem is. Accept the consequences of your intake level or change it.

Also, there's a difference between a newbie and someone stuck at a novice level spinning his wheels.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^ He's right about calories. Also increase frequency of each lift. Upper-Lower twice a week, or Full body 3x a week.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Had to check profile to see if OP was male or female. 68kg and dieting. OP, if you really want advice, forget this idea of dieting to 12% first. It won't get you where you think it will. The idea that it will improve insulin sensitivity and p ratio and all that is pretty bogus - there is no good evidence for it. In fact the actual evidence points at people who are higher in BF% having an easier time gaining muscle.

You shouldn't put off the muscle gain phase, I would focus on gaining muscle first, it's the most time consuming and most important part of getting a reasonable physique.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Eat to grow and gain.
    You also have to train to grow and gain.

Simply and kindly put, you have room to eat more and train more.

My opinion, frequent stimulation works best for new training folks because they need PRACTICE in the movements and need to learn how to generate the intensity of effort that leads to gains.

I would suggest , as others already have, targeting each muscle twice a week.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!