Registered User PortmanteauLife's Avatar
    PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Turning 36, never worked out before in my life and have no idea what to do

Howdy everyone!

I'm 35, turning 36 this May. Midwestern boy, always thoughtful about what I ate. Never was the healthiest eater but always tried to do things to help with that. IF 11-7. Only Black Coffee, Green/Brown Tea and Water. No milk or sugar. Take my dog on a walk everyday, that sorta thing.

Lately though, I've noticed I've been getting out of shape and its time to make a change. I eventually want to get into politics (we don't need to talk about that). It's a goal I always wanted to achieve in life, and gives me a strive to lose weight and get into shape. Like it or not, you can be the best talker in the world. But charisma is both external and internal. People are more likely to listen to what you said if you take care of your body.

So I got a gym membership. All I got is a pair of shorts, a YCMA membership and a Walkman with the soundtrack to the 1986 classic "Transformers: The Movie". Sidenote: I know nothing about working out BUT T:TM is one of the best workout soundtracks to this day, prove me wrong. BUT, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

I've started on the treadmill. But that's it, I don't know where to go from there. It's like I'm stuck on a island full of boats that I have no idea how to use. I just hit my coconuts and dream about using them one day. I've seen videos in the past. But nothing I could fine for a middle age man who has never lifted anything heavier then a grocery sack wanting to tackle the weights.

Everyone uses fancy words like "muscles" and "weights". It's too much for 1 mind to take.

ANY advice. At all. Will be a mountain of help. I've already jumped off the plane, there is no going back. I just need to know how to use this parachute before I go SPLAT!

Thanks for listening my rant.

PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome Port. Start at: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=168581133
    Read a bit, get started.
    Let us know your goals. Update on progress.

yes, we hear this a lot. Gets tiring. What won't be tiring is if you stick with it, make progress, and let us know how it's going.
    It's never too late!

5'6", 215

Results:
    2/26/22 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 501/325/540/1366 @ 209lb
    11/7/21 IPL drug tested world championships: 463/319/529/1311 @ 205lb
    6/20/21 USPA Western drug tested regionals: DQ (bombed squats) @ 192lb
    2/27/21 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 468/308/501/1278 @ 202lb
    10/10/2020 USPA FS meet: 407/303/474/1185 @ 212lb

Gym PRs:
    529/336/555

Registered User PortmanteauLife's Avatar
    PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PortmanteauLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PhDPepper1111 View Post
    yes, we hear this a lot. Gets tiring. What won't be tiring is if you stick with it, make progress, and let us know how it's going.
    Then that's what I gotta do. Thanks for the information. Cya around.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try this. Good foundation and it develops the habit of exercising, as it's 45 days straight. Author is a former Navy SEAL who has literally helped thousands of young men and women pursue careers in the military (focusing on special operations) and as first responders.

http://site.stewsmithptclub.com/45dayplan.pdf

OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PortmanteauLife View Post
    Howdy everyone!

I'm 35, turning 36 this May. Midwestern boy, always thoughtful about what I ate. Never was the healthiest eater but always tried to do things to help with that. IF 11-7. Only Black Coffee, Green/Brown Tea and Water. No milk or sugar. Take my dog on a walk everyday, that sorta thing.

Lately though, I've noticed I've been getting out of shape and its time to make a change. I eventually want to get into politics (we don't need to talk about that). It's a goal I always wanted to achieve in life, and gives me a strive to lose weight and get into shape. Like it or not, you can be the best talker in the world. But charisma is both external and internal. People are more likely to listen to what you said if you take care of your body.

So I got a gym membership. All I got is a pair of shorts, a YCMA membership and a Walkman with the soundtrack to the 1986 classic "Transformers: The Movie". Sidenote: I know nothing about working out BUT T:TM is one of the best workout soundtracks to this day, prove me wrong. BUT, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

I've started on the treadmill. But that's it, I don't know where to go from there. It's like I'm stuck on a island full of boats that I have no idea how to use. I just hit my coconuts and dream about using them one day. I've seen videos in the past. But nothing I could fine for a middle age man who has never lifted anything heavier then a grocery sack wanting to tackle the weights.

Everyone uses fancy words like "muscles" and "weights". It's too much for 1 mind to take.

ANY advice. At all. Will be a mountain of help. I've already jumped off the plane, there is no going back. I just need to know how to use this parachute before I go SPLAT!

I beat you here by like a month... but am 5 years older than you... same situation but I'm trying to get a career outside propaganda instead of getting into it. LOL

The best advice I've gained from this board has been about nutrition and picking a basic beginner/novice level plan and just working it. I'm doing a modified version of fierce 5 (modified because I only have a bench, a rack, a barbell and dumbbells at my disposal) - if you're trying to lose weight, learn what your caloric needs are and your macronutrient requirements and build a plan which leaves you short on calories while working the muscles you have so your body doesn't eat them before it eats the fat.... if you're going for bulking, just reverse that... and everyone here keeps reminding everyone else to "lift heavy".

good luck!

modof will become famous soon enough. (+50) modof will become famous soon enough. (+50) modof will become famous soon enough. (+50) modof will become famous soon enough. (+50) modof will become famous soon enough. (+50) modof will become famous soon enough. (+50) modof will become famous soon enough. (+50) modof will become famous soon enough. (+50) modof will become famous soon enough. (+50) modof will become famous soon enough. (+50) modof will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    doesnt get any easier

PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by modof View Post
    doesnt get any easier
    But results ARE self-reinforcing! Keep at it, see the positive changes... you'll get hungry for it!
    It's never too late!

5'6", 215

Results:
    2/26/22 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 501/325/540/1366 @ 209lb
    11/7/21 IPL drug tested world championships: 463/319/529/1311 @ 205lb
    6/20/21 USPA Western drug tested regionals: DQ (bombed squats) @ 192lb
    2/27/21 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 468/308/501/1278 @ 202lb
    10/10/2020 USPA FS meet: 407/303/474/1185 @ 212lb

Gym PRs:
    529/336/555

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by PortmanteauLife View Post
    Howdy everyone!

Welcome aboard, this site is a great wealth of information, Just remember you are in this for the long haul, it's a marathon not a sprint. As far as your island full of boats comment, you joined the YMCA, they probably offer an indoctrination session that will show you how to use the equipment, It's not much but a great start to anyone feeling overwhelmed.

Read the link Pepper provided.

Good Luck, Look forward to seeing your progress.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good for you for wanting to make a change.

Anyone that comes to me for training and is brand new to lifting, I'll typically have them start lifting 4 days a week on an upper/lower split.

So it would look like:

Upper body
    Lower body
    Day off
    Upper body
    Lower body
    2 days off
    repeat

Your primary focus should be on compound exercises. Getting the form down, getting the feel for them, the technique, and being able to feel the targeted muscles working, on most lifts. On deadlifts it's difficult to try to 'feel' a specific muscle working because it works so many.

But those exercises are:

Bench press
    Overhead press
    Barbell Row
    Squats
    Dips
    Deadlifts
    Pull-Ups/Chin-Ups/Pulldowns
    Lunges

Variations of those movements as well. Example: Instead of flat barbell bench, incline dumbbell bench. Or Romanian deadlifts instead of conventional. Or seated cable rows or dumbbell rows instead of barbell rows.

Most of your diet should consist of nutrient dense, quality food like:

Chicken breast
    Fish and other seafood
    Lean red meat
    Lean ground beef and turkey
    Yogurt and cottage cheese
    Beans and lentils
    Quinoa
    Rice
    Whole wheat pasta
    Whole wheat bread
    Potatoes and sweet potatoes
    Oats
    Fruit and vegetables
    Nuts and seeds
    Nut butter

Strive for progressive overload on your lifts. Meaning go for more weight, sets, or reps while maintaining great form, but in the very beginning, perfecting your form comes first. And in the beginning, it'll be easy to add weight, sets, or reps almost weekly.

Eat in a calorie deficit of about 300-500 calories.

Be patient, be consistent.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Google Reviews of GettFit Online Coaching: https://g.page/r/CeuQw8grjXrzEAE

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the ******** Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.********.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You can watch proper lifting form on youtube, but you need a coach to watch your form to see you are doing it right. Don't sign a contract. 2-4 sessions should be all you need. A huge newbie mistake will be lifting too much weight. A coach can see it in your form in the first 5 reps and tell you to reduce the weight.