Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faithbuilders will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Gaining Flexibility...?

Flexibility was never my strongest point; even when I was an athlete. I was a sprinter in High School, and very fast, I had some flexibility, but not a lot. I studied the Martial Arts, I could snap kick someone in the head, but I could never hold my leg up that high. To make a long story short, in my senior year I got hit with a seizure while I was running, and did a face plant on the track, that ripped up my chest, and officially ended my running career. With that tho, most likely out of frustration, and disappointment, I stopped excising all together: (stupid me!)

Anyway fast forward about 20 years later, and here I am, trying to get {back} into shape! But now I seem to have lost all my flexibility, and it hurts to do almost anything that requires even a little stretch.

My question is... is stretching after a workout enough, or should I be doing more, or something different all together? Are there supplements I should be taking that would help? If I should be stretching, do I stretch tell the burn / past the burn / how long should I hold each stretch?

Thank you for your advise.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I talk about stretching I'm talking about long holds etc to increase flexibility, not quick limbering up as part of warmup which we all should do.

Do stretching, but Don't do any stretching before/after weights. Leave at least a couple of hours separate, or preferably the stretching and the weights at opposite ends of the day

Edit: all your questions are probably covered in Pavel Tsatsouline's book "relax into stretch". I'm terrible at stretching too (despite doing lots of martial arts as a kid), you're not alone
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Bodyweight 70g (05/May/2021)

PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Agree with above.
    Also, see a doc/physical therapist. I have been seeing one - more than a decade after fracturing my back - and I'm finally seeing flexibility in places that have been locked up for a very long time. The movements/stretching they have me doing is uncomfortable, and I need to do it several times a day, not just before a work out. But I can definitely tell the difference!
    Why NOT?

5'6", 199

Results:
    2/27/21 PNW drug tested championships 468/308/501
    10/10/2020 FS meet: 407/303/474

Gym PRs:
    479/315/494

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrouchyUSMC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Consistency is what you need, just like anything else. I usually stretch before I go to sleep, either my own routine or a premade routine like ROMWOD or yoga.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Faithbuilders View Post
    Flexibility was never my strongest point; even when I was an athlete. I was a sprinter in High School, and very fast, I had some flexibility, but not a lot. I studied the Martial Arts, I could snap kick someone in the head, but I could never hold my leg up that high. To make a long story short, in my senior year I got hit with a seizure while I was running, and did a face plant on the track, that ripped up my chest, and officially ended my running career. With that tho, most likely out of frustration, and disappointment, I stopped excising all together: (stupid me!)

Anyway fast forward about 20 years later, and here I am, trying to get {back} into shape! But now I seem to have lost all my flexibility, and it hurts to do almost anything that requires even a little stretch.

My question is... is stretching after a workout enough, or should I be doing more, or something different all together? Are there supplements I should be taking that would help? If I should be stretching, do I stretch tell the burn / past the burn / how long should I hold each stretch?

Thank you for your advise.
    Elongate the spine before you bend or twist and do a little bit a lot. Cats and dogs, for example, do the same few stretches 40-50 times a day and always after inactivity.
    Google 'pandiculation'.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) modof has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    try p90x yoga

Registered User DonCarloVizzini's Avatar
    DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DonCarloVizzini has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Have you tried skipping rope?