Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Kettlebell Swings For Ab Work On A Lower Body Day...

Would kettlebell swings be a good movement at the end of a lower body day on an upper/lower split for supersetting as an ab movement with calves?

I've been doing ab rollouts with an ab wheel on those days, but thought of maybe adding kettlebell swings instead as a finisher, or would it be too taxing and more suited for an extra day for cardio work?

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go for it. Ab work is boring anyway.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Go for it. Ab work is boring anyway.
    Yep that's exactly the reason I considered making the switch in movements...just gotta get either the adjustable bell, or a fixed bell to see how I like it then gradually add more resistance as I need it. I'll most likely go with Kettlebell Kings, either this one...

https://www.kettlebellkings.com/12-3...le-kettlebell/

Or one, or two of these...

https://www.kettlebellkings.com/comp...tness-edition/

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    KB swings are mainly hams & glutes. Your power in the swing comes from those muscles, though of course you're bracing core the whole time. They'd be a good finisher at the end of leg day for sure, though not specifically for core.

Turkish Get Ups are much better for core specific KB work.
    Edit: Also Windmills, Bent Press, and Side Press

Another, maybe cheaper brand is Get-Rx'ed. I've got couple KBs from them (available where I live) and they're good quality.
    Last edited by ECGordyn; 04-16-2021 at 07:34 PM.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Caucasian, Bro/Brah/Bruh AlBHappy's Avatar
    AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No. Been doing kettlebells for 12 years as my main training tool.

My 2 favorite ab movements are pullups and stomach vacuums.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kb swing is Great movement.
    But it's crap for 'abs'..
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Kb swing is Great movement.
    But it's crap for 'abs'..
    I’m 99% sure he just doesn’t wanna train Abs, and I don’t blame him.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with the above comment that the KB swing emphasizes glutes/hamstring but is mainly the hips a hip hinge done ballistically that generates the force to move the KB.
    The abs do have a role especially at the top/standing part of the swing to brace the body for a split second before returning the KB between the legs.
    As far a main abdominal movement i think the above comment doing get use is a good one.
    I would recommend 1/2 get up to where you don't stand but get to point where the KB is above your head and hand on the floor with hips off the floor.
    Come back down to the laying position and switch arms.
    If you focus slowly and methodically doing these the abdominals as well as obliques and intercostals will get some great work in.

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    KB swings are mainly hams & glutes. Your power in the swing comes from those muscles, though of course you're bracing core the whole time. They'd be a good finisher at the end of leg day for sure, though not specifically for core.

Turkish Get Ups are much better for core specific KB work.
    Edit: Also Windmills, Bent Press, and Side Press

Another, maybe cheaper brand is Get-Rx'ed. I've got couple KBs from them (available where I live) and they're good quality.
    This is some good info right here, in theory I was thinking of exactly that, the KB swings because of the core involvement while getting the benefits of working the hams and glutes pairing it with the lower day and complimenting those specific movements...as opposed to ab wheel rollouts which are fine, but could be boring since I do 'em months on end along with supersetting them with calves which are also boring to hit.

Now that I see some better choices from the above list of KB moves, I might try rotating in one of those instead for any abs/core specificity.

Another question, being fairly new to decent quality and actual heavier resistance KBs once I get one, or two bells which I decided to see if I dig them in my training rather than going the adjustable route. Would you say a 45 lb and 50 lb bell are good to start with, or should I go with two of the same increment starting weight ones in case I want to do double arm KB movements as well as single arm to start off?

Obviously I could always switch the bell to each hand so maybe the second option is irrelevant.

I might get the Kettlebell Kings along with a promotional discount I have for them, the ones in lbs over the kg ones since lbs is what I'm used to.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 04-18-2021 at 04:23 AM.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    This is some good info right here, in theory I was thinking of exactly that, the KB swings because of the core involvement while getting the benefits of working the hams and glutes pairing it with the lower day and complimenting those specific movements...as opposed to ab wheel rollouts which are fine, but could be boring since I do 'em months on end along with supersetting them with calves which are also boring to hit.

Now that I see some better choices from the above list of KB moves, I might try rotating in one of those instead for any abs/core specificity.

Another question, being fairly new to decent quality and actual heavier resistance KBs once I get one, or two bells which I decided to see if I dig them in my training rather than going the adjustable route. Would you say a 45 lb and 50 lb bell are good to start with, or should I go with two of the same increment starting weight ones in case I want to do double arm KB movements as well as single arm to start off?

Obviously I could always switch the bell to each hand so maybe the second option is irrelevant.

I might get the Kettlebell Kings along with a promotional discount I have for them, the ones in lbs over the kg ones since lbs is what I'm used to.
    A 44 and a 53 would be my choice for more versatility.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

I went ahead and got a 53 for now with a code for 10% off, there wasn't any 44's in stock right now...just 40 and 48.5. In the meantime I'll see how I like the 53 lb bell when it arrives and go from there.

I went with a competition kg one which hopefully isn't purposeless to my specific purpose of getting one, but we'll see and they got a good return policy from what I understand.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 04-19-2021 at 05:02 AM.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I went ahead and got a 53 for now with a code for 10% off, there wasn't any 44's in stock right now...just 40 and 48.5. In the meantime I'll see how I like the 53 lb bell when it arrives and go from there.

I went with a competition kg one which hopefully isn't purposeless to my specific purpose of getting one, but we'll see and they got a good return policy from what I understand.
    Competition ones tend to be all the same size and have better handles for higher reps, so you made a good purchase in my opinion.

Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post
    Competition ones tend to be all the same size and have better handles for higher reps, so you made a good purchase in my opinion.
    I appreciate the vote in confidence on going with the competition ones, I liked the quality of the 24kg so much that I went with a 32kg competition bell as well which arrived not only within 3 days of purchase, but on a Sunday...excellent service from Kettlebell Kings (I'll get a 20kg bell as well at some point).

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    I’m 99% sure he just doesn’t wanna train Abs, and I don’t blame him.
    Right on! I'm gonna incorporate swings in place of ab wheel rollouts like mentioned above to eliminate boredom/torture even if the core involvement is ratio is minimal.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 04-29-2021 at 07:51 PM.

AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I appreciate the vote in confidence on going with the competition ones, I liked the quality of the 24kg so much that I went with a 32kg competition bell as well which arrived not only within 3 days of purchase, but on a Sunday...excellent service from Kettlebell Kings (I'll get a 20kg bell as well at some point).

Right on! I'm gonna incorporate swings in place of ab wheel rollouts like mentioned above to eliminate boredom/torture even if the core involvement is ratio is minimal.
    Good move getting the 32kg and the 24kg. If you don't want to do ab roller, do some stomach vacuums.

Originally Posted by AlBHappy View Post
    Good move getting the 32kg and the 24kg. If you don't want to do ab roller, do some stomach vacuums.

Thanks, since using them, I decided to superset KB swings with ab wheel rollouts which go together well and makes those movements paired up less boring as opposed to pairing it with calves...in fact I now just briefly hit calf raises real quick by themself by the end of the lower body workouts to get 'em over with.

I would say the general consensus was right about starting with the 24kg and 32kg bells...getting the pattern/form done properly is more than adequate starting with the 24kg and it's quickly feeling lighter each workout I use it as I'm dialing in the form.

As for cleans and more technical movements, I could see the value in potentially getting a 20kg bell for form insurance, but overall I'm satisfied with the weights I picked so far.

On the subject of stomach vacuums, I haven't been incorporating them particularly in the routine...however I've been doing them after the workouts a bit just subconsciously to see how ab development/progression has been and it's actually not a bad simple finisher.

Thanks, since using them, I decided to superset KB swings with ab wheel rollouts which go together well and makes those movements paired up less boring as opposed to pairing it with calves...in fact I now just briefly hit calf raises real quick by themself by the end of the lower body workouts to get 'em over with.

I would say the general consensus was right about starting with the 24kg and 32kg bells...getting the pattern/form done properly is more than adequate starting with the 24kg and it's quickly feeling lighter each workout I use it as I'm dialing in the form.

As for cleans and more technical movements, I could see the value in potentially getting a 20kg bell for form insurance, but overall I'm satisfied with the weights I picked so far.

On the subject of stomach vacuums, I haven't been incorporating them particularly in the routine...however I've been doing them after the workouts a bit just subconsciously to see how ab development/progression has been and it's actually not a bad simple finisher.
    I'm a big fan of 20kg. But, you would be surprised at how easier form is, especially for snatches with a heavier bell.

I personally don't like supersetting swings with anything. On the minute works best. 10 minutes, sets of 15-20.

Originally Posted by AlBHappy View Post
    I'm a big fan of 20kg. But, you would be surprised at how easier form is, especially for snatches with a heavier bell.

I personally don't like supersetting swings with anything. On the minute works best. 10 minutes, sets of 15-20.
    I'm thinking of getting either a 20kg, or 28kg bell next. I also been wanting to try out single arm swings with the bell as well.

I definitely will try out that 10 minutes on the minute too, sounds like a good challenge.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 05-10-2021 at 06:23 AM.