OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50)

6 weeks of progress. gains already

So I've now made it a full 6 weeks of legitimately lifting consistently... only 4 weeks of following a real plan (modified Fierce 5). I'm not really doing rest days bur rather I've shifted the exercise routine to target arms/chest 1 day and legs/back the next day. giving each muscle group a day off while I focus on the others. (In cut rather than bulk mode so in my mind I'm really just getting my body used to lifting during this cut phase before I will likely need to adjust the routine to include legit rest days as I start tying to bulk and really pushing my muscles.)

I've added weight (10-15lbs-ish) to each exercise, shed 2" off my waist and dropped 14lbs through a 500calorie per day deficit and increased activity level which probably makes it more like a 600-700 calorie deficit - 183lbs to 169lbs. - still maintaining 150-160g of protein per day.

My upper body feels stronger all together. I don't feel like my legs are any stronger but I am squatting more so the strength gains must be there in spite of the calorie deficit (or maybe it's just that I'm lifting as much as I was at original weight but now more of that is plate and less of that is body)

just wanted to post this as a bit of inspiration for other noobs and remind them that if you're working a plan and putting in the effort you'll get results!

I have about 15lbs left to cut until I'll be happy with the fat levels before I'll move into a modest bulk shooting for about a 200 calorie per day surplus at that point in the hopes that I can put on about a pound of muscle per month and I intend to work that for about 2 years with a goal of returning to the starting weight at a 10-12% body-fat level instead of the 25% (maybe worse) with which I started.

I now have a full bench with a preacher pad and a squat rack and have close to 300lbs of plates (not that I use that much weight at this point) and have about 90lbs of total plates for the dumbbells... and I bought a pull-up/dip bar but haven't mounted it yet. I've been walking to the elementary school around the corner and using the monkeybars for pull-ups and dips thus far.

Anyway. I'm trying to use the advice guys here have shared and it seems to be paying off. Thanks for the tips/suggestions.

PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good work. Keep it up!
    It's never too late!

5'6", 215

Results:
    2/26/22 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 501/325/540/1366 @ 209lb
    11/7/21 IPL drug tested world championships: 463/319/529/1311 @ 205lb
    6/20/21 USPA Western drug tested regionals: DQ (bombed squats) @ 192lb
    2/27/21 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 468/308/501/1278 @ 202lb
    10/10/2020 USPA FS meet: 407/303/474/1185 @ 212lb

Gym PRs:
    529/336/555

Registered User Vanilla-Gorilla's Avatar
    Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by OldManNoob View Post
    So I've now made it a full 6 weeks of legitimately lifting consistently... only 4 weeks of following a real plan (modified Fierce 5)...

Anyway. I'm trying to use the advice guys here have shared and it seems to be paying off. Thanks for the tips/suggestions.
    May you have continued success!
    Pssst, Hey Buddy, your back is not that big, and your arms don't normally hang that way.

xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pretty awesome that you progressed that quickly.

Seems like you have things dialed in pretty well.

Amateur boxer turned bodybuilder...

Hit me up on Sherdog.. TeTe

Road to 190@15% bf

June 2020 = 185 @20.5% bf
    June 2021 = 183 @18.2% bf

OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xTeTe View Post
    Pretty awesome that you progressed that quickly.

Seems like you have things dialed in pretty well.
    I used to be quite the athlete decades ago... but any success I'm having is due to the info/insight I've gained here. I'd have been spinning my wheels for a lot longer without the advice folks here have shared. It's like anything else in life... if you want to be good at something try to learn from people who've already demonstrated they're good at it.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is when I become the party pooper and say "NO", you're going to crash and burn.

Make sure you have a day of complete rest. Yes you can work arms while you rest legs or whatever, but it's still the same blood, same liver, same hormone system (endocrine), etc. Re-jiggle it to have 1 complete rest day each week.

Also make sure the progression is slightly too slow, so you always think "I should have done a little more", that way it's sustainable for longer term. Not crash and burn at12 weeks.

Other than that... Really pleased to hear your success. Keep on going!

Edit: it is inspiration for others, rep+1 !

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    This is when I become the party pooper and say "NO", you're going to crash and burn.

Make sure you have a day of complete rest. Yes you can work arms while you rest legs or whatever, but it's still the same blood, same liver, same hormone system (endocrine), etc. Re-jiggle it to have 1 complete rest day each week.

Also make sure the progression is slightly too slow, so you always think "I should have done a little more", that way it's sustainable for longer term. Not crash and burn at12 weeks.

Other than that... Really pleased to hear your success. Keep on going!

Edit: it is inspiration for others, rep+1 !
    Thanks for the tips, Tom! I agree with the rest days... I'll need to include them as I start actually trying to gain mass and really work the muscles... but I'm not lifting very heavy at this stage, just getting myself into the routine of actually "doing the thing" and creating a habit. I started SOOOOO weak that the gains I've seen are just from actually engaging the muscles for the first time in decades. I assume it will get much harder once I reach a reasonable strength level.