Lucarious has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lucarious has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Should losing fat be my goal?

Hey guys,

Been working out for a few years, but not always consistent due to life getting in the way, but I have some muscle definition from it.
    The last couple of weeks I'm changing it up, as Ive decided I wanted to get cut, so my muscles can be more defined.

DIET:

I lowered my calorie deficit from 2400 cals to 1750, I tried 2000 calories for a month or two and barely saw progress. I learnt that I could have been doing it for so long perhaps 2000 calories became my new 'maintenance calories', so decided to lower this further.
    Daily, I'm eating chicken, eggs, veg, carb (bread/pasta/rice), with the odd treat such as dark chocolate, so life isn't a misery.

WORKOUT:

I generally weight train 4-5 times a week, working mostly upper half, but have weighted squats, deadlifts, etc, in between sessions.
    I do HIIT bike intervals 4 times a week.
    I plan on including more resistance training 3 times a week into my schedule.

SUMMARY:

I'm basically just trying to work out where I'm at. I know the general advice is to keep at this longer, as I'm not expecting huge results on two weeks at 1750 calories, and resistance training will help. But recently had someone even suggesting lowering my calories even more!

I've attached pictures for reference, but would be intrigued to know if you guys are seeing any clear areas to work on and how I really can 'trim the fat.'

Thanks!

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have a very hard time believing you don't lose fat on 2k calories... I suspect you're not counting right.

Furthermore, your exercise summary confused me.

You said you're training 4-5 days a week with weights, then you said you want to include MORE weight training 3 times a week... what does that mean? That's a reduction.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Lucarious has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lucarious has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    I have a very hard time believing you don't lose fat on 2k calories... I suspect you're not counting right.

Furthermore, your exercise summary confused me.

You said you're training 4-5 days a week with weights, then you said you want to include MORE weight training 3 times a week... what does that mean? That's a reduction.
    Is it possible my standard maintain calories have just decreased?

Also, I get what you mean! I currently work out 4-5 days a week, mostly weight training,. but will implement resistance training into 3 of those days, on top of the original workout.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    What is your height and weight OP? I too find it hard to believe that you aren't losing weight on 2k calories - most likely cause is miscounting.

Your calorie requirements can adapt a small amount - but those numbers are too far out for that to be the reason.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    What is your height and weight OP? I too find it hard to believe that you aren't losing weight on 2k calories - most likely cause is miscounting.

Your calorie requirements can adapt a small amount - but those numbers are too far out for that to be the reason.
    Height - 179.8cm
    Weight - 168 lbs

So if there's no benefit to decreasing calories, shall I just keep persevering on what I'm doing?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Lucarious View Post
    Height - 179.8cm
    Weight - 168 lbs

So if there's no benefit to decreasing calories, shall I just keep persevering on what I'm doing?
    No, that's not exactly what I was saying - I think you might be miscounting so your calories are actually higher than 2000. So you need to make a reduction from whatever it actually is.

If you take what you consider to be 2000 - and you are saying that this resulted in no weight loss for 1 month - then if you reduce this by 300 calories and try that for another month...

You actually said "barely saw any progress" - can you quantify this a little more clearly.

If you have a full set of weigh in data (dates and weights), post that.